ShrubSmacker Build

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Grifflyer, any thought of doing the flaps with wire yoke that attaches to the flaps like your but has the two wires joined at the center with a control horn so the flap servo can be mounted in the middle of the wing. I like what you did tying them together with one servo instead of what Josh does on the Legacy using two servos tied with a Y harness!
I originally was going to do that, but I couldn't find a way to mount a control horn to the rod. If I would start looking into the realm of pre bought parts or more "exotic materials" it could easily be done, but I wanted to make the design buildable by someone who has built any of FT's planes.

Are you thinking of building one?

GlassL

I originally was going to do that, but I couldn't find a way to mount a control horn to the rod. If I would start looking into the realm of pre bought parts or more "exotic materials" it could easily be done, but I wanted to make the design buildable by someone who has built any of FT's planes.

Yeah the flap yoke on my old Telemaster was off the shelf but worked so well. Again that was as a balsa kit and you buried the tubes for the wire into the joint between the main wing and TE. since we build in foam now the TE is solid with the main wing so you would have to cut a groove into the bottom of the wing in line with the hinge line of the flaps. I really like your design it looks more like my Telemaster in mini and I will have to build on after I get past beating up my TT!

GlassL

Something like this would work, again you could use an old servo control horn for the arm, everyone has left over horned lying around after a couple of builds.

GlassL

This thread has been dead for a bit so I thought I would update. Awhile ago I was flying this little gem in my back yard, got a couple acres to play with, and I was testing out some receivers. Needless to say the receivers were the wrong format and it was a bad decision to fly with so many trees around, over and over. Anyway I had a loss of signal and the plane glided out of the yard, over the trees, across the ravine, and came to rest in a spruce tree. Now I call this the SpruceSmacker and not Shrubsmacker. It did settle at about 50' up in a heavily wooded area on a steep hill. although it was disappointing at the time to lose all those electronics I eventually got over it and moved onto the standard size planes, the Minis were all but forgotten.

Recently in cleaning up the garage I came across a couple of my other Mini planes and in looking at them I now want my electronics back. Being that today is a windy day, to windy for flying, but windy enough to possibly knock a plane out of a tree, i went for a walk in the ravine. Even though it was so long ago that I lost the plane I managed to hone in on the same tree in the woods where i had lost the plane. I looked up and sure enough i saw it, same tree, just a little further down, lodged in the branches. Now the wing is off and hanging on to the fuse by the servo wires straddling the branch.

In a way this is encouraging to retrieve it because it has made progress on it's own to come back home, but in doing so it is now stuck in a worse predicament then it started. I would like to be able to take some long PVC tubing out there and attach them end to end to reach the branches but I don't think I have anything around that would work. I don't own a ladder that size, which would be a nightmare to get in, and if i got it in, almost impossible to get out. I don't own a shotgun either so that's not an option.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
A telescopic pole like they sell for painting ceiling without a ladder, not sure id one of those would be long enough.

GlassL

Something like this would work, again you could use an old servo control horn for the arm, everyone has left over horned lying around after a couple of builds.
forget to add the drawing, you'll have to forgive an old man!

Attachments

• 20191214_104009.jpg
    20191214_104009.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 0

GlassL

These shots are taken from the drone...
View attachment 150827 View attachment 150828
The servo wire from the wing to the fuse is wrapped around the branch. From this angle it looks like you could just reach out and grab it. We tried taping a 7' fishing rod to the drone but the quad didn't like that very much, broke some blades when it hit the ground lol
She looks lonely up there she needs a friend!:eek: