Versacopter/Cleanflight/Naze32 v5/BL Heli ESCs without oneshot - TROUBLE CALLIBRATING

thouser

Hey all,
I finally got around to getting my versacopter all put together and am having a heck of a time callibrating my ESCs. I've followed the instructions posted here to no avail. The motors don't seem to start up at the same time. I also have a problem while callibrating in the cleanflight itself using the motor control process. I unplug the lipo, hit the safety checkbox, bump the throttles all up to 2000, then I plug the lipo back in...

That's where I have the problem. As soon as I plug the lipo back in the motor safety checkbox is unchecked and I cannot check it again to slide the motors back to minimum throttle to callibrate the ESCs.

I also followed the CLI method but the motors are still out of sync. It might fly, but not without a ton of stick input from me. Here is the link to the instructions I followed to callibrate: http://blog.oscarliang.net/cleanflight-naze32-setup/#esc_calibration

Any thoughts?
--T

Swanno

Hello again. AHHH you are using a Naze 32 rev 5 hmm, Im using a rev 6 now the rev 5 calibration drove me crazy... that is why I no longer use it on my versa copter.

Not sure why the box would stop working after you move the slider to the top and try to move it down again after plugging the battery in. I will try it out with my brothers versa-copter (trying to get him to fly is a battle, he had a bad experience with a crash...)

I plugged the versa-copter in. Then I went to the motors tab, made sure there were no props on, checked the box then pushed the slider all the way up to max which I set to 2000. I then plugged in the battery, waited for 2 beeps then slid the slider all the way down which caused the escs to beep 3 times indicating the cell count of the battery then the little tune thing.

When I was using the rev 5 board I had to disconnect the red wire from the 'servo' connector (make sure POWER is off if you do this step) of all the escs that plug into the flight controller. (I also wrapped some tape around them to make sure there was no chance they would come in contact with anything they were not suppose to when I plugged the battery in.) I then did the same steps and managed to get the escs to calibrate correctly.

(DISCONNECTING the wires is relatively easy and is the exactly the same process Josh uses to remove the extra channels on the break out cable.)

This was part of the discussion on that other thread about the usb powering the escs due to the rev 5 having a 5v bridge. Which made it an isssue for me to get it to calibrate because they were already on and wouldn't accept the high and low limits for the channel after I plugged the battery in...

AFTER I finished calibrating I powered down the quad and slipped the red wires back into the connectors (with the Power off again), it should be calibrated and work now when you power it up again.

That's all I can come up with, the rev 5 calibrating issue.

I have never used the CLI method, I think I tried it once to set throttle after the fail safe goes off. Before you fly I would suggest making sure the failsafe works on your work bench with no props on. Don't want a fly away if you lose radio contact.

(Not sure if I mentioned it, but make sure your transmitter is off when you do the calibration. Mine kept messing it up that is if you are using the cleanflight method.)

Last edited:

Topdawg

Also if you are having problems in the Configurator, don't forget you can also calibrate your ESC's by the use of your transmitter. First setup your quad and than go to the receiver tab. Once there set up your controller so throttle shows 1000 low and 2000 high. After that disconnect your quad from the configuratior. Ensure props are off. Throttle high on your transmitter, than plug quad in with lipo. You will hear a series of tones than throttle low. Than hear another set of tones. After this unplug your quad. They now should be calibrated. This is the way we have done it in the past, before the motors tab became available in the configurator.