Unused engine making strange noise

maxboo

Hi, I’m converting an old trainer (Simprop Super Chart) to electric:
QX-Motor QAA2814 and 80A ESC.
Engine is running nice when servo tester and battery is connected, but is behaving strange when connected to RX. The engine is just making beeps. (I didn’t knew engines could make this sound?) Other servos connected to the RX works fine and responds to signals.
movie clip
Sounds like some kind of error message.

HVB79

The ESC is causing the motor to beep. (single short beep, repeating)
Most of the time this is because the throttle signal is not in the full off position so the ESC beeps the motor and does not arm. Or less commonly, the throttle channel is reversed in the radio.

To fix:
Use the throttle trim to lower the full off throttle signal by trimming down.

or

Calibrate the ESC, most of the time the process is:
  1. move your throttle stick to all the way up
  2. plug in the ESC
  3. after the first beep move the throttle stick to the down/off position
If this does not fix your issue post exactly what brand and model ESC you are using or read the manual for your ESC to translate the beep code and what the calibration process for your ESC is.

maxboo

The ESC is causing the motor to beep. (single short beep, repeating)
Most of the time this is because the throttle signal is not in the full off position so the ESC beeps the motor and does not arm. Or less commonly, the throttle channel is reversed in the radio.

To fix:
Use the throttle trim to lower the full off throttle signal by trimming down.

or

Calibrate the ESC, most of the time the process is:
  1. move your throttle stick to all the way up
  2. plug in the ESC
  3. after the first beep move the throttle stick to the down/off position
If this does not fix your issue post exactly what brand and model ESC you are using or read the manual for your ESC to translate the beep code and what the calibration process for your ESC is.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

This is the ESC, by the way: https://m.banggood.com/2-or-4pcs-RC...d=20428188&sc_lid=104858042&sc_uid=83tWX1INOo

maxboo

Solved. I had to stretch the ESC working zone by using the trim and Travel settings on the TX. At least a lesson learned: I did’t knew motors could refuse to run/arm.

Thanks for your comments.

is this an edf
No, traditional trainer with engine in front.

Last edited:

HVB79

It's a safety feature built into modern ESCs so that the motor does not start spinning unexpectedly, at possibly full speed, as soon as the battery is plugged in. It's good to see that even no-name brand ESCs have this as a standard feature. In the early days of electric powered RC planes, before this was a standard ESC feature, a bunch of people were hurt and equipment damaged by suddenly spinning props.