FT Scout XL : Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

Captglvr

I'm new to eCalc. I bought the full program. Is there a way to save your named data set? I can't find it.
Also,
What are the most important parameters?
i.e. Not overheating the motor, fixing any red lettered warnings...
What is a good thrust to weight number for Sport flying?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm new to eCalc. I bought the full program. Is there a way to save your named data set? I can't find it.
Also,
What are the most important parameters?
i.e. Not overheating the motor, fixing any red lettered warnings...
What is a good thrust to weight number for Sport flying?

I've taken screen shots but generally I don't need to save anything. I'm afraid I'm no help there.

Important is a relevant question. Important to what?
Red letter warnings can be good cautions or advisements but not necessarily gospel. Running numbers and simulations is no replacement for variability of the real world. If it says you run the risk of over heating, make sure you have some good cooling options in your application and then look into that once you get testing in the real world.

For sport flying 1:1 is more than enough. Going over that is when you start getting into 3D territory where you are doing hovers and such.

Captglvr

Awesome! Very helpful advice.
Yeah, I took screen shots of my first few for comparing motors. It seems I would get more performance out of a 2814/1100, but I really want to try the V 4008/600. I think it will be fun. 👍🏼

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I wanted to report here that I did finally get to fly my Scout XL again yesterday. With a new prop on 4S it's even more silly. Hovers are fun on this thing and you and just putt-putt around and turn on a dime. I was actually making my camera guy a little sick. If you're not in the FT fans FB group then you'll miss out on some of this footage. After doing so many touch-and-goes my gear is actually getting a bit fatigued so I am looking at more rigid gear options before coming to FF. I had so much fun doing one-wheel touch-and-goes with Ben's airplane that it's almost a necessity at this point. My full power system specs are:

Tacon Bigfoot 25 870kV motor
45A ESC from "that drawer"
11x6 Master Airscrew propeller
2200mAh 4S battery
WOT is just over 500 Watts and aggressive flying time is 5 minutes coming down with cells at 3.75V each.

Yankee2003

I wanted to report here that I did finally get to fly my Scout XL again yesterday. With a new prop on 4S it's even more silly. Hovers are fun on this thing and you and just putt-putt around and turn on a dime. I was actually making my camera guy a little sick. If you're not in the FT fans FB group then you'll miss out on some of this footage. After doing so many touch-and-goes my gear is actually getting a bit fatigued so I am looking at more rigid gear options before coming to FF. I had so much fun doing one-wheel touch-and-goes with Ben's airplane that it's almost a necessity at this point. My full power system specs are:

Tacon Bigfoot 25 870kV motor
45A ESC from "that drawer"
11x6 Master Airscrew propeller
2200mAh 4S battery
WOT is just over 500 Watts and aggressive flying time is 5 minutes coming down with cells at 3.75V each.

I hope I can get a maiden in before FF. The way it is going I will probable have to drive up with the windows down so the paint will dry before I arrive.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Wonderful! I see this is for the fuselage. Do the wings, power pod and landing gear build the same as the Swappable Scout?
The SBK is designed a bit different than the plans posted here on the forum, so I'm not entirely sure. I know there are A & B doublers on the SBK which are a single C fold piece. The power pod has C folds that double the side thickness, added skewers, changed(?) tail skid, foam board turtle deck, etc. Sounds like it's durability improvements. Seems like it would build virtually the same, though.

Yankee2003

Painting my XL Scout.
I have done a good job of being patient enough to avoid bubbling and de-lamination. But my vertical and horizontal components of my tail have warped due to the painting.
I painted each surface before applying any additional coats to try and avoid this very situation. Now I need to straighten the warp as well as is possible. Since I don’t have time to experiment, does anyone have some suggestions on “counter warping” elevator and rudders once they are painted.
Sadly my Scout looks like the Orca on Free Willy. 😕

Yankee2003

I just tore it off. I only have 4 days off between now and FF so I have to try and keep moving.
Disappointing to say the least. Perhaps it will work out.
8865D1DE-3746-4178-B689-672384599104.jpeg
I would say it looks worse than it is ….but…..😬.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I have one of these XL Scouts lined up for Flite Fest, but I'll need some help with the landing gear. Specifically, I'd need access to a bench vise. Any ideas or help?

Yankee2003

I have one of these XL Scouts lined up for Flite Fest, but I'll need some help with the landing gear. Specifically, I'd need access to a bench vise. Any ideas or help?

I am just using an old landing gear from an Extra. It is not as wide but it will do. Very similar to what Ben did I to his.

Tench745

Master member
Are you planning to bend it on site, or were you hoping someone could bring some pre-bent?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Are you planning to bend it on site, or were you hoping someone could bring some pre-bent?

Either or. Pre-bent would be like a visit from Santa 😎 I had planned to pre-bend at home but didn't get around to it. Now I'm "on the road" until Flite Fest.