Captured airplanes challenge

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Everybody loves war birds !!!!!
In a hostile environment, where war resources were limited and the technical superiority of the enemy made the difference between victory and defeat, using the enemy's weaponry seemed a viable option. The Internet is full of stories and images about how war birds were captured in perfect condition or only with a few scratches and were reused by the enemy sides.
This site illustrates this idea very well. http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/WTF.aspx

So, what's the idea? Why not build your favorite war bird and decorate it with colors and insignias of any other faction?

Look at these old photographs of real captured planes.
scan0016-jpg.55855

WTF-45.jpg
WTF-35.jpg

Challenge
Build a war bird decorated with the colors and insignia of your favorite faction and make it fly.

Bonus
If your war bird really existed and you are able to show us the history in which it was involved (archive photos, etc.) you will receive an extra bonus.

To enter
Be sure to post your entry below. Must have a Declaration of participation with a link to your Build Thread. Start your Build Thread with "FTCapturedChallenge (Faction)-(model) by (userName)"
Example: "FTCapturedChallenge German P-51 Mustang by cdfigueredo"

The prize
I have nothing to offer you but pure fun while we build :rolleyes:. If anyone would like to donate something for the winners, they are welcome to do so.

Deadline

I still don't know... I hope that together we can choose a fair date.

Notes
This is my first challenge, so if you have fresh ideas that might work, feel free to share them. I think I will need all the help I can get.

Last edited:

slowjo

Master member
Everybody loves war birds !!!!!
In a hostile environment, where war resources were limited and the technical superiority of the enemy made the difference between victory and defeat, using the enemy's weaponry seemed a viable option. The Internet is full of stories and images about how war birds were captured in perfect condition or only with a few scratches and were reused by the enemy sides.
This site illustrates this idea very well. http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/WTF.aspx

So, what's the idea? Why not build your favorite war bird and decorate it with colors and insignias of any other faction?

Look at these old photographs of real captured planes.
scan0016-jpg.55855

WTF-45.jpg
WTF-35.jpg

Challenge
Build a war bird decorated with the colors and insignia of your favorite faction and make it fly.

Bonus
If your war bird really existed and you are able to show us the history in which it was involved (archive photos, etc.) you will receive an extra bonus.

To enter
Be sure to post your entry below. Must have a Declaration of participation with a link to your Build Thread. Start your Build Thread with "FTCapturedChallenge (Faction)-(model) by (userName)"
Example: "FTCapturedChallenge German P-51 Mustang by cdfigueredo"

The prize
I have nothing to offer you but pure fun while we build :rolleyes:. If anyone would like to donate something for the winners, they are welcome to do so.

Deadline
I still don't know... I hope that together we can choose a fair date.

Notes
This is my first challenge, so if you have fresh ideas that might work, feel free to share them. I think I will need all the help I can get.
just came across this, P38 in German colors is cool, SlowJo