Is it safe to leave this connected and on my Quad during usage?

Ddm5

I've been a nuisance on this forum for the past week or so with my questions but I'm genuinely curious, after ever use I check my battery with a hardcased Lipo checker and was thinking about velcroing it to my quad and leaving it plugged in, would this be safe?
LiPo-Checker-1-8S-in-a-plastic-case-adjustable-700227_b_0.JPG

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
No problem at all (other than you may damage it in a crash) in fact if it has the beeper built in (looks like the one from HK with a beeper) then it's a good idea to fly with it so it can alert you when your voltage gets low. I usually set mine to alert at 3.5-3.7v depending on the battery and how low I want to let it go.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I actually bought a few similar to this to put on a friends copter because he doesn't have telemetry. I'm a little annoyed about the big LEDs though - they look ugly :)

Ddm5

No problem at all (other than you may damage it in a crash) in fact if it has the beeper built in (looks like the one from HK with a beeper) then it's a good idea to fly with it so it can alert you when your voltage gets low. I usually set mine to alert at 3.5-3.7v depending on the battery and how low I want to let it go.

It beeps whenever it's plugged in and it's fairly loud considering. It has the 2 beepers actually. Hrmm, I'll look into velcroing it to the frame tomorrow though I'm running out of the room. My Naza has the low voltage set but the beeper would most likely be better as it's easier to know then, especially when it starts screaming at me.

Ddm5

I actually bought a few similar to this to put on a friends copter because he doesn't have telemetry. I'm a little annoyed about the big LEDs though - they look ugly :)

I don't have telemetry either, my budget didn't allow for a Taranis. Also regarding the "Big LED's" was it the onboard low voltage one that has the 4 LED's instead of the screen?
I.e: 0000941_on-board-lipoly-low-voltage-alarm-2s4s.jpeg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I don't have telemetry either, my budget didn't allow for a Taranis. Also regarding the "Big LED's" was it the onboard low voltage one that has the 4 LED's instead of the screen?
I.e: View attachment 40349

Screen or no, the important features of battery alarm are:

- LOUD (check)
- Adjustable (can change the alarm voltage, which that guy can't)

ugly as it is, the 80's 7-segment display version has a button between the the beepers that lets you change the alarm voltage. the cheapo LED version does not.

now if you have some 3/4" clear shrink tube, you can remove that plastic black box and you'll get something like this:

1-8s-lipo-battery-buzzer-alarm.jpg

I have several and almost all my airframes use them to signal time to land -- the only exceptions being those that are too light and my multirotors that have it built into their control board.

Ddm5

Screen or no, the important features of battery alarm are:

- LOUD (check)
- Adjustable (can change the alarm voltage, which that guy can't)

ugly as it is, the 80's 7-segment display version has a button between the the beepers that lets you change the alarm voltage. the cheapo LED version does not.

now if you have some 3/4" clear shrink tube, you can remove that plastic black box and you'll get something like this:

View attachment 40355

I have several and almost all my airframes use them to signal time to land -- the only exceptions being those that are too light and my multirotors that have it built into their control board.

Personally prefer the hard case but that's just me, I've known about the small button since I've had it but I've mostly used it for quick checking the voltage after flight, I'll secure it to the frame tomorrow.

PhenomPilot

I use the LED one that Craftydan showed on some of my planes. When I would velcro them to the plane they would sometimes eject when things got hairy.... Now I zip tie them to the power lead, right behind my xt60 connector on the plane side. Haven't lost one since.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If it's beeping all the time then the setting is either too high or your pack is too low :)

And yeah, don't leave them plugged in overnight. That's the #1 way I seem to kill packs - forget that I had those little guys on and don't take them off after flying. Somehow it always seems time that I'm not at home when they start beeping and by the time I am home they're done beeping and my pack is dangerously low :( Once or twice I've managed to catch them in time when I heard them start beeping at me from the back room and realize I forgot to disconnect them.

I do like the hardcase ones - they seem to take a lot more abuse. I was buying cheap adjustable ones that were just shrink wrapped off ebay this summer and they were only lasting one or two crashes. They looked fine - but the beepers would get damaged internally and get really quiet or just stop beeping. They're still handy for testing voltage with the LED display but useless as in-flight battery warnings. The hardcase ones I've bought have taken a LOT of very hard hits and still work. They've gotten a little quieter...but still loud enough for my FT mini planes - can't hear them over four rotors on my quads though :D