155W motor in Twin boom pusher?

KJ4CCH

Hey,

I am looking to build a twin boom pusher out of foamboard. I am wondering if a 155W motor with maybe a 9 inch prop work well? Its a witespy red special. I run these things on my quad, and have an extra on laying around. I also have a 342W 2200Kv motor with a 40amp esc. But I really like the little 155w. I am looking to do around 30-40 inch wing span, so she wont be too big.

I might use carbon arrow shafts from walmart, or wooden dowels.

I am gonna carry a 2200mah battery, and fpv equipment.

What yall think?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have no idea what 155watts actually means with a motor. But I know what a 9 inch prop means. A twin boom pusher with a 30-40 inch wing span should work well.

I made a plane based on the Cessna Skymaster that I had set up as a single engine pusher. I used three sheets of foam board laminated together (using hot glue) for the booms and that worked extremely well. So if you're going for cheap, do that.

(See my signature for the Skymaster thread.)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Good rule of thumb for fixed wing is 100 Watts/lb -- with that, you should have fair sport flying and be able to perform light aerobatics.

A 155W motor should be good for around 1.5 lbs(~700g) AUW, assuming it's propped properly to draw this power out of these motors

. . . which goes to a hole in your specs -- without the motor's kV, it's hard to tel if 9" prop is properly sized for that motor. even if it's working fine on your multirotor, becasue it generally runs well below full throttle doesn't mean it's not under/overpropped. That's not nearly as critical for a multirotor as it is for a fixed wing.

KJ4CCH

Good rule of thumb for fixed wing is 100 Watts/lb -- with that, you should have fair sport flying and be able to perform light aerobatics.

A 155W motor should be good for around 1.5 lbs(~700g) AUW, assuming it's propped properly to draw this power out of these motors

. . . which goes to a hole in your specs -- without the motor's kV, it's hard to tel if 9" prop is properly sized for that motor. even if it's working fine on your multirotor, becasue it generally runs well below full throttle doesn't mean it's not under/overpropped. That's not nearly as critical for a multirotor as it is for a fixed wing.

oh wow I for got to mention that. Its a 1000 Kv haha. Ok awesome! I might just use my more powerful motor, it just draws a ton of amps.