3D Printing

MrBaz

I decided I should probably start a build log before I get too far along and forget some critical details.

To make a long story short, I saw all of the 3D printed planes the internet. Almost all of them were done on a SLS machine out of nylon material. The ones that were printed with consumer based 3D printers were....lacking. I thought I could do them one better.

Feel free to comment and ask questions as I go. I enjoy constructive criticism. Just don't be a douche.

I apologize in advance for missing some initial steps. I'm printing ABS material on a VERY limited build area, which is why the pieces are so small.

This plane is a prototype where I'm testing design ideas, printing methods, assembly methods, etc. It is a test mule designed to work, not exactly look pretty. I'll clean it up near the end.

Two fuselage pieces glued together:

Shows airfoil profile:

Interior:

Center airfoil: (Holes will be explained later)

Motor cowling:

ESC will mount in here:

MrBaz

Fuselage and center airfoil joined:

5 wing sections joined. Ailerons/flaps on the small side. This is just the left wing section. Total wing span will be around 1100mm - 1200mm.

MrBaz

Not sure why some of these pictures are so red. The white balance on my cell phone must be whacky.

Nose, fuse, partial tail, center wing, and motor cowling glued up:

highflying

Yes, they will be fine, ailerons will be easy to put on. I love the style of plane. You sir, are a true pioneer, and I would very much like to see the finished product.

MrBaz

Yes, they will be fine, ailerons will be easy to put on. I love the style of plane. You sir, are a true pioneer, and I would very much like to see the finished product.

Thank you for the kind words!

I've found designing to be liken to writing; sometimes you get writer's block. Other times, the ideas just start flowing and you have to put them down ASAP before you forget!

My last big design is the tail. I was originally thinking of a V-tail, but I think I'm going to need more lift from the tail since I don't believe it will have enough weight in the nose.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Nice! I look forward to following your progress! What kind of glue are you using? Just melting the plastic with acetone? What 3D printer are you using? How long does each section / part take to print? Just curious.

MrBaz

Nice! I look forward to following your progress! What kind of glue are you using? Just melting the plastic with acetone? What 3D printer are you using? How long does each section / part take to print? Just curious.

Using acetone and abs glue (abs dissolved in acetone). Right now, I'm using a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic. I need more money so I can build a Delta-Bot. It takes way too long for each section right now due to the printer. A modern printer could do it in half the time.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Using acetone and abs glue (abs dissolved in acetone). Right now, I'm using a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic. I need more money so I can build a Delta-Bot. It takes way too long for each section right now due to the printer. A modern printer could do it in half the time.

Think of it this way, your getting it done. where we can only dream. This will be the future. Just remember dot matrix printers, and dial up connections...

MrBaz

Think of it this way, your getting it done. where we can only dream. This will be the future. Just remember dot matrix printers, and dial up connections...

Trying to get it done as soon as I can. As far as I know, I will be the first to have a plane of this size/scale, printed from ABS from a desktop 3D printer fly.

oOFutteOo

Looks nice! I love 3D printers, unfurtunly i dont have one my self. I have desigend som small items my self and a frind have printed them for me.

All in all i really like your desigen, but i have some questions and thourts about it.

i asume the round holes in the wing are ment for Carbon wing spar dose the plane have eny dihedreal?
Are you going to cover the plane in some sort of film? And final qustion, whey havent you made a hole in the middel of the tale so you could glue in a Carbon rod/pipe to give more strength and regity.

smithhayward

Large Child
Thanks to oOFutteOo for commenting and bringing this to my attention. I got a Monoprice dual extruder last October and I had thought of something like this but I just figured it would end up being too heavy. Maybe not...

I see the last pictures are from May 2015, what's the status of the project, MrBaz?

Once I'm done with my plane for the Spring Build-off, I might have to start researching doing something like this myself...

Just another project to pile onto the desk of projects that may never be...

~Smith

nistrum

I am about to use 3D printing for a plane. i will post here at some point. but it should be interesting. it would be good to know how heavy this ended up being. if anyone reads this by the way if possible try and make sure the internal structures are triangular rather than boxy. will save weight and improve strength.

MrBaz

Sorry for such a long time since the last post. A lot of things have transpired since last I was here. I scrapped that project almost entirely. I now have a very large Delta Printer I designed/sourced/fabricated myself. My CAD skills have improved as well.

ABS was a poor choice of material. It isn't that strong and suffers from weak interlayer bonding and significant warping.

I will be using PETG material for the new design. It will have a larger cord and better profile.

Last edited:

oOFutteOo

Sounds intrasting looking forward to seeing you progres and work i have just placede a order on the wanhoe lookalike from HK

beanie

that's awesome mrbaz! how did you choose ABS over PLA or HIPS? can't wait to see the final product. is this your own design?
-beanie

nistrum

if you want or need any help with any of it let me know. i have a lot of 3D printing Exp. and i work as a 3D artist so i can help you with the modelling side of things

brserle

I too have designed and 3D printed a plane using a cheap home 3d printer (XYZ 1.0). Here is the youtube link to a powered ground test before i applied monokote.
https://youtu.be/j2bjABTIfo8
IMG_0373 (2).JPG IMG_0377 (2).JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0484 (2).JPG IMG_0492 (2).JPG IMG_0513 (2).JPG IMG_0560 (2).JPG IMG_0561 (2).JPG

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am working on the 3DLabPrint Easymax001 with a XYZ DaVinci 1.0A. Doing the main parts in Translucent PLA, wingtips and control surfaces in Black PLA.

FuselageMock.jpg
Goodresults.jpg
LeftWing.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ohhhh pretty! That's the one I've been thinking of starting too. What software chain did you use for slicing? Or did you just run their g-code directly?