Sony's prototype VTOL UAV

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I read that they made it for lifting capacity. Still haven't seen that test.

ZoomNBoom

One of the best concepts for a VTOL Ive seen so far. Should be efficient both for hovering and level flight.

ZoomNBoom

I read that they made it for lifting capacity. Still haven't seen that test.

Its early day; I didnt even know they where flying it yet. But those large props should be able to lift quite a bit. The article says 22 lbs payload. Ill believe that when I see it, but it should be impressive either way.

HawkMan

From the design of it, I'm pretty sure they hired the team on some asian university who designed and built a nearly identical VTOL plane for their main project.

Gryf

Any load it would carry would need to be located at the CG, more or less - in this case, above or below the motor/prop assembly. That would block a lot of airflow... meaning, this is a seriously cool VTOL, but I don't see it carrying much.

Gryf

ZoomNBoom

Any load it would carry would need to be located at the CG, more or less -

Not necessarily. You can add payload without shifting cg as you could provide some leveraged counter balance in so far that is needed. Or you could distribute the load; wings seem a little thin on that prototype to carry massive payloads, but there ought to be room in there,if nothing else for the batteries. But most importantly, a shifting cg shouldnt be a huge problem, you have the nose EDF to compensate for that in hover mode; and in level flight, well, we all know a slightly forward cg isnt a problem.

TBH, looking at the model Im more curious where they could possibly store 22lbs of payload than how it would affect balance and control.