Still up a tree

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
September 9th I managed to land my Skymaster in a tree.

Skymaster Oopps.JPG

We had a nice thunder storm blow through last night with 60mph gusts but apparently the ground crew tied the plane down very well and this morning, 6 days later, it's still in the tree. "How high is it?" you may ask.

IMG_3285.JPG IMG_3286_LI.jpg

The low end of my sight is 3' off the ground. Google maps says the tree is 390' from my "transit" which has an elevation of 9 degrees. H = 390 x Tan 9 + 3 = 65'
And the ground slopes downhill from me to the tree but I'm not wading through the soybeans to find out how much.
Edit: USGS maps show a 2' drop so AGL = 67'
And I thought I'd never use trigonometry again after graduation!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
September 9th I managed to land my Skymaster in a tree.

View attachment 207548

We had a nice thunder storm blow through last night with 60mph gusts but apparently the ground crew tied the plane down very well and this morning, 6 days later, it's still in the tree. "How high is it?" you may ask.

View attachment 207549 View attachment 207550

The low end of my sight is 3' off the ground. Google maps says the tree is 390' from my "transit" which has an elevation of 9 degrees. H = 390 x Tan 9 + 3 = 65'
And the ground slopes downhill from me to the tree but I'm not wading through the soybeans to find out how much.
Edit: USGS maps show a 2' drop so AGL = 67'
And I thought I'd never use trigonometry again after graduation!

This is the reason we have nephews and 12 gauge shotguns. One er tothers gonna get it outta that tree for you. Saves doin all that maths on week ends.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

Piotrsko

Master member
All of this wouldn't happen if you didn't violate the first rule of flight: stay in the middle of the sky, the edges are dangerous. Edges can be determined by the presence of the telephone poles, trees, mountains, buildings, etc. No one has ever collided with the sky or even clouds.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
All of this wouldn't happen if you didn't violate the first rule of flight: stay in the middle of the sky, the edges are dangerous. Edges can be determined by the presence of the telephone poles, trees, mountains, buildings, etc. No one has ever collided with the sky or even clouds.
😂😂😂... The wind 🍃 is also another edge to stay away from 😂😁😜

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Give me time... Bills Law RULES ALL!!!!!!!1

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
fishing pole with a lead weight and/or hook will get up there. Also you cam make a monkey fist out of rope and use it too.
I don't know, guys. I appreciate all the ideas but unfortunately, thanks to a miss spent youth, my shoulders are shot. Honestly I'm not sure that even in great shape I could accurately cast 65 feet up accurately. A good wind storm is probably my best bet.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Oh, well now you tell me! :D:eek::LOL: