The imaginary Bell & Ross Racer ( Watchmaker)

jkexpress

Anyone tried designing this beast, sitting on a plane last month, it caught my eye but it turned out to be just an animation in the flight magazine. A bit like the Bugatti, it looks pretty slick. I am going to try KFM airfoil for starters and maybe a profile cross section with balsa stringers. The tail needs to be light as there is a lot of body after the assumed CG in the wing. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 33134431_10208890485697918_8172314391866245120_n.jpg
    33134431_10208890485697918_8172314391866245120_n.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • download (4).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    3 KB · Views: 0
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great looking design! Very 1930's air racer inspired. Don't be afraid to increase the size of the tail surfaces 10 or 20% to help with yaw and pitch stability if she's too squirrely on the first build :)

jkexpress

Slow start but it even glides with some weight. enlarged control surfaces and hollowing out the back. Just doing a KFM4 for the moment.

Attachments

• bellross2.jpg
    bellross2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks a lot like the Bugatti.

I would recommend speaking with Wilsonman about tricycle landing gear before you build it out.

Yeah.. She's gonna be a nose-over nightmare. Beautiful design though. Since it is a fantasy racer you may want to take some liberties with the landing gear layout and get them as far as possible ahead of the CG. Since the wing isn't forward swept like the Bugatti you should have more luck with that than willsonman. If memory serves me his CG was only 1cm behind the axle line for the main gear.

Tench745

Master member
Looks a bit familiar. ;) I think this aircraft would be easier to fly than the Bugatti, much more of the tail aft of the wing, it should track very straight. As already stated, don't be afraid to oversize the empennage. Nose-overs will still be an issue, but I think the gear can be raked forward enough to lessen the effect. I'd love to see you get this one flying.

jkexpress

Cool - sorry been offline for a while. Mine is about a metre wingspan. I am going to get back to it. Also I have a nice laser at work so the next revision may be really slick. I have been fiddling with Slicer for fusion 360. Now for some pushrods.... and yep that undercarriage is going way forward after my numerous Gee Bee Racer tumbles.

Cool - sorry been offline for a while. Mine is about a metre wingspan. I am going to get back to it. Also I have a nice laser at work so the next revision may be really slick. I have been fiddling with Slicer for fusion 360. Now for some pushrods.... and yep that undercarriage is going way forward after my numerous Gee Bee Racer tumbles.
Can you cut some prints I have? I am writing on something and would really like it cut out to make everything fit perfectly. I would really appreciate it.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@jkexpress - I'm with these guys, It is a sleek design, and looks to be a tonne of fun to fly. I think you have a number of folks looking to build one like yours.

Ohhh I'm building mine for real speed to break the speed of with foam board. Won't look exactly like the bell and Ross but close. Will be using the concepts

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
In my eyes it looks like the Bugatti P100 had a baby with an Edge. Still, the aft vents have me puzzled as there are no real intake vents to speak of. Head scratching. The nose is much shorter and combine that with no forward sweep of the Bugatti and the landing gear placement might just work. Pretty for sure but I think it would be fun to see fly regardless.

As for the foam board speed record, I believe @Mid7night or @FAI-F1D may need to inform you of the stakes involved. Those two have been going at it for the better part of a year now... and I believe they were approaching 170MPH.

Actual 175mph... I know I talked to Josh on a regular basis and I just put him onto a new prop that he's never used before. I gave away one of my secrets and he text me yesterday and said he loves it.