FT Mini Mustang Paper Replacement Kit

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
That sounds like a wonderful idea! Just print the plans at 110% and you'll be good to go.

I don't advise enlarging either the art or the plans. However both would be ok. Bleeds need to be built into the file at the right size for things to work right. I'm designing this to fairly tight specs. Blow it up 110% and some parts of the art will be eliminated from the plane. :( Also some of the art will overlap between parts. Increasing the art or plan size would throw it off. But hey, once I post the PDF's, you guys can do whatever you want. ;) Just no guarantees on what you would get if you do so.

Rasterize

Mentor
Did I read that you are doing these in Illustrator, or did I make that up? I was wondering if when you get the hard work stuff done (Many Thanka), if you could offer to share the original files. This way we can tweak them a bit, like color, tail numbers, nose art,etc.

You can use Illustrator to edit PDF's, as long as they aren't rasterized. I do it every day for work. But of course the native AI file is better to have.

Hmmm. So you want me to go all "open kimono" with the Illustrator files huh? lol! Sorry, bad visual.
I wasn't planning on that but I'm not discounting it either. To me it's like making a CNC machine then people wanting the machine instead of what comes off the machine. On the flip side it would save me from endless requests on variants. Not to mention if you start thinking about enlarging them to 800mm scale and this could get out of hand quickly. :0 As photohap pointed out, you can rasterize (sounds familiar) the image so you can't edit it (not something I want to do, file size/quality reasons) or you can secure the PDF with a password to exclude editing as well (something I may do). My main concern is someone commercializing it in digital or hard copy. That would not be cool. That would be like folks selling FT PDF plans. :mad:
Let me think on it. PM me if you want to convince me further. I don't want to make this a copyright thread. :p

My plan (for now) is posting PDF's for folks to print on their home printers or at Staples (which at this rate should cost under $10 or so). They would then cut out the art, glue it to the foam (with the paper peeled off), then cut the art from the foam giving them an awesome looking FT plane for what? 15$? Now that would be cool. :)

Rasterize

Mentor
This is so cool! I wonder if you will get a call from the flitetest guys so they can print your designs right on the Foamboard of their speed build kits.

I almost missed your comment.

That would be very sweet. :)
Anybody own a flatbed press? :p

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just got my Mini Mustang and Corsair kits. They are staying in the plastic until you release the graphics. Can't thank you enough for making these. Looking forward to making mine.

Now, quit reading the forums and get back to WORK! :p

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Very good idea. I actually did make them with a bleed. I guess "great minds think alike" right? :)
I "trimmed" the file digitally in Photoshop before posting. The pics so far are only proofs and not meant for print. I will post those when everything is done.
I have yet to decide how I want to put them foam so I don't know how the finals will look in so far as bleed is concerned. However I only want to create one print file. I wanted to release these as PDFs in 8.5X11 and 11X17 formats so folks can print or get them printed as easily and cheaply as possible.

Thanks for that. I only have an ink jet..

Rasterize

Mentor
I just got my Mini Mustang and Corsair kits. They are staying in the plastic until you release the graphics. Can't thank you enough for making these. Looking forward to making mine.

Now, quit reading the forums and get back to WORK! :p

Wow Dan I don't know whether or not I should feel honored, pressured or both! :p
Saddly I'm addicted to forums. Much like people are addicted to Facebook I suppose. *sigh*

Although my work dealt me a set back by talking away my vacation this week and replacing it with three 12 hr shifts, I do get all of next week off plus two Christmas days off this week. So after Christmas I should have some free time to really get things done.
Even so I have made progress. Pictured below are 5 11X17 24lbs bond uncoated sheets to be used for further testing.
I have gone with 11X17 24lbs bond uncoated for a few reasons.
1) It is 90gms as opposed to the 120gms of the 80lbs text glass coated paper I made the wing test from and therefore only 3/4 the weight.
2) It represents a cheaper and more common paper that people will be able to get their hands on.
3) Gives the print a flat look and feel which to me is more "warbird like".
4) More surface tooth for glue to stick too.
5) 11X17 is a good size for most of the parts of the FT mini's. I still had to separate the fuse into three parts. Good thing is that the sides and top deck are one piece. I could also fit a whole wing on an 11X17. If I have to break things up to 8.5X11 pages things will get very very messy. :( If your printer doesn't do 11X17'd then 24lbs bond prints of that size are very cheap at Staples. :)

Proofset.jpg

I will then build a mock up from these parts so I can better judge how the graphics will flow onto the sheeting of the turtle decks etc. Hopefully my next post will contain a few pics of the mock up. Should be awesome.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Wow Dan I don't know whether or not I should feel honored, pressured or both! :p
Saddly I'm addicted to forums. Much like people are addicted to Facebook I suppose. *sigh*

Although my work dealt me a set back by talking away my vacation this week and replacing it with three 12 hr shifts, I do get all of next week off plus two Christmas days off this week. So after Christmas I should have some free time to really get things done.
Even so I have made progress. Pictured below are 5 11X17 24lbs bond uncoated sheets to be used for further testing.
I have gone with 11X17 24lbs bond uncoated for a few reasons.
1) It is 90gms as opposed to the 120gms of the 80lbs text glass coated paper I made the wing test from and therefore only 3/4 the weight.
2) It represents a cheaper and more common paper that people will be able to get their hands on.
3) Gives the print a flat look and feel which to me is more "warbird like".
4) More surface tooth for glue to stick too.
5) 11X17 is a good size for most of the parts of the FT mini's. I still had to separate the fuse into three parts. Good thing is that the sides and top deck are one piece. I could also fit a whole wing on an 11X17. If I have to break things up to 8.5X11 pages things will get very very messy. :( If your printer doesn't do 11X17'd then 24lbs bond prints of that size are very cheap at Staples. :)

View attachment 59974

I will then build a mock up from these parts so I can better judge how the graphics will flow onto the sheeting of the turtle decks etc. Hopefully my next post will contain a few pics of the mock up. Should be awesome.

Awsome! Great work!

Rasterize

Mentor
With the exception of the underside fuse panels the mockup is complete. I'll post pics later. It came our nice with one big change...it's not the Man O War scheme. You'll see what I mean when I post the pic. All I can say is that AkimboGlueGuns will approve.

Rasterize

Mentor
I switched color schemes for the first P51. I decided that the "Old Crow" scheme would be easier to get done. My inkjet is on the fritz so I'm doing everything digital for now.
So here is the "first draft". I hope to have it finalized by the weekend...if I'm lucky.

OC1.jpg
Over all not bad. I have learned a lot from this little guy. The fuse, wing and tail are friction fit. The canopy and rear decking are only taped down. Little details here and there will change. Sadly, I have no intention of flying this guy. Not sure what it's future is.

OC2.jpg
I still need to make the fuse bottom panels but discovering that is what this little guy was for. I must say, lots of detail has been packed in. It shows up nice on the bottom.

OC3.jpg
Close up of some details. I like the way the two surfaces came together around the insignia.

OC4.jpg
Many details will change here hopefully for the better. Mostly size and position. I'm going to darken the blue in the canopy. It looks almost white. One issue is color matching text weight paper to cardstock. you can see the color differences in the upper and side surfaces. I think the answer will ultimately be print everything to 24lbs. text and then glue it to a lighter weight cardstock. Maybe 65Lbs cardstock

OC5.jpg
I finally figured out how to do the rivets without it being a huge pain. You won't be able to see them while you're flying but they sure look good when it's on the ground.

OC6.jpg
More close ups. I didn't cut in any control surfaces since this is a mock up. Guess they could still be added since nothings glued together. No plans for that. To busy designing Flite Test art! :)

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Awesome man, looks great! Good choice to use this scheme first. Tiger stripes are a gigantic pain to make line up.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
OMG! *picks up jaw from floor*

That thing is literally a work of art. I want...

Franck3d

Incredible! Makes dollar foam board look like a million bucks!
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Rasterize

Mentor
Awesome man, looks great!

Fantastic!.

OMG! *picks up jaw from floor*
That thing is literally a work of art. I want...

Incredible! Makes dollar foam board look like a million bucks!

Thanks guys!
The nice thing is this whole airframe cost less than $7!
About $4.03 in printing from Staples (six 11X17 sheets of 24lbs. bond text) and $2.16 in foam. :cool:
I'll be posting the PDF for print after I check the "final draft".