A radio-controlled aircraft that can fly in both directions, forwards and backwards.

CuervoRC

You know that for a plane to fly well it has to be perfectly balanced and the stabilizers have to be in place. Making a radio-controlled plane that flies in both directions, either with an motor on each side or with a reversible motor, seems to me to be the greatest challenge that can be done by an aircraft designer. Because making planes with funny shapes that fly is easy, you only need wings, horizontal and vertical stabilizer with the shape you want, and worse or better, but it will fly.
I have an idea of how it could be done, but maybe it doesn't work. Let's see who can do it first, at least fly for a minute in each direction and make two low passes.
I will create a YouTube list with all the videos of the people who try it.>
What do you think? Is it possible?
avion-kqcG-U213600642781lbE-575x323@Ideal.jpg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
it would require either active stabilization (and your NP right at your CG... and not sure if that would work)... or you would need something with variable wing geometry to allow you to change the aerodynamic characteristics.

CuervoRC

I'm trying with pure aerodynamics, with an electronic stabilizer it would be easier. That's capable of flying anything, look at drones.
Si far the my N1 prototype has failed miserably🤣 , I am now trying a totally different concept.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I'm trying with pure aerodynamics, with an electronic stabilizer it would be easier. That's capable of flying anything, look at drones.
Si far the my N1 prototype has failed miserably🤣 , I am now trying a totally different concept.
Well in that case you would definitely need variable wing geometry and possibly stabilizers that fold away when they are in front.

leaded50

Legendary member
well, its made many trisurface planes.... even canard front wing is a moving stabilizer.... Its should go, even if will be critical on the CG. But make transition forward/rearward in air....thats something ells... ;)

Scotto

Elite member
Mount the battery on a sliding carriage on the retracts channel to move the cg. That servo could also flip a switch for 2 of your motor wires? Or you could buy THIS. Check out those videos. It was cracking me up watching how easy they make it look.

Flyingshark

Master member
you sure that is a reversing ESC and not a variable pitch prop? The anouncer even talks about changing the pitch.
I think those are both options. For something FT-sized, a reversing ESC and reversible but fixed-pitch prop are probably best. They're definitely less mechanically complex. For something bigger a variable pitch prop is probably easier to fine-tune and more efficient.

Tench745

Master member
The aircraft in the video appears to have a reversible pitch prop. The shape of the cutouts in the spinner point towards that option.
Reversing ESCs are also a thing that the smaller 4D foamies use. I think at this size, there would be too much inertia to stop that prop and reverse direction.

CuervoRC

The easiest thing for hobbyists would be to use the reversible ESC, using a variable pitch seems more complex.
The transition would have to be a controlled stall and then an acceleration in the opposite direction. Seems difficult. 😀

CuervoRC

well, its made many trisurface planes.... even canard front wing is a moving stabilizer.... Its should go, even if will be critical on the CG. But make transition forward/rearward in air....thats something ells... ;)
Three surfaces was my first idea, planes with tandem wings support very exaggerated changes in the CG without affecting the flight, but I have tested with a scale model and it is not possible, it is always tail heavy, when flying in both directions. with a stabilizer board it might work but that's cheating.

leaded50

Legendary member
Three surfaces was my first idea, planes with tandem wings support very exaggerated changes in the CG without affecting the flight, but I have tested with a scale model and it is not possible, it is always tail heavy, when flying in both directions. with a stabilizer board it might work but that's cheating.
Tandems shouldnt need be tail-heavy, if taken CG consideration with wings at right places.

Phin G

Elite member
you sure that is a reversing ESC and not a variable pitch prop? The anouncer even talks about changing the pitch.
I thought you would have some switch that would reverse to polarity pf the motors but zoe fpv does upside own flying and if you do what she does in a fixed wing you could get the motor to spin the other way

leaded50

Legendary member
reverse ESC... most every ESC can be setup with reverse, or just use an RC car one. I think variabel pitch prop is the clue, since a standard prop will give significant less effect in reverse.
Another choice (to be more crazy ;)) is to use two motors, one in each end of plane, and use the one fit for wanted movement Forward - Reverse :)

L Edge

Master member
In light foamys, the way you do it is to use a hollow shaft motor and change the pitch of the blade by hooking it to a servo by a stiff wire. Then you set up your radio like a heli setup so the center of the servo is zero degrees blade angle and at 50 % throttle. So at a fixed RPM, 50 to 100 is forward pitch and 50 to zero is negative pitch. Weight is a big problem.

My problem was when I built mine the plastic parts of the pitch mechanism were always blowing apart due to the high G forces. In fact, I have an older version of Real Flight 6 that has a model you can practice with. If you fly helis inverted, it makes it a lot easier to learn.

Watch the whole video to see its capabilities.