Stock FrSky software VS OpenTX software

kc-unreal

Ok, So here is my question. I have a Taranis and wanted to know if there are any significant reasons to want to install a version of OpenTX from the OpenTX web site? My Taranis still has the same software installed on it that it came with, version 2.1.6. I think that there is a newer version (2.1.9) available. Is it worth the time updating???

Second, With having the stock software installed, is it possible to use the companion software from OpenTX? I have tried and tried to get my transmitter to work with the companion, but it won't communicate with it. I have installed the driver that is specified by OpenTX, but it wont work with the companion. I am using a windows 10 machine, and checked the device manager and it does show the STM32 Bootloader in the list under Universal Serial Buss Devices when the TX is powered off. I used Zadig to install the driver. I am able to see the TX (or just the SD card) in My Computer. Any help would be appreciated!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Usually, you'll need the version of companion that matches your opentx firmware on the TX. In your case, it would be: http://www.open-tx.org/2015/11/11/opentx-2.1.6

I would suggest, if you don't need the bug fixes and upgrades since 2.1.6, there's no need to update. Unfortunately, the only way to know if the newer versions are right for you is to look through the release notes: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/releases?after=2.0.20

If you connect the TX to your computer by USB by first powering it up with the two bottom trim tabs pulled towards the power button, then you should see two USB drives mounted. Once you do, companion should be able to read the configs.

kc-unreal

My TX is working fine, I just didn't know if it would be worth updating. I guess i'll just stick with 2.1.6 for the time. When I hold the two trim buttons inward, power on, and the connect to my PC, I only see the E: dive mounted and not any other drive. Thanks for the insight!!!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The primary functional reason I'd see for upgrading would be if you want to use the new FrSky S6R or S8R receivers with build in flight stabilization. To control the stabilization settings of those receivers from the transmitter you need to be on OpenTX 2.2 - but you can still do all the stabilization setup for those receivers from the desktop through USB connection and still bind and fly them with the older OpenTX or stock FrSky transmitter firmware.

There were some significant improvements in telemetry functionality and control between 2.1.6 and 2.1.9/2.2 also, but if it's not causing you any heart-ache now, I'd say stay with what works until they come out with a killer new function you just can't get along without. :)

kc-unreal

Thanks for the info. But I still can't get my TX to connect to companion. There is supposed to be two drive that show up when connected, but I only see one and that's the E: drive.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for the info. But I still can't get my TX to connect to companion. There is supposed to be two drive that show up when connected, but I only see one and that's the E: drive.

It is possible that you need to update the bootloader before you can get that to work. The version of 2.1.6 that FrSky originally shipped had a bad bootloader. FrSky don't seem to able to get their act together coordinating with the OpenTX team. FrSky posted a fixed version on their site but it seems they did not necessarily update shipping radios...I would not use their version since they seem to take a random snapshot rather than a released version of OpenTX

To update the boot loader you need to get Companion. I would suggest leaving OpenTX 2.2 alone for now since its not released yet and you probably don't need what it adds.

If you want to try upgrading...I suggest 2.1.9 for now.

http://www.open-tx.org/2016/09/15/opentx-2.1.9

I posted instructions a short while ago...I will find them...

kc-unreal

Pressalltheknobs that's exactly what I did! After updating to 2.1.9 everything worked great. I, however was unaware of the bad bootloader issue. The Taranis is a great TX, but FrSky needs to get it together when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks though for the help!