Taranis X9D+ Orange module and Spektrum not cooperating.

Tench745

Master member
Hey all, I recently bought an orange module for my Taranis so I can fly my existing models without buying all new receivers. I managed to get my simple soarer bound, but it has an extreme delay between the input and control movement; (upwards of 1-2 seconds). Any Taranis gurus have an idea of what might be happening?

RCdiy

RCdiy
have you matched the DSM/DSMX mode of the orangeRx to spektrum receiver mode?
I have two OrangeRX DIY DSM/DSMX modules and two ApprenticeS 15e SAFE receivers and things work well.
I had to make sure the module was configured correctly...

Tench745

Master member
As near as I can tell it is on the correct format. I was under the impression that of I was transmitting on the wrong one, either Dsmx or Dsm2, the rx wouldn't bind or respond.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
In my experience, having the wrong pairing results in "odd" behavior. Channels all mixed up, responses weird. Don't forget, that DSM protocol are basically:

DSM 22ms
DSM 11ms
DSMx 22ms
DSMx 11ms

I believe that's all of them.... at least, that's the way it is with my "Multiprotocol Module" that I use instead.

Reactions: FDS

RCdiy

RCdiy
Which mode are you in?
which receiver?
ill have to look up my equipment abd see what settings i have.
is the external rf configured for 1-8 ch.

RCdiy

RCdiy
I have
External Module LED 2 flashes per second DSMX 22MS
MODE PPM
CHANEL RANGE 1-8
PPM frame defaults to 22.5ms 300u

Using the Apprentice S 15e SAFE receiver.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Did you try DSMX 11ms mode? Definitely do all this testing with the prop off, or the plane held down / immobilized.

Tench745

Master member
Definitely do all this testing with the prop off, or the plane held down / immobilized.
This is why I started testing on my Simple Soarer, and not something like my Cafe Racer; 2 channels and no prop to worry about.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, when I have some free time to muss with it I'll see what I can find out.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Ok, looked at it this morning, I had the module in auto mode it had itself set as DSMX 11ms, but I switched it to manual mode just to be sure. No change. Switched to DSMX 22ms, response got worse. Dropped the power setting, nearly imperceptible improvement.

Just switched to DSM2: works perfectly despite it clearly being marked a DSMX reciever. Weird...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've had DSMX models refuse to bind in DSMX mode on my Taranis, and work just fine in DSM2.

But I've never had the lag problem you did. They either bound in DSMX and worked fine, or they wouldn't bind at all until I switched to DSM2.

RCdiy

RCdiy
Ok, looked at it this morning, I had the module in auto mode it had itself set as DSMX 11ms, but I switched it to manual mode just to be sure. No change. Switched to DSMX 22ms, response got worse. Dropped the power setting, nearly imperceptible improvement.

Just switched to DSM2: works perfectly despite it clearly being marked a DSMX reciever. Weird...

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/DSMX.aspx

[h=2]IS DSM2 AND DSMX EQUIPMENT COMPATIBLE?[/h]Yes. DSM2 transmitters are forward compatible with DSMX receivers, and DSMX transmitters are backward compatible with DSM2 receivers. And because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wideband DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether they're using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Unfortunately, I never had any luck with the orange dsmx implementation. I had a first gen version and only dsm2 worked reliably. So far my diy spektrum module with the rf bird taken from a dx5e tx and the irangerx multi protocol modules have been champs. Even my devo8 running deviationtx was better at dsmx compatibility vs the orange module I had.

Reactions: FDS

Midnight

Perfect! I have been struggling with this for a year. Haven't yet flown my sailplane because of the lag issue. This solved it! Thank you!!