a plane splits into 2 in flight; the 2 halves continue to fly

JPE

Hello and happy new year
We made two halves of a twin-engine plane at the Hasparren club (each half therefore includes a half fuselage, a half wing and its engine, a half stab). These two halves, right and left, are capable of flying on their own.
photo 2.jpg

a locking system allows the two halves to be joined together, which creates a normal aircraft, piloted by a single pilot;
20210102_160649.jpg

after unlocking in flight, each pilot takes control of his half of the plane

Video available on youtube here

if you are interested, we will of course share photos plans and tips.

thank you for watching

Hello and happy new year
We made two halves of a twin-engine plane at the Hasparren club (each half therefore includes a half fuselage, a half wing and its engine, a half stab). These two halves, right and left, are capable of flying on their own.
View attachment 187971

a locking system allows the two halves to be joined together, which creates a normal aircraft, piloted by a single pilot;
View attachment 187972

thank you for watching
You already won 2021! Now I've seen everything.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Hello and happy new year
View attachment 187971

View attachment 187972

thank you for watching

Brilliant! How difficult was it to coordinate two people flying one plane?

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Hello and happy new year
View attachment 187971

View attachment 187972

thank you for watching
I Have to make one or is it two.... hmm... Either way That's awesome! I wonder if it would be possible to have them redock in the air?

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Hello and happy new year
View attachment 187971

View attachment 187972

thank you for watching
Were would we be able to get the plans?

JPE

Brilliant! How difficult was it to coordinate two people flying one plane?
thank you Pieliker 96
there is no difficulty in piloting the planes in duo mode, because only one pilot takes control of both halves with what we call in french "cordon d'écolage
in mono mode, of course each piloot controls his own half
we'll soon make some more videos with more explainations (but in french only:(...)

Last edited:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
i haven't really made a plan, but drawn the project with sketchup; all the plane is built with 6 mm depron; of course i can send you the sketchup file, photos , and the programs i have created for the taranis qx7 radio we use
That would be great! Although I use spektrum so Ill have to come up with my own program.

JPE

That would be great! Although I use spektrum so Ill have to come up with my own program.
not sure that you can make it with spektrum, because in duo et mono mode, aileron and flap on each wing work differently: in the same way in duo mode, in opposite way in mono mode
in duo mode the master's's radio controls his own half, and the second half through the slave radio.
this is very easy with opentx radios, where all programs you can imagine are possible; spektrum radios are much more restrictive (i had one dx8 before i bought my taranis qx7)

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
not sure that you can make it with spektrum, because in duo et mono mode, aileron and flap on each wing work differently: in the same way in duo mode, in opposite way in mono mode
in duo mode the master's's radio controls his own half, and the second half through the slave radio.
this is very easy with opentx radios, where all programs you can imagine are possible; spektrum radios are much more restrictive (i had one dx8 before i bought my taranis qx7)
I have a few ideas on how to do it. I think that I'll be able to figure it out, if not it'll give me another excuse to buy a open tx radio!

Piotrsko

Master member
2 ea 2 axis sticks: left for left plane, right for right plane, throttle on another 2 channels, unlock could be landing gear. When separate, might need a buddy flying the left stick. I dunno, since my left hand isn't really functional.

JPE

2 ea 2 axis sticks: left for left plane, right for right plane, throttle on another 2 channels, unlock could be landing gear. When separate, might need a buddy flying the left stick. I dunno, since my left hand isn't really functional.
hi Piotrsko
seems to be a good idea, if both pilots are not too fat !!:). The rudder is not very useful, pretty sure that the things can fly without using it

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I hope that a new video will be on Youtube to explain how it works
okay this is cool and weird... imagine if there was a real plane like this.... then missile heading for it.. just before missile hits...creak... the plane splits in 2 and flies back to base... awesome
lol just fantasizing

JPE

okay this is cool and weird... imagine if there was a real plane like this.... then missile heading for it.. just before missile hits...creak... the plane splits in 2 and flies back to base... awesome
lol just fantasizing
imagine...
My dream is to find an EPP made DC3 model and convert it in two halves; if somebody knows where i can find it?

Bricks

Master member
This would be a hoot at demonstrations or fly ins along with the announcer doing his part could be very fun for the audience. Having the second pilot out of sight, acting like one pilot trying to control both halves.

JPE

hello,
here are the sketchup file oh the halves, and the .otx files for taranis qx7; the dhalf is the master plane, with the hook control;
if anybody wants it, i can post some picts too

Attachments

• HALF.zip
    321.4 KB · Views: 0