An idea to generate general interest in the hobby, specifically to interest women in the hobby

Ok I get the point! I was teetering on the edge of mysogeny (was that the point? Or are the lot of you saying you don't necessarily WANT a lot of women at the field? Not 100%clear...) I'm not suggesting getting anyone plastered before flying either,just thought there might be a way one need not live as a monk to fly airplanes,but it seems migtow has already got hold of the organization.ill simply resign myself to live a quiet life of celibacy if that is the price of indulging my hobby. Forgive me for attempting to upset the delicate balance at the airfield,but I still maintain,man or woman, anyone open minded enough to try the hobby will get as addicted as the lot of us.back to the drawing board.
Wow. At the risk of sounding too serious: Every one of us here is a geek. Geeks of all sorts. Geeks who are also the Disco King. Geeks who also live a life of excitement and suspense and international espionage. (My middle name is Danger. ;)) Do things you love. Work to find peace in your life and with yourself. You'll naturally attract people who support your cause. Just sayin. It's as much advice for myself as for you or anyone else.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ok I get the point! I was teetering on the edge of mysogeny (was that the point? Or are the lot of you saying you don't necessarily WANT a lot of women at the field? Not 100%clear...) I'm not suggesting getting anyone plastered before flying either,just thought there might be a way one need not live as a monk to fly airplanes,but it seems migtow has already got hold of the organization.ill simply resign myself to live a quiet life of celibacy if that is the price of indulging my hobby. Forgive me for attempting to upset the delicate balance at the airfield,but I still maintain,man or woman, anyone open minded enough to try the hobby will get as addicted as the lot of us.back to the drawing board.

I just asked my wife what would get her interested. Her only idea was if Bruce Springsteen was one of the pilots at the field. As I guessed, she would be more interested in going to the field if there were more animals there that she could pet. She just doesn't have any interest in flying. It's just not her thing. I'm with you. I would like a better mix at the field. It is not the attitude of people at the field, it's interest (or lack thereof) in the subject matter.

LB

jolfstn74

What about more competitions? NASCAR is extremely popular with women,if you think an .049 engine makes an irritating noise, a 300hp 3.58 liter engine should be intolerable! Open AMA fields to racing more often,bring in wagering via the sports book, corporate sponsorship, steroids (injecting the thumbs I guess?) That will equalize the gender at the fields!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
hahahaha...

I don't see anyone here saying they don't want more people at the fields, just making observations about what people are interested vs not interested in doing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What about more competitions? NASCAR is extremely popular with women,if you think an .049 engine makes an irritating noise, a 300hp 3.58 liter engine should be intolerable! Open AMA fields to racing more often,bring in wagering via the sports book, corporate sponsorship, steroids (injecting the thumbs I guess?) That will equalize the gender at the fields!

Our tiny motors dont give enough compression to feel in the chest, shake your bones and vibrate the entire field. As for corporate sponsorship's.. We have enough big corporations trying to take over or destroy the hobby already.

Tench745

Master member
I can't speak for everyone, so I won't try to. My wife is a very supportive and understanding person. She not only tolerates my incessant airplane chatter, but will put down what she's doing to listen. I do the same when she tells me a story or a pet peeve, etc.
What she typically won't do is come along when I fly. I built her an FT Speedster to learn to fly on. We've named it Lilah. I think we did two lessons before she gave up. She did great flying away from herself but got disoriented when flying any other direction. The crashes were non-events that just needed a little hot glue to fix, but she got discouraged and was not interested enough in the activity to pursue it beyond those initial hurdles. We still go to all kinds of airplane museums and airshows (her favorite plane is the B-52) but airplanes just don't excite her like they excite me. And that's okay.

As for liking people more than things... I don't know about that. We're both introverts and not great around people. It's the things that draw us in. We like to look at cars and trains, doll-houses, miniatures, artists at work, motorcycles and planes. People who support those interests, who genuinely are interested in furthering your own curiosity without pressuring you, they make the experience great. People who don't can turn you off of it forever, especially if there's only a passing interest in the first place.

What can I to do to get my wife to like flying RC? Nothing. She's experienced it, she knows what it is and that I love it. I can only make it as inviting for her (or anyone) as possible and let her choose when and if she will take another flight. And I always offer to have her along, because sometimes all it takes is the right invitation at the right time.

Would my wife like a build night party? Maybe. We generally don't like parties, but having a bunch of people around who don't know what they're doing makes the fear of failure just a little less.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most of the comments here are trending on comic relief side of things but seriously woman just dont normally flock to mechanical things. Its just the old school gender separation holding it all back. Woman can and do do anything they want these days its just not many have the patience of the male banging his head on a brick wall to slog thru the early set backs inherent with the hobby. Add to that all the media hype "Ohhh nooooozzz drones are teh ebbil" they simply are not attracted.

On the plus side things like STEM in schools are introducing the world of flight to kids much younger then just letting them passively find it and there is a HUGE jump in girls participating and actively becoming long term members in the hobby. Specially on the multi rotor side from the interest in mathematics and engineering.

Most of the comments here are trending on comic relief side of things but seriously woman just dont normally flock to mechanical things. Its just the old school gender separation holding it all back. Woman can and do do anything they want these days its just not many have the patience of the male banging his head on a brick wall to slog thru the early set backs inherent with the hobby. Add to that all the media hype "Ohhh nooooozzz drones are teh ebbil" they simply are not attracted.

On the plus side things like STEM in schools are introducing the world of flight to kids much younger then just letting them passively find it and there is a HUGE jump in girls participating and actively becoming long term members in the hobby. Specially on the multi rotor side from the interest in mathematics and engineering.
Good. But as I said, in study after study - studies done by LIBERALS who think it's all about "nurture" - they find that in the most "gender neutral" societies, those with the most equality and freedom to choose any focus and direction you want, they get LOWER percentages of women choosing STEM fields. The liberals are completely shocked. They were trying to prove something and the facts prove the opposite. It isn't about "old school gender separation" at all, not one bit.

One of the best things you can hope for is a relationship that's loving and supportive. I know. While you could care less what Robbie said to Karen in the lunch hall and that Suzie keeps wearing the same barrettes in her hair as your daughter, you still listen intently to her every word because you really do care about the difficulties your daughter's having in her world. Your wife or girlfriend can be the same with you, and you with her. She doesn't have to like planes.

leaded50

Legendary member
someone observed what majority of womans have done at eg FT flymeetings? (where many peoplemeets) Do they fly, build, or just chit chat with each other...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good. But as I said, in study after study - studies done by LIBERALS who think it's all about "nurture" - they find that in the most "gender neutral" societies, those with the most equality and freedom to choose any focus and direction you want, they get LOWER percentages of women choosing STEM fields. The liberals are completely shocked. They were trying to prove something and the facts prove the opposite. It isn't about "old school gender separation" at all, not one bit.

One of the best things you can hope for is a relationship that's loving and supportive. I know. While you could care less what Robbie said to Karen in the lunch hall and that Suzie keeps wearing the same barrettes in her hair as your daughter, you still listen intently to her every word because you really do care about the difficulties your daughter's having in her world. Your wife or girlfriend can be the same with you, and you with her. She doesn't have to like planes.

Holy left field Batman.... where did all that come from... No one in this entire thread brought up politics, government studies, or relation ships.

How does any of all that pertain to my statement in particular?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Holy left field Batman.... where did all that come from... No one in this entire thread brought up politics, government studies, or relation ships.

Yeah, when somebody makes grandiose left field statements without any links to back them up, you gotta believe someone is on the "because I said so train" rather than using science and reality....

>Sigh<

Keep the politics off the board. This is NOT the place for it.

LB

The first paragraph reiterates what I shared here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...interest-women-in-the-hobby.64529/post-591970
and also is a counterargument to thoughts of STEM programs getting more females interested in this sort of thing.
The briefest of searches (the first page I clicked on) shows this:
https://www.builtbyme.com/statistic...er, STEM jobs are still,opposed to 72% of men.
Her only mistake is that she thinks the percentage of females in STEM decreasing is somehow a problem.

The second paragraph responds directly to jolfstn74's frustrations, feeling like he lives like a monk, speaking of celibacy and mgtow and misogyny, and serves as an answer to "How can I get my wife interested in RC flight?" The answer is you can't. But in the best relationships she shows interest because she's interested in supporting you in YOUR happiness.

Yeah, when somebody makes grandiose left field statements without any links to back them up, you gotta believe someone is on the "because I said so train" rather than using science and reality....

>Sigh<

Keep the politics off the board. This is NOT the place for it.

LB
Hmm. Read my last post.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok I can see where the first part came from...... But using a random obscure web page NO ONE knows about without that reference link emphasizes that holy left field batman statement. Using Jolfstn74 previous statement about the family part should be directed to his statement. It STILL all has nothing to do with anything I said other then the fact there are more girls involved (at least in my country) in various STEM based activities.

AS for that obscure random study any study these days holds pretty much no water when facts are concerned. They ALL manipulate data to their end goals. Im sure if I was financed properly I could produce factual evidence on paper that shows a wet fart to be more pleasant then strawberry short cake. Specially if I used governmental rules for the use and out come of said study.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
someone observed what majority of womans have done at eg FT flymeetings? (where many peoplemeets) Do they fly, build, or just chit chat with each other...

When I was working the build tents at FFO 17 and 18 there were plenty of mothers in the build tents working with their kids both boys and girls building all types of things. FFo 18 had a higher number of woman and girls in the tents and from what I saw in the FT video that just came out about FFO's past there was even more yet in FFO 19 I was unable to attend. I am not sure about the actual flying being under the tents away from the flight line but they were all actively participating in some form or other.

The Mesa RC / STEM program out in Arizona consistently has a high number of girls in their stem programs kickin butt and keepin up with or out doing the boys in some areas.

Tench745

Master member
I think this restates the point I was trying to make pretty well. My wife loves me, we have some interests in common and some that aren’t. She doesn’t have to like flying model planes just because I do. If she wants to try again she can fly Lilah and if she doesn’t i can fly Lilah. :D

jolfstn74

so instead of trying to interest women in the hobby (the few I've invited looked at me the same as my ex who said "It's me or the damn planes"(I do miss her sometimes) and occasionally ask my age (45) and why I'm still playing with toys (because I can) so there's no way to socialize with women while flying, it's too bad, there's only so many hours in the day and it would be convenient to get to know someone by teaching them to fly (or having them teach me) and yes there are notable exceptions, but RC girl on youtube is too young and adorable and if she isn't already taken its because she is selective and that rules me out, Abby sailor is already married and Amelia Earhart would be 124 if she were alive and the other six or so don't live nearby so that is that.