Help! APM 2.8 oscillating on my 6 inch, will climbs quickly, will drop upside-down if cut throttle in all flight modes

SumukhaS

Hi,
I recently ordered a APM 2.8, and here is my quad-x specification,

APM 2.8 oscillating on my 6 inch, will climbs quickly, will drop upside-down if cut throttle in all flight modes

6 inch - qav250,
6045 props
simonK esc

I reduced my P stabilized from 4.5 to 4.3, but the problem got worse...

SumukhaS

Mission Planner is on your PC, what version of ArduPilot (copter) is on the APM 2.8? Did you select presets for a 6" 250 quad? Did you calibrate your ESCs?

LB
I have calibrated my esc, and I'm using
3.2.1-FIRMWARE_VERSION_TYPE_OFFICIAL

I heard we have presets, but I'm not able to find them on mission planner.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
APM 2.8 has been out of support for a long time and does not support the newer tuning features. It appears that the "old" initial tuning profiles may no longer be part of mission planner.

SumukhaS

APM 2.8 has been out of support for a long time and does not support the newer tuning features. It appears that the "old" initial tuning profiles may no longer be part of mission planner.
Is there anything I can do for atleast basic smooth flying with gps reliably or it's not easy to get it to fly. I see very few videos online for APM 2.8 with 6 inch

I have a f550 frame also where it flies okay, but with gps wasn't a smooth flight.
(I'm using bm880 gps + compass)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you need to manually tune your PIDs. Record the current setting so you can return to them if necessary. Then turn the I &D to 0. Then begin raising the P until it begins to oscillate, then back it off slightly, 5-10%. Next raise the I until it begins to oscillate, the oscillating will be much slower than the P oscillating, then back it off a bit. The I will be somewhere about half of the P. Finally raise D until it begins to oscillate, the oscillating will be super slow, then back it off a bit.

There is likely a video that explains the process better but I have been unable to find one.

SumukhaS

Thankyou soo much guys
It means a lot to me

I'll go through them and make necessary changes and get back once I have an update