A Show Idea. Program you ESC

Les1951

I have the Hobby King 60A YEP brushless controller and the YEP programming card I understand that ESC comes setup for helicopter use, I have looked online to find out how to program the ESC which I have found on you tube, the card is quite simple to program but the guide only describes how the video maker setup his ESC. The Hobby King program card has 2 pages of adjustable settings although the card is easy to adjust I can find no instructions in English to explain what each setting does or how is affects the plane or helicopter. This would be a great topic for a how to show I am quite certain that most of the programming cards out there have very similar settings, I am sure there would many pilots that would find this helpful.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One problem in regards of an episode for this is that there are so many ESCs with different programmings that it would be very specific.

The settings for your ESC are explained in its manual that you can find on the products page behind the "Files" tab:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/713379511X40054X52.pdf

On my PC it's displayed a little funny, but perhaps it'll help you understanding the options.

Les1951

Hi All
Thanks for your replies
mikemacwille I have reprogrammed my ESC for the third time now and it seems to be ok but I have only guest really between some of the settings that have more than one possibility, my first attempt left the motor running but didn't really pickup speed when I moved the stick, the second attempt I had no motor at all my last attempt seems to be right the motor reacts to the stick as I expect, it does stop quite sharply would this be best or should it stop more gracefully, it is this kind of setting that my inexperience shows, I suppose what I am looking for is a the best general setting for use with a plane if that makes sense any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Baku thanks for the link, I did look in the file tabs for several of the YEP ESC on the Hobby King site but they were either empty or the files were in another language I can't have looked properly. As for making a show I was more thinking of a guide to explain what the settings of an ESC meant in relation to how they affect a plane or heli, things like timing, brake. gov etc are these type of setting not general of any adjustable ESC, sorry if I have this wrong.
Thanks again for your replies.
My old Dad always said If you don't know and you don't ask you still won't know

mikemacwillie

Timing is motor specific, and the optimum value is dependent on pole count. In general, the more timing advance you have, the more power, but the less efficiency. Higher timing advance can also help with sync issues (Motor screeches, and doesn't spin properly). A good starting point for a ~14 pole motor is somewhere in the 20 degree range. Fewer poles should be set lower, and more poles higher. You can figure out the pole count of your motor by counting the magnets in the bell. Brake you can usually leave off, unless you're building a glider with a folding prop, and want it to stop spinning when not under power so it can fold back. Governor is usually heli specific, meaning it will try to maintain a fixed RPM value regardless of load. For your plane, you can leave this turned off as well.

Les1951

mikemacwille thank you for the settings information I have looked at the Spec for my motor which is a NTM Prop Drive Series 2836 1200kv
Kv: 1200rpm/v Poles: 6 so the timing would be quite low would the auto setting be the safest bet.
This is the type of general information about a particular setting that was what I was meaning when I suggested a show about programing the ESC, the information you have given in your reply would I assume be relevant to any ESC with a like setting.
If basic start point settings along with other general information about any setting found on programmable ESC's were available as a topic on Flite Test it would be a real help to any one that needed a general starting point, any more specific help or information could be posted on the forum where helpful people like yourself could advise.
Thanks again
Les

Last edited:

Galand

Cannot get it to default to 3S

Somehow the light on the program card always comes back up as 4S. I can move it to the right but it does not go to a "no light" position which I need for 3S. Even with that 4S setting it rins on 3S but I think the cut-off voltages will be wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Cool Tormenter

YEP 60 ESC - What about 3S setup?

Somehow the light on the program card always comes back up as 4S. I can move it to the right but it does not go to a "no light" position which I need for 3S. Even with that 4S setting it rins on 3S but I think the cut-off voltages will be wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, did you every recieve a reply to this good question?

Bricks

Master member
Most ESC`s will automatically detect voltage, I have a few planes that I a couple of planes I fly 3S and 4S ESC automatically changes to the correct voltage. When plugging in your ESC listen for the number of beeps it will coincide with the number of cells.

Unless you need something special from the ESC I never run the program just plug it in run thru the throttle calibration.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Why exactly is throttle calibration needed? Wouldn't all radios output between 1000 and 2000 through the full stick range? I always do calibrate because "you are supposed to." But knowing more is always good.

Thanks,

Mike

Cool Tormenter

My YEP 60 has arrived with no instructions!!
It has 3 x yellow wires for the motor, how do i know where to connect each of the wires please as there all the same colour with no ident!? Cheers

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you bought it from HobbyKing (heck, even if you didn't) the manual is usually online in their "Files" tab. I see a bunch of files for the YEP 60A ESC product page and the first one looks like the manual:

https://hobbyking.com/media/file/713379511X40054X52.pdf

In general, you plug in all three wires on a brushless ESC into a brushless motor. If the motor direction is incorrect, you swap two of the wires to change the sequence of motor phases getting power which will reverse the direction.

Cool Tormenter

This was the 1st place i looked. Unfortunately its not the correct manual for this ESC and doesn't mention anything about connections.
I would understand your guidance if there were 2 wires, but there are 3! whats the 3rd do?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
This was the 1st place i looked. Unfortunately its not the correct manual for this ESC and doesn't mention anything about connections.
I would understand your guidance if there were 2 wires, but there are 3! whats the 3rd do?

I think this video will help explain better than words.

Watch the whole video, but the specifics about ESC and motor connections starts at about 1:40. This other video (and the whole series) is great if you're just starting in the hobby. Oh, and welcome to the FT Forums and this great hobby!

Last edited:

Cool Tormenter

Excellent, thanks for the tips and videos, perfect. That chap is excellent at explaining stuff and so easy to follow.
Much appreciated.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Excellent, thanks for the tips and videos, perfect. That chap is excellent at explaining stuff and so easy to follow.
Much appreciated.

Agreed! That's why we're here after all, eh? Glad these helped you as much as they helped me. The beginner series was what I stumbled upon in searching for "center of gravity" and "checking control surfaces" when I was starting out.