6-Foot Henschel Hs. 129 B

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Hello all! This is the thread, as the title suggests, for my scratch-build of a six foot wingspan Henschel Hs. 129 B.

The Hs. 129 B was the first airplane ever designed specifically as a close air support aircraft. The only other plane to have been designed in this role exclusively is the A-10 Warthog, currently used by the U.S. Air force. The B variant that I am basing my build on is a much improved version of the original design of the Hs.129, which featured extremely underpowered engines.

More info on the Hs.129: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henschel_Hs_129

This whole build started last December with the tail surfaces and fuselage formers being drawn up on Microsoft Powerpoint. Over the last 8 months, not much got done. Recently I picked up momentum on the project and am now making good progress (at least by my standards).

The build started with the tail surfaces.
P1180200.JPG P1180193.JPG P1180198.JPG

The tail is made of two separate horizontal stabilizers and the vertical stabilizer. Both were made by folding a single piece of foam over on top of a main spar, very similar to the classic FT wings. The H-stabs were connected with two pieces of 1/4 inch dowel, and the same was done to the V-stab. The rear dowel on the V-stab (in the second pic) was fitted through a flat piece of basswood on the H-stab with a hole drilled (shown in the first pic). The final result is very strong and easy to mount on the fuselage due to the V-stab's protruding dowel rods. The elevators themselves are connected with a piece of coat hanger at the rear.

Next came the main fuselage.

P1180216.JPG P1180232.JPG P1180219.JPG
There's not much to say about the fuselage itself. The base of it is a simple yardstick cut down from 36 inches to 30 inches. The formers that run the length will be wrapped in foamboard, with parts cut out for hatches and access panels. The tail was attached using a strip of wood that utilized the two V-stab spars and reached forward past the first two formers. The whole assembly is easily attached and detached by the screws holding it together. Strong, simple, and easy to break down for transport.

Last built so far were the servo mountings and the hook up of the rudder.
P1180219.JPG P1180226.JPG

The servo mountings are simple pieces of basswood glued to the bottom of the yardstick going through the middle of the fuselage. Holes were drilled to allow small wood screws to hold down the outside corner of each servo. A second strip running across the top was planned, which is why there are spacers putting the servos flush with the yardstick. It turns out the mountings were plenty strong on their own, so the top parts were left off. The pushrod took a little thought, as the longest pushrod I had available was about 30 inches long. I needed a 37 inch pushrod to fully link the servo rudder. What i came up with was a bellcrank connecting a smaller piece of pushrod i had laying around with the 30 inch piece. It is mounted on a BBQ skewer with a plate of basswood below it to help keep it from wobbling back and forth when it rotates and a small bead of hot glue above the bellcrank keeps it from sliding up.

A video of the whole assembly moving:

Overall, this is the largest build I've ever attempted by far, with a fuselage longer than most of my fleets' wingspans! I hope to get the whole plane done by Flite Fest Texas, but school is starting in a week, and there is still a ton of work to do.

Thanks!
Sam

Attachments

• P1180227.JPG
    P1180227.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1180228.JPG
    P1180228.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
The build started with the tail surfaces.
So... will you please share how you did the tips of the tail surfaces?...
I'm guessing a fold over the leading edge, then trimming paper and finally sanding to get such a nice edge?
(Are you using hot glue? I would think it might ball up while sanding...)

I'm really intrigued by how nice they look!

ThatsALotOfPlanes

So... will you please share how you did the tips of the tail surfaces?...

I actually used packaging foam from my Graupner Mz12. I cut out the right shape and thickness then glued it on the edge of the tail surface. After that I sanded it to shape. I'll get more closeup pics when I get home tonight

P1180234.jpg P1180235.jpg

Hopefully with paint they'll look even better :D

Last edited:

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Got the elevator hooked up using essentially the same method as the rudder.

20180812_142229.jpg 20180812_142247.jpg

I used another bellcrank, almost identical to the one for the rudder. It was placed one former aft of the rudder bellcrank to avoid interference.

20180812_142313.jpg

Both pushrods are routed through the formers by way of holes poked into the foam and reinforced with small lengths of coffee stirs.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Loving this build! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks! I'm enjoying the build too!

That being said, work on the plane has been slow, as I go back to school Thursday and have been trying to enjoy every last moment of nothingness that summer provides :p

I started skinning the fuselage, and made an access hatch for the rudder and elevator servos

P1180239.jpg

The fuselage skin is a simple one sheet thick covering with one side of paper removed to allow smooth curves. The main problem I am facing right now is the top of the skin. My plan is to use a strip of foamboard down the top of the formers after pitting on the main sections of fuselage skin. However, this makes a striking white line of uncovered down the side of the top, as seen in the hatch in the above pic. I think I'll use paper pulled from other pieces of WRFB to cover that line down the length of the fuselage.

P1180242.jpg P1180244.jpg

The servo hatch is built the same as the fuselage skin, and attached at the front with a small slot-and-tab arrangement cut from plastic bottle caps, and secured in the rear with two small sheets of magnet.

Thanks,
Sam