Corsair build nearly finished

Mitch

Hi everyone, I’m from the UK, have spent the last year or so building this Corsair. Sorting out C.O.G. at the moment, it needs about 200 grams in the nose, would be interested to hear if that seems normal with a 3 cell as far forward as possible.
Regards Geoff.

Attachments

• C0F4D6FC-2C9B-4409-98A3-6FBCBDD4AF25.jpeg
    C0F4D6FC-2C9B-4409-98A3-6FBCBDD4AF25.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CD868371-351A-4503-96CA-C08AE1F4FE2B.jpeg
    CD868371-351A-4503-96CA-C08AE1F4FE2B.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 0

ATMIST

Hi everyone, I’m from the UK, have spent the last year or so building this Corsair. Sorting out C.O.G. at the moment, it needs about 200 grams in the nose, would be interested to hear if that seems normal with a 3 cell as far forward as possible.
Regards Geoff.
That's a beautiful F4U Paint job! How many layers of paint do you have to add to get that great look?

Mitch

No, I haven’t flown any RC plane yet! I have a Volantex Ranger which I’m hoping to learn on (crash).
I’m going to join a local club who may have someone who is willing to fly the Corsair before I damage it...
If not I’ll hang it from the ceiling and just look at it.🙄

ATMIST

Great idea! Fly alot with the Volantex Ranger, because the F4U corsair is going be harder to handle...well, that depends on how much expo you are willing to fly with. You can experiment with the Volantex on that and try to get a good feeling on how much it effects the plane.
But anyways joining the local flying club is a great first step!
And if you are able record you're first flight. Always fun too look back at.

Spitfire1

Question for you Mitch, did you build this out of foam? What plans did you use? Can I get a copy of your plans? You have done a FANTASTIC job on that. Sounds like it was one of your first to build. I started with the FT Mini Mustang and crashed it terribly a number of times and never got that one in the air. I went through a number of other Flite Test designs including the FT Spitfire with no success, until I built the Explorer and actually got that one to fly. I then built the STORCH and that was a success followed by a modification I found to the Spitfire which was the Messerschmitt and that flies great. As Josh Bixler would say, "Embrace the crash". It's all part of the learning curve. I too am looking forward to viewing your flight. Best of luck.

Mitch

Hi Spitfire, just the standard Flite Test kit, with a lot of fillers and paint, hence the extra weight.
It may fly in the Spring or Summer of 2022, gathering dust though at the moment.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hi Spitfire, just the standard Flite Test kit, with a lot of fillers and paint, hence the extra weight.
It may fly in the Spring or Summer of 2022, gathering dust though at the moment.

From reading all about the various FT models needing a lot of nose weight is common on a stock build of the Corsair. Some people have got around adding so much nose weight (knowing the issue prior to the build) by removing paper inside the tail section. Using a slightly larger motor allowing for a slightly larger battery. Shifting things like servos and receivers forward.

It looks like you have the build skill you could even shift the wing back a few mm to alter the COG and fill in the area in front of the wing adding a little weight more forward as well. Even adding small stand offs on the motor mount would help a ton but might look a little off sticking out the front that extra little bit. You could use the stand offs for flying and remove them for when static as that is a beautiful build.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
throw an aura in it, or a spectrum safe receiver, and you wont have to worry about crashing it. just be careful with the aura what you program on the aura and what on the transmitter. if done wrong it could lead to the destruction of planes...

quorneng

Master member
Mitch
Your Corsair looks brilliant but "a lot of fillers and paint, hence the extra weight" will not make it fly any better indeed it actually makes it more difficult.
I would seriously put the Corsair to one side for the moment and get plenty of RC experience flying something else preferably lighter. slower flying and most important easily repairable.;)
Certainly join a club and get some proper RC tuition.
If you try to learn by yourself you will crash many times. Do you really want to risk your pride and joy?
Even if someone else has shown that your Corsair can fly that is absolutely no proof that you will be able to!

L Edge

Master member
No, I haven’t flown any RC plane yet! I have a Volantex Ranger which I’m hoping to learn on (crash).
I’m going to join a local club who may have someone who is willing to fly the Corsair before I damage it...
If not I’ll hang it from the ceiling and just look at it.🙄

1) Do join a club to learn how to fly.
2) Do not let anyone just fly your Corsair.
3) Let it sit on the shelf until you learn how to fly and can actually put a plane where you want to in flight.
4) Then, either let a (good or top instructor) or yourself test fly it to see how it performs.
5) As I said, WW2 planes are tough to learn on(tip stalls, ground effects, etc).

Suggest that you know how to fly with rudder before you try it, that will save you many crashes.

Bigeard

Regards Geoff.
Hi Mitch , Im from the UK also . First congratulations on an absolutely first class looking corsair and this is the model I would be looking to build and paint in the not too distant future but the 737mm wingspan model whenever UK stockists get them in !! Just from a paint point of view did you prime the model first ? and did you add any varnish ? Also did you add any reinforcement into the model ?
Good luck with your flying training and hopefully soon you will be able to fly the corsair .

Last edited: