"Anti-Drone" technology deployed for 2015 BAA/Boston Marathon

abieex

Mentor
Really not surprised by this at all. I assume many large events will adopt this same policy or risk suit if anything does happen and they failed to prepare. Truly a sad period in the history of our world/country!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
"Overall, marathon security is going to be low-key and people shouldn't be intimidated, he said."

Bahahaha! Yeah...as usual politicians lips are moving, therefore they are lying.

I know it's bad, but I really can't wait to see how this so-called "anti-drone" technology will be defeated. And we may rest assured that it will eventually be defeated.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Sorry, but why is this needed? Has anyone (apart from the US military and other such organizations) ever carried out an act of war using a quad/plane to justify this?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
As I see it, these big public events are also training and testing opportunities for security people... considering the up to 35mph winds and rain today, it's not a good day to fly any sort of drone / model aircraft. It's actually interesting how the Boston media have been reporting this by saying both "drones or model aircraft" which in some ways is a little more enlightened.

Anyway, living in Boston in the week leading up to the Marathon, I've seen more blackhawk and C130 aircraft flying over the Boston skyline than during the July 4th holiday or big sporting events. Definitely a heavy security presence and much of it appears to me to be training opporunities.

My guess is we'll see more and more of this.

FAI-F1D/Joshua, yeah, a big ol' lie from the security people about the security being low-key. Last year, I saw tactical police surround a fellow in a trenchcoat pulling a suitcase behind him at the 16 mile point (not even all that close to the finish). Given the security concerns, he was silly to be trying to test them that way by being so overly overt. Nevertheless, the Bostion Police commissioner was speaking out the corner of his mouth with that statement. In the past, you could cross the streets as a pedestrian, but not anymore.

LooseBruce

Maybe we could help

I don't know that there is a way the modeling community can help in a situation like this. On the other hand I don't know it all. Perhaps there is a way. I know HAM operators used to help with community events. If there is some way FPV pilots or whatever could help well that would be.... helpful for everyone.
LooseBruce

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
ham operators still do help, with big events like the Boston Marathon. Even with mobile phones, the race organizers ask the area ham operators for voluntees and my ham club (BARC) is usually a big participant. Lots of volunteers from all parts of the community. That's a great idea. I'm not sure how the modelling community can really help other than provide a sort of consulting and educational sort of aid.

In the past, one way people tracked the head of the race was by watching where the helicopters were overhead. It seems they are getting away from aerial coverage and using more ground motor based footage.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I wonder what's more illegal. Flying a quadcopter or jamming the 2.4ghz frequency. (Assuming that's what they are doing.)

Didn't the military pretty much completely shut down Boston after the bombing when searching for the suspects. Which is even scarier of a prospect. Civil liberties being taken away for the sake of "security".

Anyways. Non of this surprises me in this post-9/11 world.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Not the military, because that would be illegal and require martial law. It was the local and federal police that shutdown Boston and surrounding areas. Considering they ended up in Watertown which was nearby, it was a bunch of local police authorities. It recently came out that the political leaders were against the shutdown, but the security forces prevailed. The mayor of Boston was against a shutdown, but the police got their way. In some ways, it was only possible because of technology. I got robocalls and text messages at 5am with an alert to "remain sheltered in place"

As for the legality of jamming the 2.4GHz band, if that was what they would do, I suspect it is against FCC regulations if it exceeded a certain power level, but I suspect these are not more powerful than say a Wifi repeater or an outdoor wifi router. I suspect they might have directional antennas since it sounds like they are manned/crewed systems. Not sure without more details that they haven't released.

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I'd be curious to know if WiFi signals are going to be flooded/jammed too. There are WiFi receivers out there but I see a conflict in them scrambling WiFi for any vendors/spectators there. Then again, they may just claim it's the price to be paid.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Amazing how one thing can lead to another, and that can mess up a bunch of other things, which in turn repeats the cycle. I understand the extra security, but potentially jamming 2.4, now that is illegal above said power. And more so, if it is 2.4, say goodbye to wifi. What else could it be, drone seeking lasers manned by police, hmm...

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
http://www.droneshield.org/products/

Call us at 1-844-8SHIELD

DroneShield warns installations to the presence of drones through an enterprise-grade sensor network and alerting architecture that integrates easily with existing security systems and accelerates the apprehension and prosecution of violators through real-time warning and digital evidence collection.

How It Works

Our patent-pending acoustic detection technology results in high detection rates with low false alarms and is able to detect drones without RF links (IE on auto-pilot) or that are invisible to radar (most small, plastic drones are). Each DroneShield contains a database of common drone acoustic signatures so false alarms are reduced (IE ignores lawn mowers and leaf blowers) and in many cases the type of drone is also included in the alert.
Picture2

Alerts can be issued a variety of ways including email and SMS, integration with existing alarm systems through XML, JSON, and dry contact relays, and monitoring with our browser-based interface. Read about our browser-based interface here.Picture2
Services

We design, install, and maintain systems of sensors that are integrated into enterprise security systems to provide complete coverage of facilities, campuses, and temporary events.

Design, installation, and configuration. We come to your location to perform a site survey, install the hardware, integrate into alerting systems, and perform demonstrations for acceptance tests.
Maintenance and database updates. We provide annual services to maintain hardware and update databases with latest drone models.
Red-teaming/penetration testing. We perform demonstrations to test our installations, and can also test or demonstrate the effectiveness of other approaches, including the limitations of human detection.

ds1-small - Copy (2)prison2

Countermeasures

We can provide recommendations for a variety of countermeasures against drones, including:

Anti-photography devices,
WIFI and other RF intrusion detectors,
Personnel protection tools, and
Legal/law enforcement partnering introductions.

SnowRocker88

WHO IS THIS PARANOID?

Is it just me or does this sound like a bunch of paranoid idiots?

I mean, I'll even ponder on conspiracy theories myself. But you're talking about A LOT of money being spent here. Why? Because "they could be watching me change clothes!".

My confidence in the future of the nation grows weaker and weaker.

RAM

WHO IS THIS PARANOID?

Is it just me or does this sound like a bunch of paranoid idiots?

I mean, I'll even ponder on conspiracy theories myself. But you're talking about A LOT of money being spent here. Why? Because "they could be watching me change clothes!".

My confidence in the future of the nation grows weaker and weaker.

My guess is that Boston does not want consumers "drones" to interfere with their own security drones during the race. That seems reasonable, similar to not wanting news choppers too close to police choppers. The paranoid part is something else, i.e. good for people who want to make money. Make people scared of drones then sell them a solution. Or, make people scared of (insert topic) and hold their attention long enough to sell advertising on your news channel.

SnowRocker88

Boston does not want consumers "drones" to interfere with their own security drones during the race.

hqdefault.jpg

Haha, I couldn't resist!!

this makes me mad. especially that they are making paranoid people pay out of fear. I mean, with the quality of out cameras, we're lucky if we can make where the eyes on a face are- from 5 feet away! This is probably the worst thing, and the photos they use are just pathetic and staged. this one is clearly photo-shopped: prison2.jpg that's clearly not a gun silhouette from a movie poster... and how about that conveniently white background? how about the fact that the thing isn't even holding something that can drop that sort of thing, almost with the payload of a fully loaded pistol? even if it was real, they HAD to have staged that, you cant get a picture like that out of the blue. um... no thanks. I vote we all just abandon the political stuff and live in bliss of this irritating power-grab crap. Now this company want you to pay for them to install glorified microphones and cameras all over your house- that send this info directly to their database- they charge you money to give them access to almost every conversation you had on your deck or patio, or around the fire, as well as capture those interesting videos of your yard and neighbor's yard.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Just sad, just sad. The thing that scares me is when people do buy this stuff because of how drones are now being seen. So sad. I am speechless, literally no words to describe this.

RAM

I think a Boston Drone Marathon would be fun. Bring a positive light to the hobby.

On second thought...

rcspaceflight

It's still funny to me how many people have issues with "drones" but don't have an issue with spy satellites. At least you can easily figure out if the drone is around. (Not that a spy satellite would have any reason to be watching you, but most people with a drone don't have a reason either.)

I find Google Earth creepier than "drones". And remember, Google Earth is censored to a lower resolution that the original pictures. And that's an old satellite.

rcspaceflight

Not the military, because that would be illegal and require martial law. It was the local and federal police that shutdown Boston and surrounding areas. Considering they ended up in Watertown which was nearby, it was a bunch of local police authorities. It recently came out that the political leaders were against the shutdown, but the security forces prevailed. The mayor of Boston was against a shutdown, but the police got their way. In some ways, it was only possible because of technology. I got robocalls and text messages at 5am with an alert to "remain sheltered in place"

Ugh. That's even worse. I mean, I'm glad no one really wanted it to happen, but the fact that it still did...