An idea to generate general interest in the hobby, specifically to interest women in the hobby

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@jolfstn74 Ok now Im confused...are you looking to get more woman into the hobby or find one to date that enjoys the hobby? One post you have a wife and this one an ex wife and you discuss selections for a new woman. (just pokin fun at ya mate)

Im down any way it works out to have more woman in our hobby. That means more people to play with and they tend to smell better then a buncha sweaty bros hangin out on a hot summer day at the field.:LOL:

jolfstn74

yes, all of the above. besides, the best wife is an ex wife! know why divorce is so expensive? because it's WORTH IT! Did I imply i was still married? ill remove my tongue. though that won't help here. I'll remove my fingers. then I can't fly. live with it! I have been asking the women I know how they feel about the hobby, and what could be altered or emphasized to pique their interest, and the whole "playing with toys" thing is hard to get around, because ultimately, it's mostly true! They are fussy, noisy little things that never do what you want... wait, do I mean women or planes? Some said FPV with goggles and especially head tracking would be less unfavorably viewed, and my "Paint night" idea went over with some. adding competitions, gambling, racing, dogfights, something to increase vested interest and possible windfall outcomes were mostly favorably responded to. Not that I know all that many women, and some are just against participation for themselves under any circumstance, but some of those would watch if they could gamble. It's been majority men I've noticed since I was a kid and probably always will be, with notable exceptions.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have a Lady who likes me (for some reason.) who has always enjoyed Flying, aircraft. She worked for one of the airlines and did things from customer service, to assisting with the ground prep on the tarmac. of the last few years I have learned this. I do not share the same priority set as she does. (hers is get EVERYTHING done and straight BEFORE having fun, and hobby should not exceed a table in house space.

That said I learned the Hard way. If I build a plane for her, and I have priorities straight and time... She is happy to learn to fly. And she has truly enjoyed the experience.

Her plain is Pink with Checkers... and I know She prefers Airliner and Small commercial Jet craft... (which I have few of). but it's a start! I think the Best solution it for those people interested in Aircraft, to have a plane ready and easy to Buddy Box.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
so instead of trying to interest women in the hobby (the few I've invited looked at me the same as my ex who said "It's me or the damn planes"(I do miss her sometimes) and occasionally ask my age (45) and why I'm still playing with toys (because I can) so there's no way to socialize with women while flying, it's too bad, there's only so many hours in the day and it would be convenient to get to know someone by teaching them to fly (or having them teach me) and yes there are notable exceptions, but RC girl on youtube is too young and adorable and if she isn't already taken its because she is selective and that rules me out, Abby sailor is already married and Amelia Earhart would be 124 if she were alive and the other six or so don't live nearby so that is that.
Kinda thinking back to one of my previous lives where I was into racing. Would go to Malibu Grand Prix and spend my whole paycheck in one night. Then got into AutoCross. Nobody I was going out with would ever go along. My now wife did go along after I had been into it for 13+ years, and I let her drive my car at one of the events.... HOOKED! But... she didn't like the amount of time spent on prep and maintenance. Eventually we got a 4 wheeler because her Mom's family was really into them, and we spent a lot of time riding trails in the forrests of SE ohio and central WV. (till she started having back issues). So now (current life) we do what we enjoy together, and we independently do the things we like for ourselves. As I've mentioned before, the only reason she goes to the field with me is to see the horse that lives there.
For me, finding someone with similar core beliefs and some common interests, but still having space to do our own things has worked well.

Cheers!
LitterBug

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I joke that "Friends recommended I find a hobby in order to meet women. I took up the RC hobby. It didn't help." initially, I get blank stares, then I get laughs... I have had other hobbies from running, hiking, cycling, swimming, triathlon, sailing, and even computers and gaming where I did meet women. It's just all about how broadly popular the hobby is. I see more women interested in aerial photography vs just building and flying RC aircraft.

Here's an example photo with friends spent on a weekend away many years ago. The woman with the FPV box goggles wouldn't be interested in flying the race quad that was controlled by my other friend who's seated, but enjoyed viewing it from my goggles. Oh, and that's her now husband standing and watching with the wine glass in his hands :D

fpvstart.jpg