FliteTest in Phoenix RC (Model Index)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
FT Guinea Pig updated with paint and performance enhancements. Includes differential thrust and a working cargo door on channel 5. On my DX6 thats switch A. Download in first post.

FT_Guinea_Pig_Selection.png

jellidawg

Does anyone else here find that flying in Phoenix is infinitely easier than real life? I can fly the FT3D like crazy in the sim (hover, harrier, blender on accident, etc.), but can't even keep it airborne in real life...

Is it that I'm not afraid of crashing in the sim that allows me to let loose and not get fat fingered?

JohnRambozo

Does anyone else here find that flying in Phoenix is infinitely easier than real life? I can fly the FT3D like crazy in the sim (hover, harrier, blender on accident, etc.), but can't even keep it airborne in real life...

Is it that I'm not afraid of crashing in the sim that allows me to let loose and not get fat fingered?

What motor, prop, battery combo are you using on your FT3D in real life? The sim is definitely easier than real life, but the things I've learned in the sim have translated into real life skills.

JohnRambozo

C pack with 9045 prop and 2200 3S

The FT3D went through a lot of variations. Check this article for Aaron Bates' setup using a much more powerful motor with lower kv and 10x4.7 prop. That's the one I was aiming for in Phoenix. I can work on making a C pack and 9 inch prop version so you can practice on something that flies more like yours.

RockNBurn

I wouldn't move anything around in phoenix builder except the physics structures and collision boxes/meshes. If there's a model you want to reconfigure, physically, I can give you the blender file.

I have also done some one on one remote blender / phoenix builder tutorials. If you want to do that sometime, let me know.

I was actually talking about one of my models. I placed it too low on the blender grid, not it gives me a weird bug on the preview window.

wtesch

Just subscribed. Thanks for all your work on this. I have both Real Flight and Phoenix. Both have their own strong points and I enjoy both.

JohnRambozo

I was actually talking about one of my models. I placed it too low on the blender grid, not it gives me a weird bug on the preview window.

Just select all in blender and move it up along the Z axis until it is above the x/y plane. The x/y plane represents the ground. Unfortunately you'll have to delete your model and material geometry in Phoenix Builder and reposition all your airfoils manually, as well as reassociating all the geometry and collisions.

JohnRambozo

Just subscribed. Thanks for all your work on this. I have both Real Flight and Phoenix. Both have their own strong points and I enjoy both.

I'm always happy to hear people appreciate it. A little update on Real Flight - The model builders on the Knife Edge team are working on several Flite Test models in house and I have provided the texture files I used in Phoenix to keep that signature look.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Hi

I wasn't able to use the FT models in my PhoenixRC sim, as the dongle I had wouldn't work with version 5.5 (and it wasn't straight forward to get it to work with 5.0 either). So I ordered a new dongle, Phoenix recognised it just as it was supposed to, so I upgraded to 5.5, and lo, all the FT models appeared for me to choose from!! So I am very happy this morning that it arrived!!

The dongle I got is this one and I can confirm it works.

Now, one thing I did do was a small mod to my dongle, and I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else feels the same way as myself. One thing I hate are excessive wires, and in a day and age of 2.4ghz systems, PPM receivers and all that, I think it's so "yesteryear" to be using a cable to connect your transmitter to your dongle. So... what you do is get a PPM receiver and bind it to a new model in your transmitter for use just with the simulator. Then you open up the dongle and solder a Futaba or JR pigtail inside with red and black (brown on JR) soldered direct to the USB port, and the white (yellow on JR) to the pad where the tip of the jack plug connects.

Dongle Inside.jpg

After, just close the dongle up and plug the pigtail into the PPM port on the chosen receiver (the one in the photo is a stripped down OrangeRX R615x).

Dongle Finished.jpg

Then just plug it into the USB port with the transmitter turned on and with the model for simulator selected. The receiver gets 5V direct from the USB port so no external battery is needed. Then just set up your channels in the sim config as you would with a wired transmitter.

If you wanted to use it at all with a different transmitter, just change the receiver to one previously bound to your other transmitter. And you can still use the original jack wire if you want, just unplug the pigtail on the receiver, and plug the wire in.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Hi

I wasn't able to use the FT models in my PhoenixRC sim, as the dongle I had wouldn't work with version 5.5 (and it wasn't straight forward to get it to work with 5.0 either). So I ordered a new dongle, Phoenix recognised it just as it was supposed to, so I upgraded to 5.5, and lo, all the FT models appeared for me to choose from!! So I am very happy this morning that it arrived!!

The dongle I got is this one and I can confirm it works.

Now, one thing I did do was a small mod to my dongle, and I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else feels the same way as myself. One thing I hate are excessive wires, and in a day and age of 2.4ghz systems, PPM receivers and all that, I think it's so "yesteryear" to be using a cable to connect your transmitter to your dongle. So... what you do is get a PPM receiver and bind it to a new model in your transmitter for use just with the simulator. Then you open up the dongle and solder a Futaba or JR pigtail inside with red and black (brown on JR) soldered direct to the USB port, and the white (yellow on JR) to the pad where the tip of the jack plug connects.

View attachment 71750

After, just close the dongle up and plug the pigtail into the PPM port on the chosen receiver (the one in the photo is a stripped down OrangeRX R615x).

View attachment 71751

Then just plug it into the USB port with the transmitter turned on and with the model for simulator selected. The receiver gets 5V direct from the USB port so no external battery is needed. Then just set up your channels in the sim config as you would with a wired transmitter.

If you wanted to use it at all with a different transmitter, just change the receiver to one previously bound to your other transmitter. And you can still use the original jack wire if you want, just unplug the pigtail on the receiver, and plug the wire in.

Congrats on the working dongle and I have to say, that's really an impressive mod! Awesome job, Epitaph!

CrashAndBash

I am building a mini version of the Bushwacker so I thought I'd give your version a go. Best to crash pretend foam.

1/ Thanks Great work

2/ Your Phoenix bushwacker is so floaty and forgiving. Somehow I suspect mine will not be so easy.

Have you received any feedback on whether your sim is realistic?

Yaroslaw

Hey Badeki. There is a bit of a holdup with the Real Flight models. I have to apologize. I can get the geometry in, but due to the fact that custom Real Flight models are only supported by outdated software which is no longer available, I am unable to get the textures (paint) to show. If you're happy flying a blank, white plane I can go ahead with Real Flight but there will be no color.

I've also contacted the Knife Edge support team and was told they do not provide support for custom content and gave me NO indication they intend to update their tools.

I was also told I cannot share the email reply in any online form. See below. :)

---

Is this something that Flite Test Crew can address directly, as they are also selling the product? With all the planes in Phoenix and not RF I'd just start selling Phoenix if I were FT:) So may be they can adress that directly to KnifeEdge and being reseller and authority in a community they could get more helpful response?