What Kind of Plane is This?

rcpilot2

When I discovered this plane in my grandmother's building, the fuselage was in several pieces, so I put it back together. Im planning on going electric, 3-channel, with probably 4s power. There was no elevator, so I modified the horizontal and added that control surface. The fin/rudder was nowhere to be found, so I put one together with some 1/4 in balsa. Of course, I'm running 9g servos picture (3).png (you're welcome, Josh (; ). There are some wires in the engine area that look to be ignition wires, putting the age of the aircraft in its 60s or 70s. Is this correct? Anyone know what this is? Or any recommendations on how to finish it?
picture (2).png
picture (1).png
picture.png
P. S. that wing is my .40 Size Great Planes Cub photobombing.

Last edited:

Zetoyoc

Elite member
unfortunately i will not be any help identifying the plane. I love the look of it though. hopefully someone can shed some light. as far as finishing.. I know ill get some disagreement but I actually love the "patina" and would be tempted to keep it as is.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Not sure what it is but based on the fact that it had no control surfaces when you found it, I’m guessing that it was free flight. If it is free flight, it should be fairly stable too.

rcpilot2

Not sure what it is but based on the fact that it had no control surfaces when you found it, I’m guessing that it was free flight. If it is free flight, it should be fairly stable too.
I hope so lol. i never thought about the fact that it may have been FF.

rcpilot2

unfortunately i will not be any help identifying the plane. I love the look of it though. hopefully someone can shed some light. as far as finishing.. I know ill get some disagreement but I actually love the "patina" and would be tempted to keep it as is.
I agree, but i wouldnt know how to preserve the petina. thinking about going with a blue and white ultrakote scheme, like what appears to be left of the original paint.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Is there such thing as clear Monokote, that would preserve the patina. It would look like the balsa/tissue planes where you can see all the structure on the inside. That would be cool AF

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, there is a such thing as clear MonoKote and I think that would be the way to go. It’s a piece of history @rcpilot2 and I think it’s beautiful and it would be lovely to keep the balsa structure as well as the bits of paint left. It looks like a nice and easy slow flyer and I think it might be better off with 3s... Have fun and good luck, and make sure to keep us updated!

rcpilot2

thanks guys. :) @The Hangar i also thought about 3s, it may be better. I will start out on 3s with a power pack c, then if i need more power ill go with 4s. as for the covering, ill look into that clear covering, or maybe a translucent blue/yellow. its kinda sitting on the back burner at the moment, this thread is making me rethink that lol. ill be sure to keep you posted. :)

GlassL

thanks guys. :) @The Hangar i also thought about 3s, it may be better. I will start out on 3s with a power pack c, then if i need more power ill go with 4s. as for the covering, ill look into that clear covering, or maybe a translucent blue/yellow. its kinda sitting on the back burner at the moment, this thread is making me rethink that lol. ill be sure to keep you posted. :)
It reminds me of a Comet Aeronca Chief Rubber band powered free flight model with a 54" wing span, but the dihedral seems higher. I have always considered converting to electric RC.

Attachments

• Aerocna Chief.jpg
    Aerocna Chief.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 0

Keno

What that appears to be is a old RCM built 'Ole Timer" . However tail wheel is not quite correct. RCM plan # 1026.

rcpilot2

It reminds me of a Comet Aeronca Chief Rubber band powered free flight model with a 54" wing span, but the dihedral seems higher. I have always considered converting to electric RC.
I actually have one of those in my basement