a confession

basslord1124

Master member
Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll do it here.

One thing about me and flying is I'm afraid to fly in front of others for fear of being joked about, people saying things, etc. I think the likehood of that is small with those that I am around but it's still a fear in the back of my mind. Hence why I mainly fly by myself. Plus I find flying by myself to be pretty peaceful. I am 40 years and having these feelings and thoughts.

Believe it or not, I think I am ok with crowds...I'd love to experience Flitefest (maybe next year?) but I'd probably be embarrassed to fly something of mine there...although I'd probably look for opportunities to still fly while no one is watching. Which would probably be near impossible at FF anyways.

This is part of the reason I just haven't flown at our RC field much which makes me feel kinda bad I haven't been more supportive of my club.

Not sure if anybody has experienced this or know someone like this.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

One thing about me and flying is I'm afraid to fly in front of others for fear of being joked about, people saying things, etc. I think the likehood of that is small with those that I am around but it's still a fear in the back of my mind. Hence why I mainly fly by myself. Plus I find flying by myself to be pretty peaceful. I am 40 years and having these feelings and thoughts.

Believe it or not, I think I am ok with crowds...I'd love to experience Flitefest (maybe next year?) but I'd probably be embarrassed to fly something of mine there...although I'd probably look for opportunities to still fly while no one is watching. Which would probably be near impossible at FF anyways.

This is part of the reason I just haven't flown at our RC field much which makes me feel kinda bad I haven't been more supportive of my club.

I haven’t experienced exactly that but I do usually hope that nobody was looking when I make even the smallest mistake. When I know that others are watching I feel more pressure to not mess up and embarrass myself too lol.
I doubt anybody would judge you or talk about you badly, especially other pilots. As a pilot myself, when I see a plane crash I just think “bummer, he’s gonna have to fix that plane now”. Even for the stupidest mistakes, I know that everybody makes them and I never think less of the pilot for it.
Try going to your club more often, maybe you will get used to other people watching, and it might be fun anyways.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I always feel more nervous and more pressure when flying in front of other people. When I’m by myself I feel more comfortable to push myself and try new things. However I do enjoy flying with others, especially when flying things that aren’t 3D planes. I do tend to push myself a lot and that results in more crashes than I would like, and it’s always embarrassing when a plane I’m piloting goes down in front of others, even if it isn’t my fault. I had quite an audience when my 101” yak crash-landed, which was a sad ending to one of my best flights ever on it. Having so many people there to see it was pretty embarrassing, but it also helped me cope with the sadness of the crash. I would have had a much tougher time if I had been alone when it happened.

Phin G

Elite member
I normally fly at a club on the moors and they are very supportive and they don’t care if we make mistakes because everyone does it, its human. If we crash we all go out to salvage the plane and then if it is reparable we then repair it.
If you are afraid of what people would say i would suggest talking to the head of the club in private either email or in person and tell him about what you are afraid of and ask him about it and ways to prevent that from happening. And like the hanger said, the people will support you for any mistake.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
You are not alone in your feelings. A lot of people feel this way. It is one reason many AMA sponsored clubs are dying. It is what makes Flite Test so different.

I fly alone. It is part of my morning routine - pick a few planes, go to the park and run through some batteries. I hope to attend a FliteFest in the future, because it is clear that the Flite Test community is NOT full of stuffy elitists - they actually experiment, have fun, and laugh when they themselves crash.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
You are not alone in your feelings. A lot of people feel this way. It is one reason many AMA sponsored clubs are dying. It is what makes Flite Test so different.

I fly alone. It is part of my morning routine - pick a few planes, go to the park and run through some batteries. I hope to attend a FliteFest in the future, because it is clear that the Flite Test community is NOT full of stuffy elitists - they actually experiment, have fun, and laugh when they themselves crash.
Totally agree

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been flying for 25+ years now. When I first learned to fly, we had a small club. They all of the guys either got old or moved away. I flew alone for 6-8 years. Then a new guy showed up, then another, now we have 8-10, a nice size club. I tell you this to say it’s way more fun to fly in a club than alone.

Over the years I’ve had some spectacular crashes, I’m fortunate to have shared them with people I can call friends.

You might consider just going to the club and hang around for a while until you get to know some of the members. Flying with friends is fun, flying with strangers can be intimidating.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
It's sad that some clubs are like that. I know there are guys in my club that are the "peanut gallery" when flying; I'm one of them, sometimes. But it's more good natured and we "harass" people that we know are good pilots. We DO try to help out pilots that we see are struggling. I've had a couple of times where I've tried to fly a plane and it's been tail heavy, and had one of the 3D guys jump in and help bring me down. I've had them come over and give me a hand in trimming out a plane, and I've even had pilots give me help when maidening a plane, which can be invaluable help. You may not know what can go wrong with a certain model, because you haven't ever built it before, or flown that style of plane, but belonging to a club, there might be someone who knows and can help you out with pointers.

I get that it's rough to stand out there and fly with a bunch of other people; that's part of the reason I fly the FT stuff. If I crash it, I can recover most, if not all of the electronics and then say, "Ok, great! That was what, $6 worth of foam? Let's build it again!" It's a weird attitude to take, but let me tell ya, it helps a lot to take that view. And flying with people can be a lot of fun, because you challenge each other. Something I do with a couple of the guys at the field is one wheel touch n' gos, where we bring our planes down on one wheel and keep it rolling on that one wheel for as long as we can before we have to take off again. If I hadn't seen someone do it, I wouldn't have known 1) it was even possible, and 2) I wouldn't have asked, "Hey, how do you do that???"

Flying with people can up your game for sure. I've discovered that just being a flight instructor one night a week; I jump in and help people fly, and that has upped my game IMMENSELY, because I realize I have to show them how to land smoothly, how to take off, how to keep the plane steady in 15-20 mph crosswinds, and of course, save the plane when they lose it or lose orientation of the plane.

While flying alone can be fun and rewarding, I think flying with other people around get you to deal with traffic, anticipating how other people might fly, and building confidence in your own flying skills. Take it as a challenge to better yourself, and if you crash while flying an FT model, look for the positives and remember - it's cheap to rebuild, and that can be just as fun as flying the planes!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The key to getting thru this is to make so many mistakes YOU no longer care and having done most of that in front of people that they EXPECT it so they no longer care. They'll just be Oh there goes bob again.. Maybe ask if you need help cleaning up the mess so THEY can go out and crash again hahaha

As for Flite fest that would be the perfect place to fly with others. Most of them are in the air the same time as you and are trying to do the exact same thing you are.. Not crash and draw attention to themselves. Unless its combat and they are trying to NOT get crashed into. or aiming at someone better skilled to get that boost of confidence. The trick is to not get singled out by Stefan as the target of the moment.

The rest of the people are new to Flite Fest and spend the ENTIRE time whipping their heads around going "Oh look at that" or "Wow THATS COOL!!" The build tent is the safe spot where all the bonding happens.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The key to getting thru this is to make so many mistakes YOU no longer care and having done most of that in front of people that they EXPECT it so they no longer care. They'll just be Oh there goes bob again.. Maybe ask if you need help cleaning up the mess so THEY can go out and crash again hahaha

As for Flite fest that would be the perfect place to fly with others. Most of them are in the air the same time as you and are trying to do the exact same thing you are.. Not crash and draw attention to themselves. Unless its combat and they are trying to NOT get crashed into. or aiming at someone better skilled to get that boost of confidence. The trick is to not get singled out by Stefan as the target of the moment.

The rest of the people are new to Flite Fest and spend the ENTIRE time whipping their heads around going "Oh look at that" or "Wow THATS COOL!!" The build tent is the safe spot where all the bonding happens.

And the thing to remember above all is that we've all been there. We've all crashed, and if we say we haven't it's either because we haven't been flying on our own yet or we're lying. :) When people ask if I've crashed, I ask, "Do you mean today? Not yet, but it's early," followed by a chuckle.

And I think the biggest thing when flying with others, especially in a club environment, is that you need to remember to fly with safety. That's what MOST of the rules in the clubs are about. Things like, "Don't fly over people. Don't fly over the pits where people are staging their planes. Don't taxi in the pits. Yell out that you're crossing the runway so that people don't try to do a touch n' go or low pass or land into you - and YELL it, because most guys who fly are older and don't hear all that well." I know these things sound like common sense, but common sense isn't exactly common nowadays.

We've also got some rules that guys question, but we have them for a good reason. For example, we have a rule of, "Don't fly west of the end of the runway." There are several reasons for this - 1) we have power lines that run at an angle, anywhere from 75-100 ft. past the end of the runway. If you're not careful, your plane will hit those lines (and the gas & electric company doesn't like it too much because it usually downs a line). 2) We have a major interstate freeway that is 150 feet past the end of the runway, down a hill. If we fly over the freeway and a highway patrol officer sees it, we get shut down and can no longer fly at the field anymore. That rule, while it may not seem like it makes much sense for where you fly, REALLY puts a damper on some guys flying there because they want to fly wherever, and however they want, and it affects everyone if we get shut down. There's also a rule that we let the new people to our field know - "Don't fly over the 'jungle'." It's not so much that it'll get you kicked out, but we tell everyone this because if your plane goes down in this area, recovering it is NASTY. Poison oak, stinging nettles, vines and brush, ticks that look like they're the size of wolf spiders, and rattlesnakes abound in the area.

I know a lot of guys don't like that structure because they want to fly wherever and do whatever they want - and then they bring down issues and hate on those of us that fly safely and are situationally aware. That's what happens, though - a couple of bad apples ruin the bunch, it seems.

Tench745

Master member
I too feel really self-conscious when flying around other people, and especially other pilots. I expect them to be judging everything I do, because I am judging everything I do, and judging everything they do. I tend to be a pretty analytical person so I'm looking for ways things go wrong or go right; it's something I can't turn off.
I have many conflicting fears:
-That someone is going to see me doing something they know won't end well and not say anything
-That someone is going to see me doing something they know won't end well, say something, and it still ends badly
-That someone will see an error and call me out as being an incompetent pilot
-That I fly too unpredictably/badly to be safe around other people and/or other planes in the air.

I can tell you from flying at FliteFest and the two times I've flown with other people locally, these fears are mostly unfounded. No one at FliteFest was critical of my projects or my flying; there is so much else going on there it doesn't happen. Or, didn't happen to me anyway.

I was a member of a flying club for one summer and I flew there a couple times. There were people around the first time I ever flew there, and the trees are closer in than the park I usually fly at. One of the guys made a comment that I should probably bring the plane in closer, so I did, no big deal. Flight ended when a servo stripped and my flying wing went into a high-speed pitch oscillation and split in half. Everyone seemed about as sad about the crash as I was.
Another time at the same club I was maidening my Cafe Racer Mk3, but this time no one was around. I planted it right into a tree. I was simultaneously glad no one was around to watch, and disappointed that someone who knew the field hadn't been there to warn me how far out I had gotten like before.

Flying with other people can be its own set of challenges, but it has its benefits too. Try it, the more you do it the more comfortable it will become. If you still prefer flying alone I don't think anyone here would fault you for it; we're all here to do what we love.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would encourage all who fly alone to go to a local club, if you have one & just sit and watch for a while. Then find a friendly face and ask your questions. Describe your problem to them, most likely they will be able to help. If they don’t know the answer, they likely know who to ask. You need to take the initiative and ask, nobody is able to read your mind.

Everyone of us was in your position at one time, we all had to learn to fly, nobody was born knowing how to fly. Someone was kind enough to teach me & I intend to pass this gift along to others, teaching as many to fly as I can. The forums are great but they are no substitute for face to face conversations.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would encourage all who fly alone to go to a local club, if you have one & just sit and watch for a while. Then find a friendly face and ask your questions. Describe your problem to them, most likely they will be able to help. If they don’t know the answer, they likely know who to ask. You need to take the initiative and ask, nobody is able to read your mind.

Everyone of us was in your position at one time, we all had to learn to fly, nobody was born knowing how to fly. Someone was kind enough to teach me & I intend to pass this gift along to others, teaching as many to fly as I can. The forums are great but they are no substitute for face to face conversations.

Until the sign on the gate says FTCA field I'm not even walking down the same street after all AMA has pulled during this whole NPRM new rules period. NOPE not happening after they threw multi rotor pilots under the bus and are STILL insanely segregated against them.

Bricks

Master member
I can fly all my smaller stuff here on the farm but bigger stuff I go to the field which is 32 miles one way. It is just a Hoot everybody gives everybody a hard time and throws jabs. Need help there is not a person there that would not give a hand if needed, from tuning an IC to finding CG`s to maidening a plane for you or help teaching someone to fly. Lose a plane and everybody is out helping to search for it. or helping pick up the pieces from sudden ground stops. If you fly at my club ribbing is just part of the atmosphere, all in good fun. Except for our treasurer dues not paid or AMA expired he will KICK your A-- off the field don`t matter even if your the club president.. :poop: :love: :love: :love:

GrizWiz

Elite member
Totally! I am the same. It is really hard for me to fly in front of strangers. I design many of my planes and rarely feel confident enough to test them. Part of this was my first design. I designed a mini cub and when I went to maiden it I forgot to check the CG. It was extremely tail have and nose dived in front of a bunch of people watching. My grandparents have a lot of land and a cabin so I go fly there when I need to test something! I think this pandemic has a lot to do with my nerves. Usually I am very social but have not been around people aside form my family in over a year. I need to join the local club but am not sure yet.
One thing I do now is always check my crap and glide test before flying. This helps me assure myself that it will fly and helps me get rid of some of my nerves!

basslord1124

Master member
Wow, wasn't really expecting this kind of response. Looks like some of us can relate to my situation on some level.

The club I fly at is truly a good group of guys...mostly older and some old fashioned, but they try not to bash on what you fly whether it's drones or planes. And they would help you in a heartbeat if ya needed it.

I only know of 1 time that a member made a sort of smart remark when I accidentally had high rates turned on on my FT Storch and was on the verge of losing control. I was able to recover however. He said something like, "I'd like to see you try that maneuver again". It annoyed me a little at the time, but I quickly got over it.

Despite the age gap between me and them, I have hardly any issues with them. I am used to some of the old fashioned talk and sometimes would rather talk to them than someone much younger. Although it'd be nice to have some youngins at the field. We do have a father/son team...not sure if the dad flies much, but holy smokes, his kid is phenomenal. Think he's like 11 years old and flies a lot of 3D stuff.

If I am there at the field when a bunch of them are there, I rarely fly. But I will sit around shoot the breeze with them. Been a member there for probably 3-4 years now. I will say Flitetest has gotten me over the crash fears we all face sometimes...crashes are part of it, I know that. I wouldn't say I'm a beginner...kinda in the middle.

I do know that very few at our field dabble with Flitetest. I am probably one of the only ones who does. Most members fly big balsa gassers/nitro or foamy electrics (Horizon Hobby, etc).

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Until the sign on the gate says FTCA field I'm not even walking down the same street after all AMA has pulled during this whole NPRM new rules period. NOPE not happening after they threw multi rotor pilots under the bus and are STILL insanely segregated against them.
I’m not a fan of the AMA either, just for the record, the club I belong to is non AMA. Your welcome to fly with us anytime.