4 engine winter project ideas needed

tomlogan1

Elite member
I am starting to develop my winter project. I would like to build a 4 engine foam board plane using techniques common to Flite Test models. I have the capacity to 3D print components, but want the plane to be a "foamie" for various reasons.

I am thinking of using 4 2208 brushless motors (https://valuehobby.com/2208-1800kv.html) with 4 20 amp esc (https://valuehobby.com/gforce-20a-esc-xt60.html) to round out the power side of things.

Wingspan cannot exceed 48 inches (1219 mm) as that is all that will fit in my vehicle. Length, again, same dimensions. This probably would mandate 6x4 props.

Speed and aerobatics are not top priorities. I'm just wanting to build a 4 engine foamie that can take off and land repeatedly.

Landing gear would be needed. A tail dragger would be preferred as you eliminate the issue of coordination with the rudder. Differential thrust should help with ground handling and it is very easy to setup on OpenTX.

Thanks for any assistance. If plans are known I would appreciate access to them.

L Edge

Master member
That is a tough order (4 motors, takeoff and land, tail dragger, foam board techniques) so it seems the closest I could find is 3 out of 4 with larger modifications to fit your car. As far as plans, searched around, didn't find.

Only other choice is to take P Sripol known as (Foam and Tape) on RCgroups, his transport and modify it. The only thing to improve it is to move the main gear outward to prevent crosswinds tipping it. Heck, make a second wing and throw a pair of 64 EDF's on it for variety.
Used one for dropping the Shuttle where second pilot lands with elevons.

Anyway, modify this to your scale having FT techniques.

tomlogan1

Elite member
That is a tough order (4 motors, takeoff and land, tail dragger, foam board techniques) so it seems the closest I could find is 3 out of 4 with larger modifications to fit your car. As far as plans, searched around, didn't find.

Only other choice is to take P Sripol known as (Foam and Tape) on RCgroups, his transport and modify it. The only thing to improve it is to move the main gear outward to prevent crosswinds tipping it. Heck, make a second wing and throw a pair of 64 EDF's on it for variety.
Used one for dropping the Shuttle where second pilot lands with elevons.

Anyway, modify this to your scale having FT techniques.

Thanks! Will look into it.

Erasmus80

I've resorted to making the fuselage in three pieces: fore-, mid-, and aft-fuselage for transport. I plan to build a big biplane over the winter (Farman F.60 Goliath) and want to keep the wings in one piece during transport.

Here is the partially disassembled prototype Goliath fuselage in front of the Nomadic (a sport scale GAF Nomad) I'm building to test concepts for the Goliath. The Nomadic is documented in this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_014815233.jpg
    IMG_20231009_014815233.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 0