Spitfire battery placement?

jtflyer

I was wondering where te battery needs to be placed/how to the spitfire. Also where the cg is suppose to go? photo 1 (1).JPG photo 2.JPG

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
where your battery is going to go depends on what battery you are using. I have a 1300 3s on mine and it is about 1/2" forward of the firewall. As for cg, when you look at the wing, going from the leading edge, i am about 1/2" behind the first fold. It is not nose down there, but level. Balance it upside down or you will go nuts trying to find a balance point!

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Then your battery will likely be behind the firewall. The spitfire is large enough that it is a bit forgiving on cg, but...err on the side of nose heavy until you get a feel for it.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I just notice that you don't have a spinner on your spitfire, so I must rescind my previous statement. The battery may end up in front of the firewall...the spinner certainly skews the cg forward.

jtflyer

I just notice that you don't have a spinner on your spitfire, so I must rescind my previous statement. The battery may end up in front of the firewall...the spinner certainly skews the cg forward.

I do have a spinner coming in the mail so i guess that should help

bartholomule

Mine balanced with a 2200 3s 35C battery inside the pod and touching the firewall with the nice D2826-6 2200kv motor. When I put the spinner on (a little extra weight 3+ inches in front of the firewall), I was able to move the battery back about an inch.

I did notice that the metal spinner I got made it much more likely for me to shear off a prop when doing a belly landing. Before the spinner, about 1 in 20 or 25 flights would break on a fairly smooth belly landing. After adding it I jumped up to about 1 in 4 landings shearing off my Master Airscrew propellers at the edge of the spinner. I would guess that a plastic spinner wouldn't have caused as much shearing prop damage, but I don't have one for comparison purposes.