• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2204 motor size too large for FT Mini SE5

talsteen

I'm building the Flite Test FT Mini SE 5 kit. I purchased the recommended motor, 2300kv 2204. However, the motor just barely fits into the SE5 cowling. If I try to offset the motor for thrust, there just isn't enough room without cutting some of the cowling out. Most motors I find on the internet are also the 2204 or larger size. Has enyone found any motors that might be a better fit than the 2204? I would think a 1600-1800 size motor would be a better option.

PS I built a scratch built Old Foggy and it flew great, right into the top of a tree, still there. I bought the mini Sportster and it didn't fly 20 feet no matter what I tried.

jaredstrees

Yup, you're going to have to carve out a little foam for that to fit. It won't hurt anything. I don't remember mine rubbing, but it was a tight fit.

I also couldn't get the mini sportster to fly worth a darn.

jaredstrees

Hard left turns after hand launch. Didn't seem to matter how much I adjusted the thrust angle. Of course, now that you've made me think about it, that may have been the mini speedster.