New to the forum

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Hi there everyone just wanted to say hello.
I have always been into moplanes from an early age, I eventually got int RC flying back in the 80s. Unfortunately, around the same time I got divorced so my flying and model building got side lined. About 2 years ago I bought my son a drone for Christmas and it sparked my interest again.

Since then I have built a number of Flite test models all from scratch I might add, I have also converted some of my balsa models from nitro to electric. At the start of this month, I passed my solo certificate at my new club, so now I am permitted to fly solo. Unfortunately the following day we went into a second lock down in the UK so I haven't been able to fly since

My most recent build is the FT Sportster (see attachment) which is not quite finished yet, ran out of red Acrylic paint and needs a windscreen
20201120_153354[1].jpg

20201120_160919[1].jpg

I am also starting construction of the FT Edge, looking forward to the challenge and new building skills.

I will add a picture of my FT Spitfire as an attachment as well, that one flew really well and looked great in the sky.
IMG-20200623-WA0007[1].jpeg

SPITFIRE_1[1].jpg

Looking forward to the FT simple stick plans becoming available to download, and contibuting to the forum in the future.

Regards Ian

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Apologies the paint jobs are not ideal, my airbrush doesnt work cheap rubbish so all my models are hand painted with a brush.
:confused:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Paint work looks very neat for brush painting! I use spray paint and mask bits off with tape - trouble is, sometimes when you remove the tape, it can take an existing layer of paint with it. I've found spraying the paint on to a brush and re-touching by hand works well - I defaulted on spray paint 'cause I didn't want brush-tracks, but it seems that doesn't happen much with foam!

Might as well share my proudest paint job: :p

20200804_211446.jpg

20200804_212106.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
IMG-20200409-WA0006[1].jpeg

I spray painted the fluorescent base coat but hand painted the sculls, drew them first with a pencil then coloured them in. I treat the acrylic to a coat of polyeuothane water based varnish after that gives it a waterproof coating.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
IMG-20200204-WA0008[1].jpeg

Not one of my better paint jobs but it flies like its on rails, love this model for just throwing around the sky :)
IMG-20200204-WA0006[1].jpeg

This one took me ages to paint and to be honest didn't fly as well as I expected ( its okay once its up in the air though), you need to keep that speed up when landing and it always tips over onto its nose.
I swapped the motor since this picture, its now got a Sunny sky 2215 1250kv, which is much better it only need half throttle for take off. I also lst the wheel pants too much extra drag.

OliverW

Legendary member
View attachment 183780
Not one of my better paint jobs but it flies like its on rails, love this model for just throwing around the sky :)
View attachment 183781
This one took me ages to paint and to be honest didn't fly as well as I expected ( its okay once its up in the air though), you need to keep that speed up when landing and it always tips over onto its nose.
I swapped the motor since this picture, its now got a Sunny sky 2215 1250kv, which is much better it only need half throttle for take off. I also lst the wheel pants too much extra drag.
I would recommend bending the landing gear a little bit forwards to help stop the flipping

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
One thing I have learn't is the density of the foam board in the UK makes it heavier than the Dollar Tree foam board. Al my planes end up tail heavy and need additional nose weight to achieve the CG.
I appreciate battery placement sometimes helps, but in some models there is no room to move the battery any further forward.

Bricks

Master member
Welcome and I am usually the other way electrics I change over to gassers, at least the bigger then 40 size..

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Welcome and I am usually the other way electrics I change over to gassers, at least the bigger then 40 size..
Firstly thanks for the welcome.
The previous WOT trainer I had, was given to me but didn't have and engine at the time so I fitted an ENYA 40SS which I had spare. I took it to my club at the time and the Chairman (who's aspirations out weighed his abilities) said he would maiden it for me. I was a bit reluctant as I had little faith in the guy he had a habit of landing in the neighbouring trees around the club.
He proceeded to get the engine started, without doing any pre-checks or range test. I had already set the engine up to and it had been running sweet and idling perfect. However, on this particular day it kept cutting out so (lets call him Mr Chairman), Mr Chairman decided to play about with the throttle setting and air mixture. After 3 attempts to take off due to the throttle cutting out, I pointed out that there was air bubbles in the feed pipe. He lifted the plane and shook it, this must have feed the supply tube in the tank which was obviously kinked or restricted in some way.
Now the engine was running better but over reving due to his previous adjustments, he ignored this and took it to the runway anyway.

He then took off and within 45 seconds had buried it motor deep in a field. I managed to recover the engine and got it restored to its former glory, but havent gone back to nitro since. I also have the plane and most of the parts the front of the fuselage was obliterated upto the wing, which also took a hit and suffered minor damage. He never apologised and tried to blame the receiver (which I have used many times since with no issues) we never spoke much after that incident and 8 months later I left the club due to constant arguments within the club between members and the committee.

I am now glad to say, that I am in an excellent club, which has experienced trained fliers who take rules and safety very serious. I may revert back to my nitro roots in the future, as I still have a few engines but I'm in no rush at the moment. I am enjoying learning to fly all over again but with electric power.
Interestingly the trainer at my new club, who passed me for my solo certificate only flies gasers. I may ask him to give me some lessons when I am ready.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
SPITFIRE 2.jpg

Loved seeing it fly the only down side was the sound and make shift undercarriage, it was missing a 4 stroke engine and retracts.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I wouldn't let anyone maiden one of my planes. Nor would I want to maiden anyone else's. Whoever pays and puts the work in should get the first go and if it turns out too hard to fly, at least they're the one who gets to crash it as well - it's theirs to crash, not Mr. Chairman's. What a total expletetive that guy was!