Which design do you think is the best in the wind?

guitchess

Of the models that I have built, you can see those in my signature, it seems like the Tiny Trainer is the easiest to handle in the wind. I don't know if it's just cause I can fly it better, or if the smaller, dart like profile penetrates better.

My most recent build is the Spitfire, and, because of it's weight, I had thought that it would handle the wind better than the others. However, almost like the Old Speedster, if a gust hits it when you're in a bank it will just about flip over.

I do most of my flying early in the mornings before work, so it's not too big of an issue. It would be nice to have a model on standby for more extreme weather.

Thanks

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
The bloody baron handles wind pretty well. The storch does too but I think the Baron's low profile makes it a bit better.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
well, if you want a plane that performs good in the wind, get the Simple Soarer :p
All jokes aside, i was actually quite pleased with the Versa Wing's handling in wind. i have tried pusher and tractor on the same wing, and it performs beautifully in the wind. on a side note, the airplane i designed myself, the Vindicator, performs so well in wind we have adopted the nickname "Windindicator". i hope i can get plans for it up at some point down the road

Last edited:

dgrigor02

800mm spitfire ( or really any 800m warbird ) with 1300mah battery and a 50-60g sized motor cuts through the wind pretty well. Nerdnic has a post with a number of them listed.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
The Storch has a lot of lift and that helps when the gust stops and you start to drop. Not sure anyone's tested them all.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Your bloody wonder should handle wind well. Put a bigger battery in it if need be, the extra weight will keep it from getting tossed around.

But..... My favorite for real windy conditions is the Versa Wing. That plane play's on the wind very nicely.

El gato

I'm with TEAJR66, the Versa Wing can handle the wind. I like the Spitfire also.

Everyone has their favorites.

kulens

I have no experience with the FT Storch, but I'm flying a balsa version of this plane from Durafly. The wind and a bit of turbulence are an issue for this plane. Last Sunday for example, I was making a turn and suddenly the plane tipped over and ended upside down. This was already the second time.

I personally like to fly gliders when the wind is strong and unpredictable.

The versa wing loves wind! Mine loves it so much it will fly without a motor!

But then the Spitfire likes the wind too!

All kidding aside, good wind performance is about weight. A heavier, faster plane will always do better. It's the time on the ground that is tricky.

dwight

The versa wing loves wind! Mine loves it so much it will fly without a motor!

But then the Spitfire likes the wind too!

All kidding aside, good wind performance is about weight. A heavier, faster plane will always do better. It's the time on the ground that is tricky.
A thicker, symmetrical airfoil tends to help, too.

Dwight

My explorer seemed to do rather well in the wind. 20mph steady with 30-35 mph gusts :cool: May have been its eventual demise lol. Lots of throttle and it would actually make its way up into the wind, the gusts did toss it around a bit but i had a blast with it! Going into a hover like stall and letting the wind push it away was too much fun. Landings seemed uneventful but I was also near a tree line and surface winds probably were much less than at altitude. Two days later I was letting my boys buddy box and the wing folded in half on a pull out lol. I have since rebuilt the entire plane. New wing has no dihedral and a carbon fiber arrow spar. Super rigid now, i bashed on it all day today, even managed a half way inverted corkscrew spin. no mercy whatsoever and it didn't even flinch this time.