Temps for HK covering film?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Does anyone know the recomended application temps for the HobbyKing covering film? I was thinking 250F to stick and final shrink around 300F?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I tend to just dial the heat in by how it's sticking, as I've got numerous brands of covering and can't keep 'em all straight! :) For shrinking I prefer the heat gun when possible, although I may be in the minority on that preference.

I know it's probably silly of me to ask, but are there no instructions with the covering? I know hobby king isn't exactly well known for providing instructions....

Turbojoe

Elite member
I know it's probably silly of me to ask, but are there no instructions with the covering? I know hobby king isn't exactly well known for providing instructions....
Yep, as is typical for HK no info whatsoever.I've got three rolls of the HK covering. I've used a bit of it but have yet to find that "sweet spot" for temp. I typically set my 21st Century iron (with a sock) at around 300 degrees on the dial and work fast while tacking regardless what covering I'm using. Even Solite! I've always preferred a hot iron. The HK stuff seems to like a cooler temp though. I haven't used it enough to find that best tack temp though. I like the shrink but I haven't been happy with the tack/stick so far. I'll likely use it some more when I start to cover the MM EVA Twin conversion. You can't beat the price so I've got to figure out how to make it work for me.Joe

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, no instructions. Thats why I started this thread. I have found on the web that some are tacking at 220F and shrinking at 300F. But, like Turbojoe above, it doesnt seem like it tacks all that great at 220F so I have been practicing tacking at 250-300F also. 300 seems to work well and I am getting the hang of moving the iron around. I am going to start covering my T-Craft this weekend and will probabaly try tacking at 250-275 and final shrink at 300-325 and also use the heat gun on open areas. I happen to have an infrared temp gun to check temps.

I do like to keep the tack temp as low as possible. It can make it hard to get the wrinkles out if it shrinks too much when tacking. It sounds like ekonokote/ultrakote temps. I might have to order some of the hk covering.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I do like to keep the tack temp as low as possible. It can make it hard to get the wrinkles out if it shrinks too much when tacking. It sounds like ekonokote/ultrakote temps. I might have to order some of the hk covering.

Yes, I learned that tonight. I was trying to tack at 300F and it would shrink the area to much then I would have a wrinkle and then have to pull it off and start with a new piece. So, I figured out tacking at a lower temp is much better.