Another New Guy

tccanoe

I've gotten hooked on your/our YouTube videos. Well done and fun. But (ain't there always one of those?) I'm new to this world and I don't understand a lot of the acronyms and lingo. How about an easily accessible glossary of terms and abbreviations. Something along the lines of "FliteTest for Dummies." You guys never talk down to anyone and that's the reason I feel comfortable asking.
Now where is that beautiful river featured in the DJI Inspire 1 demo? Might want to take a trip there myself.
Tanks,
Tccanoe

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Okay Here goes, be prepared for amazingness.
ABBREVIATIONS/ACRONYMS AND MEANINGS
ESC-electronic speed control
BEC-battery eleiminator circuit, used for gliders and gas, usually built into ESC for motored aircraft
FPV- firstt person view
LOS-line of sight
DTFB-dollar tree foam board
FC-flight controller (multirotors usually)
KV-kilovolts (complicated, means turns faster with more, 1000 turns per volt)
TX-transmitter
RX-reciever
RTF-ready to fly
BNF/TX-R - bind n fly/transmitter ready
PNF/RX-R - plug and fly/ reciever ready (ESC, reciever, battery)
ARF-almost ready to fly (various electronics)
DLG-discus launch glider
AUW-all up weight
LVC-low voltage cutoff
EDF-electric ducted fan (thanks Kurt0326)
prop-propeller
ail-aileron
rud-rudder
ele-elevator

a few I missed, but this should help

COMMON TERMS
elevon-combination of elevator and aileron on two control surfaces
control surfaces-the things that move up and down on wings and tail
servo-what makes them move
control rod/arm-links servo to control surface
control horn-connects control rod to control surface
linkage stopper- not always used, connects rod to horn and/or servo

Let us know of anything I missed

Last edited:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Um,

Prop saver- prop-saver.jpg
EDF- electric ducted fan
Spinner- nose.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
if you look at any of Wilsonman's posts/threads, WBPU means water based poly-urethane. It took me FOREVER to figure that out.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm fairly sure it is in the United States of America. :cool:

Probably somewhere in or around of Ohio.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It's actually somewhere between Ohio and Georgia . . . I know, really narrowing it down ;)

With the green vegitation and lack of white ground cover, I'd lean closer toward Georgia. From their Schedule that day I'd say likely somewhere in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountians, probably near the northern boarder between Georgia and South Carolina.

Lots of nice rocky rivers and waterfalls up there . . . but I don't recognize the bridge.

RichB

KV is not kilovolts.

The k is a constant, multiplied by voltage, which gives you RPM.

So, the formula for RPM on a brushless is RPM = kV, where V is the voltage, and k is what we typically call "the kV rating"

When a motor is called 1200kv, what we really mean is k=1200 in the above formula.

But, "1200kv motor" rolls off the tongue a little easier than "k=1200 motor"

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
1000 rotations per volt, not 1000 volts, I should have been more clear.
For example 5 volt on a 1000kV motor equals 5000 rotations in a perfect world.
This is why a 6s and 500kv motor is more effecient than a 3s on a 1000kv

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Such a simple question but no simple answers. There are just too many acronyms and abbreviations. Most you will learn as you need to.
Here is a long list from Futaba that you can reference http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/glossary.html

Here's another one. (at least he has elevons and lipo described, futaba didn't) http://help.rcdiscuss.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/11/0/glossary-terms-and-definitions

FliteTest has done some modification to their videos by adding what I would call chapters and they also throw up a page of specs. It might be possible for them to add some text overlays that show the definition of the terms they use in each video in the future.

Last edited:

Ace2317

I'll second Kurt on the Beginner Series. You won't fully understand everything having watched them all once, but you will definitely have a better idea. I still go back and watch these, especially the power setup one.