New Adams foam board?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have been in contact with Adams since jan and actually have good news. Based on our feedback they are testing updated paper. They are sending me a few boards of the new stuff to test. I got an email about this last week so I should know pretty soon if there is light at the end of this tunnel.

wow that sounds great, and thank you so much for what you are doing for the community,
I would also like to add thank you for the good quality "how to design DTFB airplanes" videos and inspiring me to get into designing a few of my own planes with some success.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Update on the sample boards Adams sent me

OLD | 0525
CURRENT | 0524
SAMPLE | no sku yet

I ran through all the same tests, strength, humidity, cutting, etc. Overall the sample boards are a huge improvement over 0524! The main negative is that it's still brittle when compared to 0525. I don't have a confirmation on ship date yet, but Adams should be updating to the new paper soon. I have asked them to update the SKU so that we can tell which boards are which on the store shelves.

Positive
- The sample boards cut much nicer than the 0524 so I am very happy about this!!
- Paper comes off in solid sections like 0525
- Humidity has little effect on the sample boards

Negative
- Strength testing seems in line with 0524, which is weaker than 0525 by about 10%
- Durability is like 0524, more brittle than 0525

Neutral
- Weight is a little heavier than 0525, but not by much

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nic,

You've got to be the most determined person I know! Great job brother!

jamboree1

That's good news Nic, also shows that Adams cares about it's products. I don't care what anyone else said, going direct to adam's was the way to go. Is this the end product they will produce or is it just experimental?

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
And here I was thinking there was something wrong with me when I couldn't peel the paper like Ed (ExperimentalAirlines) or bevel in one step like Peter.

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
And here I was thinking there was something wrong with me when I couldn't peel the paper like Ed (ExperimentalAirlines) or bevel in one step like Peter.

I was just building today when I realised the changes. To peel the paper just dip the foam in some water for a few seconds. After letting it sit (not in the water) the paper will come right off. No damage to the foam. For one sided peeling just be careful not to let the foam soak too long or flip to the other side.

A bit of a turn on the whole waterproofing flaw of foam board.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I figured that out quickly, But I thought I was doing something wrong or my foamboard was damaged somehow until I found out they changed it.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The new foam should be on store shelves now. Adams switched production to the new new paper about a month ago but the SKU was not updated. You won't be able to tell the difference on the shelves between the two versions so either wait it out or order a full box to ensure you get the latest foam.

Happy building everyone.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Good to know! I still have about half a box of the old pre-chanage foam I hoarded - I may still be a bit miserly with it another month just to make sure the old stock clears out of my local stores ;) Besides it's summer here (supposed to be 118f tomorrow!) so I don't like taking my hot glue and foam planes out (the glue tends to just fall off after about 10 minutes) and I'm too impatient to use more permanent glues :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Seems the QC is a bit...interesting...on the current foam :(

Picked some up a week or two ago, pretty sure it's the latest batch. Noticed the boxes are now 65 sheets instead of 20. Just cut an X-29 and started building it up...but noticed a lot of things fitting oddly. At first I wondered if it was something about the way I cut it - but my parts match the PDF...so I started to wonder if Sponzs had slipped on the PDF's. Then I noticed something on two pieces I glued next to each other:

22014647_10154670797346805_1715601230_n.jpg

Both of these sheets came out of the same box (which looked freshly opened since it was still apparently full - though I didn't count to confirm :D )

The one on the left is barely 3mm thick. The one on the right is over 5mm.

Next trip to dollar tree I'm thinking I may need to bring my calipers. Or at least cut a go/no-go gauge to check thickness with.

On the upside the thin stuff did make forming the X-29 canopy easy...but due to how thin it was it didn't fit against the former.

rfd

AMA 51668
while i'm a stone-cold newbie to building foamies, i've been scratch building balsa planes since the very early 1950's. those were the dayze of nitro paint over stretched silk airframe coverings. yeah, i'm old, and i've built and flown fixed wing model aircraft within nearly every AMA flight discipline.

i looked at some of the old and new DT foam boards a month or so ago (nope, none left, and definitely none bought by me) - they were terrible, all warped and badly rippled. that stuff was pure junk for model plane building.

so i bought a case of FT WR board. yes, shipping is expensive - and just wait 'til you find out how much the rates will go up next year. the double boxed foam arrived and though every single sheet was Dead Flat, all were horribly rippled to the point they would never make viable airframes. i sent pix of the boards to FT and much to my surprise, FT immediately shipped out another box. big kudo's to jen! the new batch was also dead flat, but there was/is a very slight "wave ripple" to all boards. significantly better, but not perfect. it will hafta do just fine.

alas and alack, i suspect that searching for perfectly dead flat non-rippled foam board will be like don quixote's dragon quest. i sure hope i'm wrong. i always looked down on foamies and now the "enemy" is me. foamie building and flying is just too much fun. but clearly at the central heart of this branch of model airplane building is the foam board. without that, building will always be a fight of sorts, and not a flight.

cheers,
rob.

Last edited:

pghat15

Back Ordered

Funny thing is, I got a bunch of plans printed out at Staples, and when I go to Dollar Tree, I discover the DTFB is out of stock nationwide. The manager said they too were trying to figure out why they haven't had the foam board. I guess, the FT water resistant foam board is the best option here.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Buy the foam board from Dollar Tree online by the case and have it drop shipped to your local store (free). The last case of 25 sheets I received is the best quality Adams Readi-Board I have ever used. The box arrived without a dent. One side of the foam is perfectly flat and the waves on the opposite side are hard to see. No warping at all after storing at 65% humidity for two months in my basement workshop.

Jon

rfd

AMA 51668
it's possible the DT website scans browser IP addresses in order to broadly pinpoint where the user is located. i can see DT thinks my central office is 3 NJ towns away, by zip code, because that's where my verizon fios feed comes from.