The Definition of Insanity.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
The old saying goes "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" This is usually in response to an action that causes injury, loss of money or some other negative consequence and I'm sure many of us put it to the test on a pretty regular basis.

How have you defined it recently?

Here's mine. I continually use the tips of my fingers to smear large beads of hot glue (instead of scraps of foamboard or the like), and EVERY TIME I'm surprised by the resulting burn and blister. You'd think I'd learn, but the 4 blisters on my right hand and 2 on my left say otherwise.

Tactical Ex

I continually use dull razors to cut foam board, convinced that there is still enough of an edge to cut it right. Though, I have been better about it, I score only with a brand new knife and throw the used ones into a container to reuse for less delicate procedures.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I continually use dull razors to cut foam board, convinced that there is still enough of an edge to cut it right.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that one as well.

I also freehand straight cuts on the FT scratchbuilds, because I'm positive I can make straight lines in foamboard with a #11 X-acto knife.

I'm wrong.

Every time.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
The old saying goes "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" This is usually in response to an action that causes injury, loss of money or some other negative consequence and I'm sure many of us put it to the test on a pretty regular basis.

How have you defined it recently?

Here's mine. I continually use the tips of my fingers to smear large beads of hot glue (instead of scraps of foamboard or the like), and EVERY TIME I'm surprised by the resulting burn and blister. You'd think I'd learn, but the 4 blisters on my right hand and 2 on my left say otherwise.
Eventually your finger start to take it..... watch bixler he'll wipe a whole gluestick away with out even the slightest hesitation. I still use my finger unless its a huge run.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I keep checking these forums even though I know I need to go do something else for mental health. Doing the same thing over and over again for too long drives me crazy.

I need to go read a book or watch a movie or play a video game or get a girlfriend or something.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
its simple RC is the insanity....... anything involved with RC is addictive and will drive you insane

Gryf

Ha, so you smear hot glue with your finger too. My usual routine is to lay down a bead of glue, etc., look frantically around my workbench for something to squeegee it with, not see anything, use my finger, then jump up and down and say things.

Every time.

Gryf

bacpck

Ha, so you smear hot glue with your finger too. My usual routine is to lay down a bead of glue, etc., look frantically around my workbench for something to squeegee it with, not see anything, use my finger, then jump up and down and say things.

Every time.

Gryf

Hey quit watching me and copying my build techniques... lol

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Why not?

It might seal the wound better than those stitches =)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Why not?

It might seal the wound better than those stitches =)

The Army (U.S., but possibly other Armies) used to use plain old super glue in place of stitches. Then hospitals started doing the same. But then some guy got a stick up his butt and started making special "sanitary" super glue for medical use and sells it for $50 a bottle. (Or some high price like that.)

Gryf

Sigh - back at the workbench yesterday evening, and working on my Old Fogey with my finger un-bandaged. Even when squeegeeing glue with a piece of foamboard, I managed to get a large, hot, dollop of the stuff right on the cut, where it mingled with the stitches before hardening. My, how we laughed. Took me a little while with surgical scissors and a magnifying glass to get the glue out of the stitches without cutting anything important.

What happened? I used to be clever. :-(

Gryf