Suggestion for Mad Scientist

mickvk

I've been a fan for a while and I appreciate that Flitetest has some well thought out goals like Fellowship, Growing the hobby, Servitude, etc. As a fan I appreciate all the additional things like wacky challenges, build videos, FPV, etc. But the thing that hooked me was David and his mad scientist builds (the propane afterburner on a foamy was probably my all time fave). Peter filled that position surprisingly well, big shoes after all. The role seems vacant now. We could use a mad scientist, am I right?

fixnfly

I miss the crazy build challenges also. Those are the main reason I started watching flite test. I have many crazy builds myself that I would like to do, but lack the funds to spend time building. I would love to see someone at flight test take up this mantle again. To me, it was the best part.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
There is a fine line between mad scientist shenanigans and breaking the law, and that line is shifting in treacherous sand in the USA. I am kinda surprised no federal warrants were served after Peter blew up the star destroyer with a homemade 'warp drive'.

Don't get me wrong. I loved it and would like to see more. But I also don't want Josh to do prison time because he did something 'illegal' without knowing it and posted it on Youtube.

I think the issue has less to do with FliteTest talent and more to do with legal fear but that is my own buttheaded theory.

In my head I can see Josh explaining to Big Bad Bubba in jail how to 'use the table as your friend.'...

fixnfly

I think there are plenty of ways to do crazy challenges without risking bad press for the hobby either by illegal activities or just ill advised stunts. Some of the ones I enjoyed most were the can we make an airplane this shape, or can we make this fly type of things. Challenges that show solving structural or aerodynamic problems not only entertain, but educate the audience on problem solving thinking and build techniques. I would love to see more of the "I can't believe it flies" type of challenges.

I think any of us outside of flite test can't really know the real reasons, but I have my theories also. It probably has to do with the fact that it takes a certain type of person to pull off projects like this. Many people who have the disposition (the knack) to accomplish this type of stuff have greater career potential then flite test can offer for what turns out to be a part time low budget R&D operation mixed with lots of other random stuff for the other half of the job. When flite test looks at hiring someone to replace a David or Peter, they also have to make sure they aren't hiring someone who will waste money on overly complex or dangerous projects with less entertainment value. There are lots of ways these types of projects can turn out to be unusable and a few ways to make them spectacularly awesome like David and Peter have done with many projects. I wish flite test the best.

ColdCanuck

Build'em, Crash'em
I don't know if it's just me.....but ever since Peter left I find that FliteTest is flying in the wrong direction.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I don't know if it's just me.....but ever since Peter left I find that FliteTest is flying in the wrong direction.

I see comments like this on occasion. It happens whenever there's change. Could you give an example, or two of what you feel is the wrong direction?