36" Drake II DTFB Build

TaleSpin

Hey all,

So I built a Drake II shrunk down to 36" WS from water resistant foam and taped it up (images attached, sorry forgot to take photos when I built the motor mount and wing, but used standard FT folding technique with the silhouette of the Drake II as guide for the wing and paint sticks with FT firewall for the mount). Yea I took the name a bit literal and taped a Mallard Duck Drake theme on it. I also modified the build slightly putting the floats on the wing since I don't really like the float spar appearance that it uses standard.

I currently have a Emax 2822 with a 6x4.5x3 prop and a BLHeli 30A esc using a 3s 2500mah xt60 battery. Upon maidening it today, I'm realizing I'm just not getting enough thrust with this motor and the undersized prop. She flies, but has trouble climbing (though I got to notice some gentle stall characteristics lol). There is no space for a bigger prop, so I'm going to have to swap the motor and/or ESC.

I have an Emax RS 2205 laying around, would this be a suitable alternative:confused:? If so, I'm going to have to change to a different 30A ESCs also d/t different size bullet connectors on the RS2205 and the BLHeli 30A ESC, and thus could use an ESC recommendation. Really I'm just looking for an good combo of an ESC and motor that would be a good replacement here considering 6" prop is going to be my limit and I'm hoping to stick with XT-60 connector on the battery side.

I figured the simplest solutions for me would be either use that RS 2205 and find an ESC, or stick with the same ESC and find a different motor (but am open to swapping both (keep in mind I have the firewall from the full size plane swappables from FT and prefer not to drill more holes or rebuild the engine mounts (might have to swap firewalls if I use that RS2205 anyway though)). I'd appreciate anybody's $0.02. Sorry if this seems like a question that's been asked before in other threads, I didn't really find my answer through the forum browsing I'd done so far :black_eyed:.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I love the theme! now here is the question: if it weighs more than a duck, it is not a witch. so how much does it weigh?

TaleSpin

Looks great! Where do you get your colored packing tape?

http://www.tapeplanet.com/

used plans from here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?755688-FFF-Drake-seaplane-PLANS
I just made the wing differently and lost a couple of the fuselage supports as I built the engine into the wing not the fuselage. I printed it at 80% to do 36" wing span.

Anybody with ideas for the power system combo. I'm thinking of doing that Emax RS2205 with a 30A ESC and a 6040 or 6045 prop. Should have thrust for days with that setup...

TaleSpin

So I went with the Emax RS2205 and a 30A BLHeli ESC, soldered on the 2mm bullet connectors and an XT-60. Powering with a 3s 2500mAh LiPo and propped it with a 6045. I just did some taxi testing on grass. Thrust is amazing, I can't imagine I'll have any issues with climbing (and imagine if I throw in a 4s!!!) .

Only sad part is I don't get to use a spinner nut or the prop adapter so I have to stare at an ugly M5 nut for now and I have to adjust the engine cowling since the RS2205 is much smaller than the CF2822. Holy cow though, this motor is nuts - guess that's what I get choosing a racing quad motor haha.

Also did a test in my bathtub to see that it is water tight. I need to waterproof the ESC and the receiver (everything else was done in the building process), then I'm good to go for water flight. I expect a pretty short life from this plane since my dad lives on the water, I'll be flying it off saltwater pretty frequently. CorrosionX HD and some distilled water hopefully prolong the life, but I figure eventually the salt will get under some of the tape and delaminate it. If anybody has any other tips for saltwater flying, it'd be much appreciated.

TaleSpin

The Duckling

So I made a version of the MicroDrake Blown up 125% to have a 20" wing span. Here it is:
IMG_3386-1.JPG IMG_3387-1.JPG IMG_3388-1.JPG IMG_3389-1.JPG IMG_3390.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

TaleSpin

SPECS ON THAT DUCKLING! and PLANS
looks great!

I built it with the water resistant foamboard and put the squish on some of the pieces of the tail to make them a little thinner. Plans were printed at 125% to hit 20" wingspan. I have a NTM Prop Drive 13-12 2400kV motor with a 4045 (have a 4045x3 if not enough thrust) prop and a 6a ESC. Flying a FrSky Micro transmitter and HobbyKing 1.7g Micro Servos (could probably just use the 3.7g mini servos to fly a dif receiver). Can fly 2-3s. I don't have a scale to get you the AUW, but I also need a bigger battery to balance since it's a touch tail heavy with the 300 mAh 2s I have and I hate to add useless weight rather than add to my flight time. Made the plane at 16" wing span (with foam from foam plates), but wanted a touch bigger. It flew great, but had a little trouble coming off the water. Thinking this will work better with a touch more size and power. Also for this one I think I'm going to put the floats off the wings like I did on my Drake II. It's raining so I haven't done the maiden yet... I know, I know it's a seaplane who cares about rain... Link to the plans below.

http://www.flyrc.com/micro-drake-plans-download/

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I built it with the water resistant foamboard and put the squish on some of the pieces of the tail to make them a little thinner. Plans were printed at 125% to hit 20" wingspan. I have a NTM Prop Drive 13-12 2400kV motor with a 4045 (have a 4045x3 if not enough thrust) prop and a 6a ESC. Flying a FrSky Micro transmitter and HobbyKing 1.7g Micro Servos (could probably just use the 3.7g mini servos to fly a dif receiver). Can fly 2-3s. I don't have a scale to get you the AUW, but I also need a bigger battery to balance since it's a touch tail heavy with the 300 mAh 2s I have and I hate to add useless weight rather than add to my flight time. Made the plane at 16" wing span (with foam from foam plates), but wanted a touch bigger. It flew great, but had a little trouble coming off the water. Thinking this will work better with a touch more size and power. Also for this one I think I'm going to put the floats off the wings like I did on my Drake II. It's raining so I haven't done the maiden yet... I know, I know it's a seaplane who cares about rain... Link to the plans below.

http://www.flyrc.com/micro-drake-plans-download/
Thank you!:D

TaleSpin

No worries, I also added a little upward thrust angle (rather than neutral as indicated by the plans) since it tends to nose down a bit with the thrust being so high above CG