The Champ (and the Sport Cub S) is dead long like the Champ

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The Sport Cub S replaced the Champ (although both are still available) and the new Champ S+ replaces them both. The weakest point of the UMX Cubs is the 1S power system that makes flying with moderate wind difficult. The Champ S+ uses HHs excellent UMX 2S system. This system keeps weight low but offers great power. Great planes like the UMX Carbon Cub and the UMX Pitts use the 2S system. The only weakness is an odd ball balance plug that requires a $7 adaptor to for use on most charges. I anticipate that this plane will be a great first plane, a great "teach yourself to fly plane" and will allow more growth than most of the other UMX trainer cubs. On top of the normal SAFE features the Champ S+ adds geo fencing and pattern hold like the Sportsman S.

This plane seems like it will be a great trainer that a flyer will not out grow. I wish I could justify buying one.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/bind-n-fly/airplane-new-releases/champ-s-bnf-hbz5480

jipp

my parents have one of these on pre order for there little hobby store ( think its suppose to be in soon ), there is also a big brother to this.. not sure what the name is tho.

chris.

Jugsy

I like most of the new technology HH are coming up with, but I'd like to see them tone down the geofencing/autoland/pattern hold stuff. I think AS3X+SAFE is more than enough for most newbies, even SAFE teaches bad habits on the sticks (letting go completely to level out and "oversteering"). There's definitely a place for all that technology in Automated models, but I think it's really inappropriate for a Trainer.

Capt_Beavis

My biggest problem with the tech is that I doubt most noobs will do what it takes to set it up properly. (btw, I hate typos in the title)

earthsciteach

I like most of the new technology HH are coming up with, but I'd like to see them tone down the geofencing/autoland/pattern hold stuff. I think AS3X+SAFE is more than enough for most newbies, even SAFE teaches bad habits on the sticks (letting go completely to level out and "oversteering"). There's definitely a place for all that technology in Automated models, but I think it's really inappropriate for a Trainer.

I agree. We've had a couple of kids at our club with Apprentices. They are totally reliant on the technology and we can't ween them off. At some point, they will want to fly planes without the technology and they will not have the skills to do so. Its way too much of a crutch. But, maybe I've become a grumpy old man.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I agree. We've had a couple of kids at our club with Apprentices. They are totally reliant on the technology and we can't ween them off. At some point, they will want to fly planes without the technology and they will not have the skills to do so. Its way too much of a crutch. But, maybe I've become a grumpy old man.

The technology is incredible, and it's what allows my dad to go out and fly unsupervised. :) 100% true, without it he would have relied on me too much, and we live 3 hours apart. He usually skips beginner mode unless it's too windy, and now will also take other planes out to fly which have no "crutches" for the pilot.

Capt_Beavis

I probably would have given up flying if not for SAFE. If all people want to do is pattern flying then there is no reason to go off of SAFE but if they really love the hobby they will want to move beyond it. I have maybe 14 or 15 FT plane. I fly inverted, I am learning to hover and I do knife edges. Those people that are stuck in beginner mode may not even be in the hobby at all if it didn't exist.

jipp

my dad is excited about the geofence.. for his old reflexes. this way he can just enjoy flying and if he does something stupid or his vision goes south.. either way.. i think anyone who wants to get better will do what it takes.. even if they have bad habits to break from the safe system.

i bought a cub s, not flown it yet. will be my first plane. i know when i fly quads if i am not in acro mode i feel like i have no control over the quad. so ill probably just start in hard mode from the get go with the blue and white cub s. ( i did buy a little elite micro camera i will add for fpv on it, so maybe the stabilize will make for better fpv on a plane dunno. i like how it will be a simple setup to add that micro fpv camera tho.. very nice of horizon to think that far ahead on it. ).

chris.