A pox on you Joker!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yep. House of Balsa. Pix are on the RC Groups for sale thread. HERE.

If I don't get more intelligent replies soon I may take everything down from RC Groups and put the items on Craigslist and or ebay. I'm holding off on posting anything else for sale for a while. I love buying. I hate, hate, hate selling!

Joe

Don't tell me you expect more intelligence from Craigslist?! :) Honestly, I've seen so many ads there that just make my head spin. "Airplane for sale paid $300 selling for $150 my loss is your gain" with no pictures or other information at all. Some people's kids...

Turbojoe

Elite member
Maybe I'm just impatient. When I want to buy I'm ready to buy. I want a paypal account to send funds to NOW! Never liked RC Groups for selling. Only for buying. I don't do "social" media so that is out. I'll wait to see how things go on the other two planes before I post anything more up for sale. Maybe local or ebay will be better. I don't HAVE to sell the stuff. I'd just like to have the extra room.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Don't tell me you expect more intelligence from Craigslist?! :) Honestly, I've seen so many ads there that just make my head spin. "Airplane for sale paid $300 selling for $150 my loss is your gain" with no pictures or other information at all. Some people's kids...

Yep, They all suck. Craigslist, Offer Up etc. I have a .38 and carry it loaded with hollow points for any local sale. (Legal in Arizona). I bought a guitar a few years back from a CL ad. We met in a Walgreen's parking lot and we were both armed!

What sucks most is that I have dozens of built planes and helicopters that I would gladly donate to a WORTHY local organization. I simply can't find one. Lots of people are ready to take them so they can flip them on ebay and put the money in their pockets though. :mad: The world unfortunately is mostly filled with scumbags.....

I'm in serious need of room. Gotta find a safe way to liquidate soon.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yup, I hate wasting people's time with kicking tires, which is part of the reason I like swap meets. I can look and answer my own questions, and there are no "deceptive" sales to worry about since I can inspect everything before buying.

You may want to reconsider the social media thing, as it really exposes you to a lot of potential buyers and sellers since there are groups dedicated to balsa, control line, etc. Heck, that Smoothie I got a few months ago that I thought was from Balsa USA turned out to be control-line (MY mistake, not the seller's) and I ended up selling it very quickly on a C/L forum on FaceBook. Just my opinion, it's worth the time.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
What sucks most is that I have dozens of built planes and helicopters that I would gladly donate to a WORTHY local organization. I simply can't find one. Lots of people are ready to take them so they can flip them on ebay and put the money in their pockets though. :mad: The world unfortunately is mostly filled with scumbags.....

That's a big reason why I normally don't negotiate when buying at a swap meet. Prices are generally good to start with and it doesn't feel right to me to do that considering many are flipped. If somebody asks for $40 for a kit I want, that's what they get. Buying and selling allows me to buy more RC toys for myself, so the money gets recirculated within the hobby. It's kind of interesting how relieved some sellers seem to "get rid" of kits. The guy I got the Balsa USA Laker from didn't have it priced, and when I saw it near the end of the meet he just said to make an offer so he wouldn't have to take it home, and my offer was accepted quickly.

Turbojoe

Elite member
You may want to reconsider the social media thing.

I had a massively HUGE 9 paragraph response to the "social" media thing but deleted it. I've worked on a college campus for over 7 years. That should give you a good idea of why I HATE so called "social" media! Not going to discuss it much further in this thread. It's safe to say you won't see me on Facebook any time soon.......

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Just got yet another offer for one of my RC Groups for sale posts. Got a good laugh and said no thanks. Time for bed now. Wonder what the e-mail in box will look like in the morning......

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I see you sold the Rascal. I've wanted one of them since they were released many years ago. It's such a beautiful plane. The only thing that kept me away was no ailerons. It obviously flies great as R.E.T. or it wouldn't be so popular. My stubbornness keeps costing me on this plane. I should have grabbed yours while I had the chance.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I see you sold the Rascal. I've wanted one of them since they were released many years ago. It's such a beautiful plane. The only thing that kept me away was no ailerons. It obviously flies great as R.E.T. or it wouldn't be so popular. My stubbornness keeps costing me on this plane. I should have grabbed yours while I had the chance.

Joe

I wish I'd have known you were interested, you'd have gotten the multi-purchase discount that I just made up. :) It really is a beautiful design, and part of me really wanted to keep it, but it's too small for my current obsession with large planes. They make a giant scale version now, but I'm not going to drop $800 or so on a kit!

So if you want to take advantage of that discount, I've still got a Balsa USA Bristol M-1 and *maybe* a Balsa USA Excalibur/Smoothie, although that one may be headed out as well now. :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
OMG!! Now I remember why I don't sell online. Rockyboy from here at Flite Test has been the only one so far that didn't make me want to shoot them! Thank you so much for being "normal" Jon!

Stupid questions, insane offers, saying I'll take it then being out of touch for 12+ hours while others are waiting to buy. I've got one right now that sent PayPal for the right amount but for something not even close to what I'm selling. Sounds like a PayPal "not as described" scam to me. If he doesn't resend payment for the exact item I'll stop any contact and sell it to one of the other two waiting to buy.

I've got more kits. More UMX planes and a bunch of micro helicopters to sell. I may have to think twice about RC Groups. I might even go to the dark side and use ebay.......If I didn't need the room I wouldn't sell anything. I can use the money too but that's not the motivation to sell.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Happy to represent 'sane' behavior :)

And do post here when you put some more kits up - I too have as weakness for building, especially the more unusual ones :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Happy to represent 'sane' behavior :)

And do post here when you put some more kits up - I too have as weakness for building, especially the more unusual ones :)

After what I've been through today I'll need to think about it for a bit before I post anything else for sale. Especially on RC Groups. I didn't realize shipping costs were so insane now and everybody wants you to eat the shipping. That's really making it hard to sell anything.

I'd say I need to buy something to make me feel better but the Kadet Senior kit just got here from Tower Hobbies. I'll have to wait a few days to buy something else.......

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Speaking of the Kadet Senior, I gave my dad the NIB kit I got at a swap meet a few months back and have been missing it since. Yesterday I hit an estate sale a few miles from work, in a fairly rural area. It was advertised as having a lot of RC planes. It did, and most were beat fairly hard, seized nitro motors, 72mhz gear, no foam, etc. in the sale was an Astro Hog, a 1/3 scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup, a discontinued Sig Liberty Sport biplane, some misc planes, and a Senior Kadet. I've got an Astro Hog, but wanted the Kadet, Pup, and Liberty Sport. However, their prices were insanely high. The Kadet was old, covering was shot, engine seized, etc and they priced it at retail for new. I left and went back to work disappointed. Instead of "working" I spent a few hours talking myself into going back. At the end of the day no RC gear had sold. No surprise at those prices. I talked to the lady handling the sale about their pricing. She is trying to maximize the profit for the estate and herself, understood, but that's pricing themselves out of the market. I showed her what I wanted and that I'd fill my Expedition if we could make a deal. A little haggling and we put together a package price for the Liberty Sport kit, the beat Kadet Senior, and a massive Sopwith Pup.

The Pup was a beast to get out of the basement and really filled the truck quickly. It needs a bit of work but might be flyabke this season if I don't care how it looks. It's also got a Quadra 50cc gasser with spring start, making it a great deal for the plane. Surely there are parts missing, I'll deal with that as they come up.

But I'm most happy to get the Kadet Senior back in my hangar, even though it's very rough right now.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Here are the estate sale purchases for my hangar. The Sig Kadet Senior looks good from far, but it's far from good. It'll need a complete stripping and re-covering. The tail surfaces are a bit loose, so maybe some re-building is in order. It may be converted to electric, as the nitro engine it came with is seized and I have no experience running them (and don't really want to learn). There are plenty of patches in the covering, she's led a rough life!

2.JPG

And now the big-boy, a Balsa USA Sopwith Pup, parked next to my wife's car. Hell, it's almost as big as her car! This too will need a lot of work, but most of the covering appears good enough for now so I may just try and patch it, start it, and fly it for a season or two. It isn't pretty on the ground, but should look good in the air.

3.JPG

I was hesitating on purchasing this plane until I noticed it had a Quadra 50 gasser with the spring start on it. Sold! Notice the balance weights buried in the cowl, a couple automotive brake pads! Also, this plane has a metal cowl, which is an upgrade from the stock kit.

4.JPG

The Sig Kadet Senior is a big plane, about 2" wingspan too short to qualify as "giant scale", but next to the Pup it looks like it should be powered by a rubber band engine! :)

5.JPG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
You have the best luck finding deals! Nice find! With all these bigger planes when are you going to start on the room addition. ;)

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Maybe a trailer...! Actually the big problem I've got now is that the big planes are too large for my current storage rack, so I need to build a new one since storing planes on the floor isn't always safe in case of basement flooding (always a possibility). I'd like to make a rack big enough to hold some big planes, although the new (old) 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup will probably have to be stored in the garage as it is just so dang big.