Strange quad's throttle response

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok the way you wrote what is happening is kind of confusing. Lets get back to basics. I REALLY need to know what orientation the FC is physically in. A top down picture of the fc and how you have it wired would also really help a lot.

1. Is the main power wire on the right side of the quad.
2. is the sd card slot on the top of the fc or bottom.
3. did you solder the motor wires to each adjacent corner of the fc or have they been moved to other configurations.

Jadawin

Hello PsyBorg,

As the image:

IMG_1248.jpg

I mounted the FC exact as in the image with SD card at the bottom of FC and the main power wire at the right side... practically looking at that arrow direction on the board to follow
Then I connected ESC's to each angle (S3 and RX6 connectors plus power) and the radio stuff to TX4 and RX2 (SBUS) plus G and 4V5 connectors.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That "sounds" Ok but again a picture of the actual wires you have done would really help as well as let us see how the props are mounted and all that.

My only question and I think I understand why is on your sbus receiver you crossed all the way over the board to connect Sport to tx 4 when TX2 would would work just fine.

IF all the wiring is correct which it sounds it should be, and IF the motors are turning the correct way, and IF the radio channels are assigned and set properly with end points and centers we narrow the issue down to:

1.ESC calibration.
2. correct prop mounting. If you have one prop with the letters facing down that would cause strange behavior.
3. Improper use of trims in the radio. NO trimming should ever be done on the radio. In fact they should be totally disabled as the accelerometers get calibrated and that is what the computer uses as a base level.
4. a trim offset or fc offset has been set in betaflight

that all said...Betaflight is seriously over loaded with filters and sliders and any combination of all that mess can really confuse a flight controller and new builder. A default filter setting "should" work but has been known to still be an issue with the many various hardware set ups.

Then we have that whole "gears" thing you mentioned earlier we still have yet to work out. I am not sure by that if you mean you burned up a motor or esc or your quad has a geared drive system for to propellers and you stripped gears.

Jadawin

1.ESC calibration.
2. correct prop mounting. If you have one prop with the letters facing down that would cause strange behavior.
3. Improper use of trims in the radio. NO trimming should ever be done on the radio. In fact they should be totally disabled as the accelerometers get calibrated and that is what the computer uses as a base level.
4. a trim offset or fc offset has been set in betaflight

Then we have that whole "gears" thing you mentioned earlier we still have yet to work out. I am not sure by that if you mean you burned up a motor or esc or your quad has a geared drive system for to propellers and you stripped gears.

Hello Psy!
Hope you're healthy and safe! :)

Anyway,

1. Since I am using DSHOT 600 on betaflight (having 4 x Lumenier 36A BLHeli_32 32bit 2-6S w/ Telemetry, they are compatible also with DSHOT 1200 which is available on INAV but not in betaflight), so I think there is no need to calibrate ESCs
2. Propellers are mounted correctly following direction (internally in front and externally behind, being careful of the orientation of each propeller on each motor.
3. No trims are settled on the trasmitter, neither on betaflight....I read almost everywhere it would be better to avoid trims if possible...
4. There are no offsets in betaflight I think... I'm gonna re-check

I wrote bad about gears... I meant propellers, because they are susceptible of breaking if quad falls down....

p.s. : On ESCs I have Siskin_GD_32_Plus 32.7 but I read on the documentation of BLHeli32 Suite for PB6 port I could use different firmwares, or it's recommendable to maintain the original firmware that's present in ESC's?

drewdcsi

Man you guys have alot of stuff going on there, seems like gotta be Einstein to understand.
Im having a throttle issue also is it rude to jump in? Hope not.
I just bought a emax hawk pro and since i have a bunch of gear from the past flying colective pitch helis thought i would use my futaba 8fg. So i hooked up sbus and downloaded betaflight and everything is working except having throttle problems.
Just to let you know a few years back i have had to many to count helicopters from mcpx to trex700 all have been electric. So i know i little about all this type of stuff but there is do much involed ive forgotten allot about helis now.
Anyway what happens is after the quad is armed flip off throttle hold and the motors take off going pretty fast.
Now I've come across a couple posts that say that is happening because without props installed the flight controller is trying to make adjustments but really cant. I have been mot wanting to just go try it but have done it yet

Bricks

Master member
Man you guys have alot of stuff going on there, seems like gotta be Einstein to understand.
Im having a throttle issue also is it rude to jump in? Hope not.
I just bought a emax hawk pro and since i have a bunch of gear from the past flying colective pitch helis thought i would use my futaba 8fg. So i hooked up sbus and downloaded betaflight and everything is working except having throttle problems.
Just to let you know a few years back i have had to many to count helicopters from mcpx to trex700 all have been electric. So i know i little about all this type of stuff but there is do much involed ive forgotten allot about helis now.
Anyway what happens is after the quad is armed flip off throttle hold and the motors take off going pretty fast.
Now I've come across a couple posts that say that is happening because without props installed the flight controller is trying to make adjustments but really cant. I have been mot wanting to just go try it but have done it yet

Not a quad guy but on planes when this happens check your throttle end points both in Betaflight and transmitter.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@drewdcsi Unlike helis EVERYTHING gets set up in the flight controller. No trims are ever used, no Expo either. That is done by balancing Rate and Super rates. throttle cut usually is not used either as you need the motors spinning at least a little to hold orientation in free fall moves like dives, bottom half of power loops, end of Split s... stuff like that.

The idle is set low between 3% and 5% so they spin when you arm the quad. you can shut that off but its not recomended as its easy to forget the quad is armed that way.

Things to check if you think the motors spin too fast immediately after arming is if the throttle is backwards. Check that in the receiver tab of betaflight and you can see what your inputs are really telling the quad to do. My suspicion is there is some confusion with you using throttle cut in that mix going on.

Sitting on a solid surface, specially with any kind of self leveling will make the quad hunt to find level. Check if this is the case (WITH OUT PROPS ON THE QUAD) by arming the quad and letting the motors spool up. Then simply pick it up and they should calm right back down and only do subtle changes to counter your shaky hand holding the quad. Then while you are holding it tilt one corner down at a time. That motor should spool up a bit. If it does not you have motor order or flight controller orientation issues and should not attempt to fly until that gets sorted.