Show on Motors and props for Quads

HarleyRev

First I want to say how much I enjoy your shows , articles , website , enthusiasm for all things rc flying !

I have learned alot here ! I intend to build some quads using this information , eventually getting into FPV and filming from a multi coptor.

Different quads I see here and other places , use so many different types of motors and props. At times I think big slow motors with big props creating big lift is the way to go for a multicoptor used for taking videos.

It seems all of the variations will work , as in fast motors and smaller props , etc....

Then I think about how nice it would be to be able to do a study of different rpm motors and blades , which combination would give you the most flight time .

Which motors draw more amps ? which may result in shorter flight times .

I dont have the ability to spend alot of money on motors and batteries and props. But you guys seem to have alot of stuff like this around the shop , lol , lucky people !

So maybe you could make a quad with all fpv gear , video camera , gps , etc ... everything one would put on a multi rotor to take videos of this awesome world we live in , nature from a birds eye view .

Put slow motors with big props , carry all gear and batteries needed , see what flight time would be.
Then use the same coptor with medium rpm motors and props , then fast rpm motors and props and see which gives the best combination of price , flight time , dependability , most bang for the buck.

As a rc noob , I only know enough to be dangerous ...... getting all of this gear and pieces and parts will be a significant investment for me , and it would be nice to somehow get the knowledge and confidence ,about the parts that I ultimately choose for my fpv/video coptor will give me what I want , and allow me the freedom of piece of mind knowing I built it right for me.

I believe other people would find this information to be helpful as well. It flows along with what you guys are trying to accomplish.

Motors and props seem to be a mystery on the internet . I look far and wide for info , but most of it is confusing to me because just when I think i have it somewhat figured out I see the specs of a coptor and the motor/prop combo they list doesnt seem to flow with what I have learned .

I know slow motors and big props give strong lifting capability , but dont know how that acts with battery usage.
I assume that slower motors use less power , therefore would have longer flight times , and perhaps one could add another battery because of the added lifting power of the props.

The vast majority of multirotors I see the specs on dont seem to use this combination though.

Then I wonder if fast motors , going at half speed for filming would be a better combination ?

Somewhere there is a point of no return , in that putting on bigger batteries , add weight , which end result is less flying time , somewhere there must be a sweet spot , best combination for what type of quad or multirotor one wants to build.

I can imagine myself building a small , fast , agile quad for tricks and fun, then building one larger, for more stability , to use for making videos of nature.
Then i think , well what would be the difference between these two types and a medium sized one ?

And what sizes are considered medium , small , large ?

what is the best size quad for stable filming ?

what is the best size quad for tricks and fun ?

what is the best motor, prop , battery , voltage , combination for all of these ?

Does it simply come down to personal preference ?

Or is there a science of sorts to create the magical flying beast that one want to build , for different types of flying missions ?

I look for these answers on the internet , but this information is scarce at best.

I wish someone , some place , would list different combinations of quad size , motors , props , batteries to use to be able to create what I want to create , without me having to mortgage the house to buy all of these parts to and experiment.

I know you guys love to build so many types of flying machines , I know you guys have a plethora of information and experience in this area . I know you love to share and teach us .

In so many of your shows you say " tell us what you want to see " so here it is , this is something I would love to see !!!

You teased me with the electrohub show ! I will build one of these for sure ! You did a great thing by listing 3 places I could buy the electronics as a kit , which was very helpful and I was thankful to finaly be able to see that type of info. Real , viable , combinations to be able to put together a quad.

But it also turned on the mad scientist in me and made me research different types of FC boards , motors , props , esc's , receivers , then ultimately which radio to get for my first one , to control my dream builds.
All paths seem to lead to an endless sorting of choices to make , which leads me to think how the choices of equipment I choose today , may limit me , or not , in the future ?

I love to learn , love to do photography , dont like programming with pcs , so this new world of rc flying will be a great hobby for me to begin ......a new adventure that I think will richly reward me in many aspects of life.

Where do i begin ? How to do i make the right choices ? I cant really go to a store and find quad parts or building info. I can find factory made quads, of which I have 2 now. Both are fun , and cheaply made and will not last and do not fullfill what I ultimately want out of a quad.

I believe I can build one far superior to what I can buy from a factory. One that will fit my needs and wants ,and i will get the fun of dreaming the build , then building the dream !
What more could I ask for ?

Precise specs, information , part names , from experienced flyers and builders , YOU GUYS !!!

Thanks for listening , Thanks for your shows !!!
You guys are great ! I watch atleast one of your videos everyday !!!
Keep up the good work !

Best wishes to all of you ,

Darrell