Show off your HZ Super Cub!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I had the same thing happen to me. Apparently there is a problem with the DX4 and DX5 models and the power switch. There is a whole thread on here somewhere about it.

Hmm, I wonder if the part is available from them so I can try and fix it. I wrote them and explained the problem and received an e-mail back yesterday morning telling me they were sending me a new radio, and that they didn't want the old one back. It arrived today, so now I've got a spare to buddy-box with if I can fix the switch! Pretty darn good customer support, although I'd rather not have busted my planes to hell to test that service...

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
Hmm, I wonder if the part is available from them so I can try and fix it. I wrote them and explained the problem and received an e-mail back yesterday morning telling me they were sending me a new radio, and that they didn't want the old one back. It arrived today, so now I've got a spare to buddy-box with if I can fix the switch! Pretty darn good customer support, although I'd rather not have busted my planes to hell to test that service...

Who did you write to? I called them and they said that I am going to have to send it in and if something is wrong, I would have to pay for it more than likely. He also said that he wasn't aware of any issues with the DX5e's but it is obvious there is.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Mine is the DX4 that came with the HZ Super Cub - maybe since it's such an inexpensive radio they swap them instead of fix them? Or maybe the page of information and pictures I sent them compelled them to just swap it since I've been through a lot of damage due to the radio.

robschonk

My buddy had the DX4 and it had a problem but HH just sent him a DX5 to replace it. I would call for sure.

The pot on my elevator on my DX4 went out. Did tests with VOM, etc, and sent the results to HZ. They told me to mail it back. Not impressed with service.

My MCX2 wouldn't generate enough lift to fly after 25 flights. They said the motors had worn out. Even less impressed.

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
The pot on my elevator on my DX4 went out. Did tests with VOM, etc, and sent the results to HZ. They told me to mail it back. Not impressed with service.

My MCX2 wouldn't generate enough lift to fly after 25 flights. They said the motors had worn out. Even less impressed.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I pretty much stick to planks and not helis but the luck is good through them with the airplanes. I hope you get it all worked out.

earthsciteach

HZ SC Mid-air Collision

Went flying with friends this morning. We had three planes in the air. As usual, things degenerated into us chasing each other's plane and generally just trying to mess with the other guy. Grandi was flying his Sky Surfer and Vince had his brushless, 4 channel modded HZ Mini-SC in the air. They were tangled up in a furball with each other, totally oblivious to my lurking HZ SC.

I came in low and pulled up, climbing toward both of them. Grandi's Sky Surfer hit my Cubby sending parts fluttering. I laughed at my success in partially dismembering Grandi's plane. My merriment was misplaced. A moment later I realized the parts falling to Earth were mine. Drat!

After the collision, the Cub continued flying. I began a gentle 180 degree right turn to bring her in and inspect the damage. I had to use full rudder and ailerons to keep it under control as it wanted to roll. As she turned, silhouetted against the sky, I saw the extent of the damage.

The left horizontal stabilizer and elevator surface were completely gone. And, there was an obvious chunk missing from the left wing. Yet, she was still flying! I had enough control to bring her back to the asphalt and land safely! It was a rough landing and she nosed over when she hit the grass median in the parking lot (thankfully, no curb). But, I was able to land her!

As I walked back to the others with my damaged Cub, I didn't feel like they were adequately appreciative of the gravity of the situation I had overcome. So, I made sure to tell them how impressive my flying skills were. I'm not sure it sunk in completely, though. Genius and talent are often lost on others.

Attachments

• Cub collision.jpg
    Cub collision.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 46

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
AWESOME!!!
I had a combat mid air with two foamies, the super cub lost half its left wing, it's elevator was damaged, and it's motor was chewing its front to bits. IT STILL LANDED! Rightside up on two wheels!

My 0.15 combat plane was fine, but unfortunately for a nearby T-28, I was still watching the cub. The t-28 soon lay in Innumerable pieces on the ground, and my prop shattered.... which is instant death to an ssc Combat plane. Oh well.
P.S. I think its time for a new paintjob!:p

Carbon

Elemental Madness
My cub doesn't exist anymore...
I lost it in a horrible crash that would have cost more in replacement parts then to just get a new one. It was what made me leave Spektrum actually...

Parachutes and nerf footballs.
The nerf darts are fun too, just a lot of stuff to pick up
You can also saw a roll of toilet paper into three parts, fun, just more stuff to pick up.

Alright friends, what is your favorite thing to bomb drop from your aircraft? Parachutes, flour bombs, nerf footballs, other?

Parachutes so far. The kids love chasing it.

I've tried flower bombs, but they didn't have enough speed to bust open. Nerf gun darts are fun. I hold them to the underside of the wings with long rubber bands. The cub can carry A LOT of these.

I like the idea Flite Test had of using the flags marking underground utilities. Yeah, slightly dangerous if you get under them and the ground probably has to be somewhat soft for them to stick, but they're cheap and effective.

Has anyone tried night time drop.. This is.. Something I'm looking to and have (I think) found a preeeeeety cool little idea..

Now before u think I'm crazy and that Im Gunna drop something covered in lights powered by a lipo and find it after i have dropped it by the fire it creates after busting up a lipo then.. Well.. Just hear me out lol

Nerf darts.. Pack of 30 for like.. £4
And then.. There are these little like.. Finger rave light type things (http://www.1topstore.com/en-gbp/8-led-finger-lights-uk-bright-rave-party-dance-fun-glow-p11120.html) sorry I don't know how to just write ''link'' and it be the link... Take the little LED lights out of there.. Cram them in the end of the nerf..
And hey presto

And I admit.. This isn't my idea.. I saw it when looking to see how good the glow in the dark nerf darts are (not very BTW) when I stumbled across a video of a guy who had done this so he could 'nerf' in the dark..

Here the video so u can see it works pretty damn well

Anyway will try it out some time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFX0wJ8FbBQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

earthsciteach

That is a fancy parachute! Does anyone know if rip stop nylon can be bought at local fabric stores? Beats the heck out of a garbage bag chute!