Ap .09 Hornet

ArcadeAir

Hi all
I was given an Ap .09 Hornet nitro engine. It is B/N in the box, purchased in 06. From sitting unused, the engine and carb is gummed up. I would like to hear your opinions as to getting this engine back to running condition.

I would also like to know how you folks like to break in your new engines. Last but not least, I am open to suggestions as to what plane kit would be a good choice for this engine. Generally, we would select the plane first, then the engine, but not in my case.
Thanks !

Just a note.... This is my first gas/nitro project

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

Nitro has it's place and I still have a few but I can tell you from friends having that engine, it is a pain to get running right. Also, once running you have to adjust the needle more based on atmospheric changes between runs. I was going to buy two of them on sale a few years ago and a friend guided me away from them and we're both experienced nitro guys, I would not suggest that engine for a newbie without club help.

If you have to use it or offend a relative, then soak it in Antifreeze to free it up. then go ot RCUniverse and search in the nitro engine section for running info.
--Otherwise I would sell it on ebay and get a good 300W, 1200kV motor and be ahead of the game.

ViperTech

I only have 1 nitro plane that I bought used and it was dormant for 2 years and the carb throttle was stuck and the engine turned stiff. I have a couple nitro heli friends and they advised me to use automatic transmission fluid due to its lubrication quality and it's cleaning ability because it contains detergents. I did and it worked perfectly I have 4 flights on the engine and all seems well. That being said I have to side with Monkey, go electric if you can, The worst to me is cleaning up afterwards, cleaning all the oil off is a pain, looked like green snot all over the side of the plane after one flight. Then fuel cost $20.00+ a gallon. I am converting it to electric! So I'll have a Evolution EVOE 100 I be looking to get rid of.

ArcadeAir

Thanks for the input, Folks,
I will say that I did not want my first liquid fueled plane to be so small, but since this thing was a free gift from a co-worker friend, I am going to have to use it.
I remember when I was a kid, I was given a box full of cox .049 engine parts and a cox p-51 mustang control line plane. I build 2 good running engines (if I could get them started) out of the box full of junk parts. Half the time my dad and I would get to the flying field and I couldnt get either engine to start, the other half I would crash the darned plane just about as catastrophically as possible.... and yes, I do remember the mess the fuel makes; I would get it all over me and anything else nearby.
But here I am, with the little Hornet. I am going to put it in a 28 oz Stearman, Tom Herr design.
I am obsessed with the weed whacker thing too. When I am finished with all of my current projects, I want to build a BIG cub... scratch build. I have a great running 40 something cc industrial weed whacker motor collecting dust in the barn that I want to use on it.
I ramble on... anyways, Ill get the little hornet freed up over this weekend.

Thanks for the advice!

Team_Monkey

If you want to see alot of fun weedie and saw conversions come over to spadworld.net. We have done a bunch. And while RCU has tons of conversion info, we usually build a new plane for each one. :)

Feral engineering

I pull out the glowplug and flood the engine with fuel, then slowly start working the engine back and forth till it feels loose, Same with the throttle body. Then re install the glow plug and start it. Once the engine warms up then it will loosen up the rest of the way and be good to go.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
ArcadeAir, nice vids, taken on a nice day in western NY. Just came thru Letchworth area end of baseball season 2014 to watch Yankees in Toronto with a nephew. Grabbed some beef on weck when I got to Batavia, at the Pok-A-Dot, can't get that many other places, at least the way it is meant to be served with horseradish, the aura of which will scour your nasal passages. Anyway, I have a build thread over here, using the ASP 09 - same as yours, just branded differently. I will let you know how maiden goes.
However, all you need to get most engines loosened up is a heat gun. It has never let me down. Sometimes even lightly run engines seem all gummed up and no good, but just a heat gun puts them back all spinny and happy. I have had to really cook some carbs - you just don't want to go too overboard and damage the o-rings. I will literally see the castor bubbling from the heat - that is how hot you have to get it, and you will be all amazed and happy when it gently frees up and starts remembering how to be an engine again.

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete

pok-a-dot restaurant.jpg

Last edited: