Flite Test Flite Fest - early roll call

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Dan's right, guys. They are fervently working on many things right now, including getting the infrastructure worked out and are also learning as they go. They have a venue, they have dates set. This IS happening. All those behind-the-scenes details, that just take time, are being worked on as quickly as they can. Don't stress out about it...registration is coming soon.

Synthetech

Thanks for the reply CraftyDan.

I am probably one of the fortunate ones who is only a couple hr's away for the event location.

I think I catch your meaning of "clunky". They were fishing for a tuna and caught a shark with the Kickstarter.
I'm not surprised.. all the tech going on with these machines is really taking off. I was hoping to get into this craft and meet like minded people.

Do you think they will do a mass email notice to all members on FT when they finally do get registration going?
I wish I had opted in with the Kickstart... maybe they will still offer packages like that?

I dont have any RC vehicles ATM. I am very interested in quads and the powered gliders, FPV. All the latest and greatest UAV stuff.
Was hoping to shoot up to OH and see this amazing tech and how everyone is using it.

~Blaine

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the reply CraftyDan.

I am probably one of the fortunate ones who is only a couple hr's away for the event location.

I think I catch your meaning of "clunky". They were fishing for a tuna and caught a shark with the Kickstarter.
I'm not surprised.. all the tech going on with these machines is really taking off. I was hoping to get into this craft and meet like minded people.

Do you think they will do a mass email notice to all members on FT when they finally do get registration going?
I wish I had opted in with the Kickstart... maybe they will still offer packages like that?

I dont have any RC vehicles ATM. I am very interested in quads and the powered gliders, FPV. All the latest and greatest UAV stuff.
Was hoping to shoot up to OH and see this amazing tech and how everyone is using it.

~Blaine
Yes, I think everyone was surprised at the response and outpouring of support. Not so surprised about the support side since this community is, and always has been, more supportive than some others. This first event is likely to have a few hiccups and bumps along the way. The main thing is to learn from the mistakes this time and just make it better next time. It will still be a great time for fellowship with other pilots and memory making with family and friends, even if it turns into Woodstock.
Welcome to the forums, Blaine, and please don't hesitate to ask us if you need any specifics(or even generalities) on anything. We're always happy to help out if we can!

bitogre

Yes, I think everyone was surprised at the response and outpouring of support. Not so surprised about the support side since this community is, and always has been, more supportive than some others. This first event is likely to have a few hiccups and bumps along the way. The main thing is to learn from the mistakes this time and just make it better next time. It will still be a great time for fellowship with other pilots and memory making with family and friends, even if it turns into Woodstock.
Welcome to the forums, Blaine, and please don't hesitate to ask us if you need any specifics(or even generalities) on anything. We're always happy to help out if we can!

I definitely think that Flite Fest has gotten a lot bigger than they expected. Jason Uberig on KickStarter pointed out that well over 270 pilots will be attending. That is 270 KickStarter backers picked rewards that include "Pilot Registration" and that number does not include other members of the backer's family that will also be getting "Pilot Registration" for the event. I suspect that is more people having already paid for Pilot Registration than those that attended SEFF 2014 (but I do not have any information to prove that suspicion).

I bet that when Flite Test decided to hold Flite Fest, they were probably expecting 50 to 100 pilots (pure guess on my part). I doubt that they had any idea that there was so much interest for Flite Fest. As such, I suspect they are scrambling to figure out how they are going to deal with an event well over 2 times bigger than they were expecting.

Finally, remember this is their first event. They do not know what they do not know with regards to holding these events. This will be a learning experience for them. Expect mistakes and things to go wrong. They will do their best to minimize the impact of such problems and I suspect they will have a lot of help from volunteers to help make this event a success despite any problems. Things like an online pre-registration form or event a mail in pre-registration form may require resource they currently do not have as the available resource are being used elsewhere (like continuing to put out Flite Test videos and/or scaling the event to address the overwhelming success of the KickStarter campaign).

Disclaimer: The view presented here are purely speculation and not based on any official word from Flite Test.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Frank,

bummer! would have been great to finally get to fly with you -- HHAEFI in October, perhaps?

EST,

I don't believe it, but if that's true . . . I'll have no one to blame . . . how to goad you into troublemaking . . .

bitogre

Looks like there is an online registration now available to Register for Flite Fest. I do not know if this is the official way but I found this link when I filled out the KickStarter survey for collecting my reward (specifically given for paying for camping).

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Looks like that is the official way now, as that site is linked via a "buy tickets" button at Flitefest.com. Finally I'm registered (whew)...thanks for the tip!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Great! Look forward to seeing you there!

I'll be easy to spot -- I'll be the fat white guy in a flitetest teeshirt ;)

earthsciteach

Frank,

bummer! would have been great to finally get to fly with you -- HHAEFI in October, perhaps?

EST,

I don't believe it, but if that's true . . . I'll have no one to blame . . . how to goad you into troublemaking . . .

Dan - did you see that pic of the stainless steel "thing" I posted a couple of weeks ago? Paintballs. :cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Confirmed. I have my pilot registration from Kickstarter and now a place to camp. Really excited guys.