Setting up Elevon mixing on a FS-i6s

tletang

Hi All,
I have a flysky fs-i6s radio with the latest firmware (2.2) and I'd like to set it up to use with my ft mini arrow. I can't find an elevon option in the menu but there is a mix menu. It seems to only allow me to setup one mix, I'd need two for elevons. Am I missing something or can this radio only have one mix setup?

Thanks

jtrops

Unless something has changed in your firmware the setup is on page 16 in the manual, and it looks pretty straightforward. The one hang up I could see if you're just trying to figure it out is that mixing needs to be "off" in order to program any changes to the mix.

I don't have the i6s, so I hope this helps.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I tried on my iA6 and decided I would rather be flying so I grabbed a "V" tail mixer and said "Stuff It" to trying to fight the programming to get what I wanted.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jtrops

I tried on my iA6 and decided I would rather be flying so I grabbed a "V" tail mixer and said "Stuff It" to trying to fight the programming to get what I wanted.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had never heard of the "V-Tail Mixer" until you posted about it. After looking it up that seems like a decent way to go if you just want to get it in the air without trying to wrap your head around the programming. It looks like it would be about the same weight as a servo extension, and it's only a few dollars.

On the other hand, I found it pretty simple to get my Sparrow flying right using the mixing in the FS-i6. The i6s is a little different though in that it only has one mix available, and that the user decides which channels mix. In some ways it looks a little easier to set up, to be honest, since you can just tell it to mix (like channels 1 and 2 for elevon mixing). And if the control surfaces are moving in the wrong direction you could reverse them, or just swap the channels that the servos are plugged into.

In my case with the i6: the Sparrow has a V-Tail, and so you would think the V-Tail mix would do the trick. The problem is that the V-Tail mix in the i6 didn't give me the correct controls (2-4). After some trial and error I discovered that the Elevon mix (1-2)was what I really needed, and with it set up that way it flies beautifully. I had some time to figure this out, and by the next day the only problems I had controlling the plane were due to my lack of skill.

If I had the i6s I would take the time to learn how to program it. One of the reasons to have a capable radio is so that you don't have to use workarounds to make things function. I also like tinkering.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you for your input and I do now know the programming steps required. My situation is a little out of the ordinary in that I build, repair, and test fly for others and having been around RC for most of my life in its different forms. I have a reservoir of old school parts including "V" tail mixers.

When doing a quick build so that the test flight is next morning and knowing my Rx/Tx installation is only temporary I do normally fit a mixer rather than do a temporary change to my transmitter setup. The real owner of the plane will fit his own Rx and do his own programming as required, though they often use my "V" Tail mixer installation for their first flights and do their own proper setup at home.

Too many hours can be wasted on the field trying to program something that no one has ever done before. The field is for flying and the workbench is for all other things.

jtrops

Too many hours can be wasted on the field trying to program something that no one has ever done before. The field is for flying and the workbench is for all other things.

Very true! That's sort of where I was headed when I mentioned that I had plenty of time to figure it out before flying. To be honest it might be worthwhile for me to have a V-Tail Mixer in the field box. We have a lot of students building, and once we get out to the field it would be nice to have a quick fix for bad mixing.