What ft mighty mini should I build?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I'm wondering what mini I should build. Needs to be 4 ch and able to fly in a relatively small space (like not a park). I kind of like the mini sportster.

Thanks

Mr_Stripes

bwarz

Master member
Might I suggest a mini scout modded to have ailerons? Keep it light and you can fly it practically anywhere.

I second the mini scout. I too had posed such a question, but I'm thinking my space might be a bit smaller than yours? (100' x 225' with big trees on one side and houses on the other). I'm a novice pilot and the mustang was still too fast. My son modded the mini scout by extending the wing a little, mounting on the top of the fuse with rubber bands (no turtle deck) and adding ailerons. I can fly it in my space with little nervousness.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you like the Mini Sportster, the Mini Speedster would be a great slow flyer/tight space kind of airframe you are looking for. Flies a considerably slower then the Mini Sportster but has the same look. You can mod it to have ailerons just like on the Mini Scout the others suggested. I made one a biplane, just duplicated the original wing and mounted it on top...
20190817_204329.jpg
20190817_204329.jpg

This was just a 3 channel version with no ailerons, could be flown in a gymnasium easily

Mikej

How is the speedster different from the sportster other than being 3ch?
It's smaller - about 90% size.

However another vote for the Sportser here - I started off with a 4 channel Speedster and still love the look of it, but got bored with flying it after about a week and built a Sportster. I had actually ordered a Speedster kit from FT, but when I was waiting for it to arrive (I'm in the UK) I bought some Foamboard, downloaded the Speedster and Sportser plans and built both. I like the Sportser so much that I built the Speedster kit with a scaled-down sportster wing - so much more fun imho

Mikej

I was already leaning to the sportster bcuz it has acrobatic capabilities and it can fly slow.
I was at the club again today and I always get compliments on how it flies - slow and docile when you want, but "feisty" when you give it some gas - it's certainly not my flying that gets that compliments :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
How is the speedster different from the sportster other than being 3ch?
The Speedster also utilises an under cambered wing which makes it floaty. Can be flown in a smaller space. The Sportster will have the capabilities you are looking for, some find it to fly like a warbird.

If you like mini warbirds check this out...

Either of these will be a good choice too. I have built the P-47 a couple of times