FT Scout XL : Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

Hoomi

Master member
I have a decent sized Goldline motor that can run on 3S or 4S power, that I think I'll put in mine when I build it. The Scout XL is just a hair bigger wingspan than the EFlite Cherokee, which has a similar size motor swinging a 12" prop. The way I see it, it's easier to hold back a motor that's a bit bigger than needed, than it is to coax more out of a motor that's barely adequate. I'm betting that the Scout XL will fly nicely on that motor with a 3S battery.

jfaleo1

Maiden success of my Scout XL!

I Like that a lot. At that size it looks like big fun. I think I have just the motor for it too. Wish I could make FliteFest this year, between the rest of the beautiful WW I models and a gaggle of these it should be a real sight.

I will still build one just for me and maybe as a nice trainer for someone else too.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Finally making a mess on this. The wings went together per the video almost exactly. The two halves of the spar had to be joined first but otherwise the process was verbatim.
Note that I’m using masking tape. I have packing tape but I did like how the lines came out on the Tummelisa so I’m rolling that way.
43B20182-169E-48B7-A59B-5B462EDE6AD8.jpeg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Finally making a mess on this. The wings went together per the video almost exactly. The two halves of the spar had to be joined first but otherwise the process was verbatim.
Note that I’m using masking tape. I have packing tape but I did like how the lines came out on the Tummelisa so I’m rolling that way.
View attachment 217289

Looking forward to seeing another one of these in the air (hopefully in person) before too long :cool:

uberjay

Fingers crossed we Canadians can 'more easily' get into the states and I'll be able to join you guys. I'll also try to build something - either this or something else 1:6 scale. Thanks for doing up the plans @SP0NZ !

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Thanks, it was necessary because it didn't fit in my car, be aware when someone plans to build one, it is bigger than it looks, this methode seems the best way too make it detachable to me.

I gotta make sure my girls don't see that monkey......They'll definitely want one!!

:p

Mr.Grinch

I’ll definitely be building one of these, I’m contemplating different methods for having the wing removable.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, it’s been a busy weekend so I’ll cover things one at a time.
The servos are mounted externally compared to the original size. I used yard flags for push rods and had no issues with anything here. Plenty of good throw and little flex in the rods.
543DB0F9-09A1-43BE-BAC4-4FFFE8CE7CBD.jpeg CEF88830-7AD8-468C-924D-99051016720A.jpeg
The front part of the fuselage had no major issues either other than not using a power pod. You can install your firewall AFTER the bottom is completed. I wanted to be extra careful with my firewall to make sure it was squared up with the fuselage. I also added a couple layers of foam board behind the firewall for the protruding screws to go into. No need for battery punctures here folks.
49E2401F-72E6-4C8D-A4F3-8C06B3C655E8.jpeg
I wanted to be sure that the landing gear wire was sufficiently sized as we had had this discussion as a group on what to do. I confirmed that the 1/8” wire is perfect here for the weight. I did not glue the gear in for this picture but I didn’t later either. It stays put.
89BD04A6-CA44-44AD-9D2D-B510A4C37105.jpeg
I rushed through the wing mounting and aileron control setup to get out to the field. There was a window in the weather that I thought I should take advantage of. That being said, the maiden was as uneventful as Ben’s with the exception of me putting it through the paces and doing “all the dumb stuff.” It does not knife-edge well but it also would not stall. Ever. I had what I’d call “stupid” rates and it just didn’t care. Video to come but thought I should report.
15FC0849-69A2-40C1-BFF5-3EC09AFE3B3B.png

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
WHAT MOTOR DID YOU RUN??
Ok, it’s been a busy weekend so I’ll cover things one at a time.
The servos are mounted externally compared to the original size. I used yard flags for push rods and had no issues with anything here. Plenty of good throw and little flex in the rods.
View attachment 217511 View attachment 217512
The front part of the fuselage had no major issues either other than not using a power pod. You can install your firewall AFTER the bottom is completed. I wanted to be extra careful with my firewall to make sure it was squared up with the fuselage. I also added a couple layers of foam board behind the firewall for the protruding screws to go into. No need for battery punctures here folks.
View attachment 217513
I wanted to be sure that the landing gear wire was sufficiently sized as we had had this discussion as a group on what to do. I confirmed that the 1/8” wire is perfect here for the weight. I did not glue the gear in for this picture but I didn’t later either. It stays put.
View attachment 217514
I rushed through the wing mounting and aileron control setup to get out to the field. There was a window in the weather that I thought I should take advantage of. That being said, the maiden was as uneventful as Ben’s with the exception of me putting it through the paces and doing “all the dumb stuff.” It does not knife-edge well but it also would not stall. Ever. I had what I’d call “stupid” rates and it just didn’t care. Video to come but thought I should report.
View attachment 217515

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Dude, no need to shout. On top of that, I’ve mentioned before what I’m using. Again, it’s a Tacon Bigfoot 15 motor. Just shy of 1000kV and flying was done on a 11x6 prop but I want to go up to a 13x6 for better thrust. 40A ESC gets the job done.