Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
GOD IS GOOD! It's gorgeous, majestic, and better yet, it's not a crumpled heap of time, money and effort!

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So sweet to see that pic. It has been like the community has been waiting to give birth, I could almost hear the group exhale on seeing the image of her in the air.

Sincerest congratulations on this achievement. Beyond the obvious design and build skills, your perseverance throughout has finally been justly rewarded.

DamoRC.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
... and there was much rejoicing.

Congratulations Josh. That is a huge, A YUGE, milestone. Better yet, those of us going to FFE'17 will see it in person flying. Yesss!

I read in the write-up, it "proposed", and thought, more proof I'm still a newb. Then I saw later "porpoised". Ahhh, phew, a typo. Yeah but I'm still a newb, maybe perpetually.

So now, what to do about the flaps? Mix in up elevator? Oh and those elevators... will you be dialing those down or looking to just get used to them?

And 2 really really important questions... How did it sound in the air? When do we get a video? After all, I can photoshop a fancy shmancy plane in the air, in formation, 6 inches off the deck, inverted. Come on you know the code. Video or it never happened.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I'll chime in now that Joshua has shared the video. This is one that everyone will LOVE seeing in person. She did so well on the maiden and you know when dialed in she is going to be a sweet bird. Congratulations for Joshua for another spectacular build and thanks for letting me tag along for the maiden!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
WOOHOO!! Congrats man. That takeoff was gut wrenching, but you pulled it off. Definitely take that tail lead out. ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Atta Boy!

The stress on your face......

I'm glad that you are sleeping well now.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man a flight like that could not have happened to a more deserving person. That thing is amazing and makes me wonder why there are no full scale versions actually flying. That silhouette with the hazy sun in the background is unmistakable. Other then the porpoising it looked like that could have been your everyday flyer.

The joy you showed on camera is catching it even made grumpy old me have just as big a smile with you. I can only hope to have that feeling someday with a model like that. You had a nice smooth build experience in your own timeline (you make it look too easy) then to have a maiden like that is so well deserved.

I will as others congratulate you on the success but that word does not seem to be enough for this accomplishment.

FT CREW.... you need to be scheduling the feature show on this baby NOW NOW NOW!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just me not knowing anything but could you do something like this guy did with split flaps to counter the nose over?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Early in this thread I discussed the flaps and my decision to go with what I have. Essentially I decided to forgo the complexity and weight penalty of the split flaps. I have to say that the behavior of the flaps is not entirely surprising. I've used RealFlight many times to mimic builds that I do in an effort to confirm my calculations and practice prior to a maiden. This is the exact behavior I observed in the simulator, which is why I will be looking at re-configuring the flaps for an upward deflection.

You guys rock! Thank you, again, for all the well-wishing. I really feel like this community is an extension of my family. You provide so much fun and support.

I hope that there will be more interest in the Bugatti at Flite Fest this year but It has been a pleasure to also work with HobbyKing and deliver a VERY unique subject and showcase the great products they have. I've known many a modeler who poo-poos the foreign wares citing reliability concerns and all that jazz. I hope this proves as a demonstration that you do not have to fork over big bucks to accomplish such a task.

The NEW to-do list:
Full sand-down and fill the weave a bit more with WBPU and baby powder.
Prime.
Paint.
Canopy flashing and detail work.
Servo bay covers will get some detail work as well.
Hatch will get some challenging detail work.
Landing gear covers.
Prop decals... and a few spares :black_eyed:

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
WOW! Talk about a short takeoff! That must have been nerve racking. What I would try to do is roll onto the power really slowly and add just enough elevator to keep the nose from coming down on you. If you can use a longer takeoff roll with the 100p I would.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
This may be the best build thread I have ever read.

I am waiting with bated breath to see this painted.

Congratulations Willsonman. This is an inspiration.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Keegan: That was not an option at all. Perhaps if I had a paved runway. Any sort of bump in the road and the nose tips over. The CG is about 2cm aft of the center line for the wheels. The procedure had to be full back on the elevator and gun the throttle. Once airborne I could relax the elevator. Any sort of bump in the tail would also flip the nose forward. A paved runway would see much better takeoff and landings but I do not have that luxury.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Keegan: That was not an option at all. Perhaps if I had a paved runway. Any sort of bump in the road and the nose tips over. The CG is about 2cm aft of the center line for the wheels. The procedure had to be full back on the elevator and gun the throttle. Once airborne I could relax the elevator. Any sort of bump in the tail would also flip the nose forward. A paved runway would see much better takeoff and landings but I do not have that luxury.

Noted, just an observation.

That's a good flying bird though, super smooth and precise looking in the air. I'm sure it's sweet to just rip down the runway. The paint should really make it pop too.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yes! Once the paint is on it will really be a sight to behold in the air. I do believe that once the CG is properly placed that stability will be a non-issue.

. A paved runway would see much better takeoff and landings but I do not have that luxury.

I really feel your pain here. There's nothing I want more than a place where i can toutch and go and do some sweet scale take offs and landings. As it stands I just hand launch and belly land all my planes. I still enjoy flying but feel like I'm missing out on a great aspect of the hobby.