To HAM or not to HAM?

llebreknit1

To HAM or not to HAM, that is the question.

It seem to me that there are a lot of questions regarding what are some FPV transmitting power and limitations for different transmitting frequencies such as the 5.8ghz and lower frequencies. Questions such as:
Do I need a HAM license to operate on ______ frequencies and power?
What tx power can I use in general?
When/what level do I need a HAM license?

What I would like to see is an episode that details and addresses the issues above and maybe expand on them. Also, where to find the resources for support (if you have to defend your equipment).

I know people operate without licenses but this would be nice to have a basic explanation as I've seen it populate in many forums without a pure solid answer. Thanks and hopefully you'll consider this so flite test viewers can fly safe and legal with their equipment.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
HAM.

Becasue the worlds needs more dead pigs.
(brought to you by the local Pork council)

Ok, in all seriousness, there are no solid answers becasue the law in the upper bands is convoluted. With an amature license you're authorized to transmit up to More-than-you'll-ever-need levels or a manufacturer can have theri device part-15 certified to be compliant in the band for operation without a license . . . which has it's own odd and convoluted rules and exceptions . . .

There's no-mans land in between that MANY FPV pilots live in, yet do not have the authority to legally do so. are they breaking the law? yes. Are they going to get caught and fined ooodles of money, probably not. Are they hurting anyone? there's no way they can really ensure they're not.

In short, it's not that hard, not that expensive and in the process of studying for the test you'll learn things you need to know.

so back to my original assessment:

HAM

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yum... delicious ham. Craftydan has wise advice. On a side note, I joined the rc hobby to meet more girls. I was a little disappointed that didn't work out. I'm surprised by how many women voices I hear on uhf.

Ace2317

Crafty Dan has spoken! In all seriousness, you may as well go ahead and get it. Here's a link to a pretty detailed post with some input from folks with HAM licenses. We decided that my setup is legal (only for the sake of flying until I get my HAM license. I'm a teacher. I don't have free time again until June) as best we can interpret the law. But like it's been said, just go ahead and get it when you can. It's worth it in the long run.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?15436-HAM-license/page2&highlight=ham

MrClean

Hamtestonline, I'm doin it. Have no intention of setting up a shack and talking to people all over the world, got the puter to do that. Don't need another hobby BUT might like to extend the range of my FPV'n AND it's sumpthin to do instead of just reading threads.

The more you learn, the more you get to forget when Alzheimers kicks in!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Ace2317, I think you may have misunderstood what people are saying in that thread. Technically, you do need a amateur license for 200mw 5.8ghz. the fcc approved power output for unlicensed use is about 15mw, based on my calculations. That said, I don't think anyone is going to go on a fox hunt for your vtx ;)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I can't think of any defensible reason not to and plenty of reasons to. This is one thing I've been very disappointed that FT hasn't addressed. Getting licensed isn't hard and I can't see any of the FT guys having a hard time getting licensed. There are lots of radio clubs in their area and I'm sure a few of them would LOVE the exposure they'd get by helping the FT guys get legal.

It's a hobby that meshes wonderfully with RC and in fact was instrumental in making RC what it is today. Getting licensed is easier now than it's ever been and the cost is so low there just isn't an excuse not to do it.

Definitely ham. The expertise you gain from getting your ticket can be applied in ways you might not appreciate until you need it. For example, lose the antenna off your receiver? Not that tough to fabricate a new one. Potential radio interference at your flying field? Build a high-gain directional antenna and locate the source with an appropriate receiver. And you won't have to worry about Part 15 limitations on your FPV equipment.

Plus, it's a lot of fun on its own -- something to fill the cold winter season when you can't fly.

Just an aside: the word "ham" is not an acronym for anything -- no capitalization needed. There are many stories on the origin of the word (most are apocryphal, I'm sure), but I won't go into those.

Trinitron79

Found a local class / exam. Did the class today and passed the exam. Was kinda interesting and fun, 15$ for the exam and a loss of a Saturday. If you're going to do FPV, blow a day and 15$ and get yourself covered.

Burly

Here's what I posted on the afore mentioned thread:

"I think the Ham Technician License Tests have 35 questions.
All 425 possible test questions are available for download and self study (in other words...memorization).
Here's the link to the page.
http://ncvec.org/page.php?id=362
The files are available as PDF DOC or TXT files.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Found a local class / exam. Did the class today and passed the exam. Was kinda interesting and fun, 15$ for the exam and a loss of a Saturday.

From start to finish all in one day? That's impressive.

I'm studying slowly in between school work for my license. I'm seeing that it will be very helpful just to know more about the subject seeing it has so much to do with our hobby. Here is a thread made for people looking to get their license. It contains a lot of free resources to help you study.

White28

Get Licensed!

I got my amateur radio license when I started flying paragliders. If I land out in the boondocks there is likely to be no cell coverage and a handheld 2 meter can reach out get me a retrieve. That's all I use it for - I'm not into the other aspects of the hobby. But here's a heads-up - the guys that are really into it, love to hunt down abusers and bust them. FCC penalties can be really stiff. The abusers - like in any sport or hobby - risk endangering an activity we all love.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Would the process of getting a HAM license give them the ability to do so ? (the latter part of your quote)

The process of getting a ham/amateur radio license will give them the exposure / information to better know whether they are causing harm vs not causing harm.

Here's a hypothetical situation:
If I didn't know about radio technology, and just bought a 7W hand held "walkie talkie" (it's actually a multiband transceiver) on ebay for $30 and used the local scan button to find traffic, I hit upon a repeater that's also being used by ARES operators who happen to be helping out with disaster recovery for some tornado stricken area, well, because it's a cheap radio, the external mic/speaker has a faulty switch and the first time I key the mic, it sticks on... I've just blocked the net, without knowing better.

Sure it's all hypothetical and a little far fetched, but that's what the process is supposed to prevent.

marc60

As most FPV flyers don't build there own Rx en Tx (RF or video), you don't need HAM for that.
You might get HAM to legally use more power or use 433 mHz. That way you get more range/distance and fly out of LOS.
So from illegally using high power or illegal frequencies you go to illegal range, at least in Europe :p
I'd say have fun whatever way you choose.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
As most FPV flyers don't build there own Rx en Tx (RF or video), you don't need HAM for that.

Actually, that's not quite true... a lot of FPV VTX operate at higher than 25mW levels, which generally speaking, do require an amateur/ham license for those levels. That said, yes, you can buy low power VTX systems that do not require ham licenses, but that's a more recent development.

marc60

Well, I said most, there's always people that make everything themselves, I admire them, I cannot do that.
But you don't need a HAM to build, you need HAM to use them :)
I can't imagine that anyone is hunted down for using 2.4 Ghz or 5.8Ghz with 600mW or 433 mHz
That said using this without HAM is just as illegal as using it with HAM for long distance (in Europe)
If you don't want to use gear that needs HAM, but still want more distance there's a lot to gain in using better antennas
grts. Marc

EDIT, I have been thinking on getting HAM for immersion 433 mHz, not for long range to fly beyond LOS, but to get a more reliable system within LOS of my spotter.

Last edited:

Trinitron79

Another site is http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/, you'll have to make a log-in but it will keep track of your scores.

I did about 10-12 practice tests before my class, the class then explained what I didn't understand, never got above a 74% before the class. Took the test right after the class and only missed 2 questions.