DSB-LK - meaning Long Range Strategic Bomber – Flying Wing.

leaded50

Legendary member
Russian design idea by eccentric the Moskaliov.
A Soviet Union aircraft planned in the 1950s that could fly at Mach 4, almost becoming the first hypersonic manned jet, sadly (?) didn’t even get off the drawing board.
Moskaliov explored combining ramjets and, after burning six turbojet engines, which would have pushed the maximum speed beyond Mach 4,
on the ‘fused wing-body/fuselage’ approach, far beyond its time. At around 50 meters long and 30 meters of wingspan, the DSB-LK was massive.
This plane was planned around the same time Lockheed Skunk Works started research on the SR-71 Blackbird.
The DSB-LK appeared exponentially ahead in terms of speed, role, versatility, payload, and even design than the Lockheed Martin SR-71.

For the ones who know me a little, rare, unusal historic planes is my interest in building planes. This will be my first builded "flying wing" because this is so much ahead of its time, that do it interesting. Had it been another design on the "engine pods" it could been a designidea today for 6th+ generation bombers.
Orginally it had 3 "jets" on each side, and on a 1000mm long aircraft model its would given 6 pcs EDF sizes at 25-30mm. Such ones is in production (even 16mm now) but they lack much on thrust. I decided to make it with 2x 50mm EDF´s to gain proper thrust, that gave changes on the sizes of the "engine pods" and also reduction on "engines" to two on each side (where one is a EDF) .

Sovjet Darkstar 2.jpg
Sovjet‘Darkstar.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
started building, here is the plane without top "cover" on fuselage, "engine pods" and wings.
I ned wait to put that on to the mailman does his work and delivered the new styled 50mm EDF´s said to be better that type before. (they are prized close to as a 70mm though :p )
Servos is also missing here, but on order.

Did tryed a float throwed test with the topparts taped on, and it did flew very very nice.

1706526499346Darkstar.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
its weird... but many times it seems like its easier to find designideas/info , or singel prototype info on Sovjet planes, and even many European ones, than by US. Yeah, i found list on lists from early days on singel US made ones or just by small amounts, but mainly info &/or picture/drawing is on the more known branded ones.

leaded50

Legendary member
When also the "topparts" over the EDF´s/air intake/outlet is done. The 3D printed outlet rings are mounted at place....... next is the fuselage internal electric wirings.....

1707406586578.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
That looks fast just sitting there
well as,i feel, the dual 50mm EDF´s would give (shure!) enough power even for vertical fun......... and feels like have a nice floaty long glidepath when want.Last painting (top fuselage) will be done today. Working a bit to make dual wheel gear. Know can be bought, but wanna find out a way to make it my self, eg. without need to wait for delivery.